Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 12:11:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioFANS
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: FANS  (Read 956 times)
Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« on: May 31, 2015, 06:48:43 AM »

Hello TigSources! I'm in a bit of a pickle and would like some feedback on the matter!

I am currently working on a soundtrack that includes live instrumentation, and the only viable recording space is in my bedroom. With that being said, I am struggling with fan noise. I have done research online -- building a sound reduction box, eq'ing out the sound (NEVER), izotop'ing the recording, moving the microphone, and the ever persistent "move the computer" response.

In all, the last option would be the one I vie for, but it isn't conducive. I have tried moving the microphone as far away as humanly possible, going as far as recording with my back to the sound in hopes of blocking some of the passage, but to no avail.

I make sure that no other programs are live, except for the ones I currently need, and... it is still a huge problem. I am thinking of investing in the soundbox, but I really don't think it'll do me much good.

Any suggestions? Feedback?

ZackParrish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 06:57:11 AM »

I'm assuming it's the computers fans you are having problems with? Isolation box is a perk to have, or if you have an empty or sort of empty closet that can work even better(will give you a stupidly dry / clean recording).

You can also try playing with the settings on your preamp(if you are using one or a mixer) by lowering the input and increasing the output. Isn't 100% but usually helps remove a good deal of room noise.

Lastly, depending on the type of build you have for a computer, you can try migrating it to a noise cancelling case or just line the current case with noise cancelling foam. If you are on a laptop however that's not really feasible.

And a second lastly to the previous, can always look into finding low noise fans, those are a thing. Not sure how much they cost because I just used the noise cancelling case for my PC and it's done the trick for me.

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 07:51:34 AM »

Hey Zack,

I appreciate the feedback! Sorry if I wasn't specific - the computer fans are indeed the source of my problems. I DO have closet space I could use, but it'd be a little tight (and dark), so I'm not too sure I can use that.  So far, it looks like a noise canceling case would be my best bet, although recording in my closet may be a second point of interest. I can always throw a lamp in there and see how it works.

Thanks again!

dawid w. mika
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 08:47:16 AM »

You can also take advantage of your microphone's pattern. If you are using anything other than omni directional mic you can simply place your computer in it's 'deaf' zone and this should do the trick (or at least help a lot). Just check this microphone patterns diagram: http://notesonpodcasting.blogspot.com/2012/04/microphone-patterns.html

Hitrison
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 10:17:34 AM »

You could make a bass trap or two and put them in front of or around the computer instead of making a whole dedicated iso-case (bass traps are super easy to make, mine was even simpler than the pdf I linked as I just glued rigid fiberglass on top of a flat wood frame).  I had to do that with an old central AC unit and it worked pretty well, though it doesn't look pretty.

WittyNotes
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 11:33:06 AM »

I personally have set up my recording rig such that my computer is outside the room where I record, and that works pretty well. That said, here are a few desperate attempts for you to consider:

1. Tent fort. If the instruments in question are small enough (or you're doing voice work), a blanket fort can go a long way.
2. Bundle your PC. Wrap it in layers of cardboard and bubblewrap.
3. Interface. I had a persistent noise in all of my recordings until I switched from using USB microphones to using an actual interface. I can't more highly recommend it.

I'm sure you've already had these things cross your mind. Now, I know you don't want to use EQ, but for the record a nicely targeted EQ cut on the right frequency can work in conjunction with these other methods very nicely.
bbtombo
Level 1

lvl 2 spellcaster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 04:53:06 PM »

it's not really a physical setup tip, but a low-pass filter works GREAT on removing the lower-end background noise!

bbtombo
Level 1

lvl 2 spellcaster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 04:54:08 PM »

the AU lowpass that comes with mac is really simple and gets the job done!

Audiosprite
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 05:59:42 PM »

You can also equip your computer with quieter chassis fans.

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2015, 07:48:31 PM »

Hey guys, thanks a ton for the awesome feedback!

@Dawid:
Your post has me intrigued! I plan to experiment with deadzones in regards to my microphone (unsure if it is omnidirectional, though I doubt it is), to see if that will do the trick!

@Hit:
I was actually curious about acoustic set-up in my room (..which is nonexistent). I checked out a few articles and, truth be told, I have no idea where I would fit a basstrap in my room, since all of the "corners" I would deem viable, spacewise, are occupied by dressers. Still, I will take that into account! Acoustics is another beast entirely!

@Witty:
1. I didn't think of a tent fort. Most of what I am doing currently is with guitar, so I guess a tent fort wouldn't be plausible.
2. That goes back to a variation of ISO. Now, cardboard and bubble-wrap is new to me. I'll take that into consideration!
3. I have recently switched my interface. I am using a microphone interface (recommended by Dawid!), and am getting used to cardoid mics set-up with phantom-power.

I won't rule out EQ'ing entirely. I'll just make sure that whatever I decide doesn't botch the recording.

@Neaptide:
Thanks Neap! I can try that out ASAP, actually!

@Audiosprite:
I was looking at getting external cooling fans, too. I googled a few and they aren't pricey s,o I think I can manage that.

Great advice! Thanks guys.

TopherPirkl
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2015, 08:35:50 PM »

If the fans are fairly consistent (i.e. not ramping up and down) you could try Audacity's noise reduction utility. If it's a really wide-band fan sound, it might remove too much of the spectrum throughout the file. I used it a ton before I got Izotope RX, and it works surprisingly well.

That being said, if you want to see if RX could do the trick of removing the fan noise after the fact, I'd be more than happy to try my hand at it! I've had RX for a while but haven't really put it through its paces, so I'd enjoy the opportunity to get some practice and help out a TIGger in the process.

Also, from experience, low noise fans work surprisingly well, and there are a handful out there that aren't much more than standard fans. I got the largest low-noise fans I could fit in my case (which is also a baffled case) and the loudest thing in it is the CPU cooler, which isn't a low noise model.

Sound Designer | @phantomfreq | Demo reel
Breakdown Epiphanies
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 04:06:50 AM »

Since I've started using one of these on my vocal and guitar recordings, I don't need those blanket forts anymore:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tbone_micscreen.htm

It's surprising how much background noise and reflection gets canceled by this tiny screen.

Another approach would be a better isolation of your PC:
http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2007/09/09/be_quiet_pc_noise_absorber_kit/1

Though my advice would be to hold off on that until you get a new system as you will need to fit everything in the case and maybe take some measurements first.
You could go for a case that is already optimized for quiet performance:
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2006/01/25/antec_p180/1
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2014/07/09/nanoxia-deep-silence-6-review/1

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 09:38:11 AM »

@Topher: Thanks a ton! I am trying to take the least taxing/cost effective avenues out of the way. I would definitely appreciate your help, especially knowing that it helps you get your feet wet again!

@B.E.: Wow! The T-Bone looks like a great investment! The "Be Quiet" felt looks interesting as well. Is it for desktops, though? I'm working on a laptop currently.

I have recently tried the deadspot approach. It seemed to yield good results (albeit the noise I picked-up from my sister/cousin's reality tv show binge). I am going to try it again in a more conducive enviornment. The T-Bone Mic screen has really gotten my attention, though.

Thanks again for the fabulous help, guys!

Breakdown Epiphanies
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2015, 08:48:51 AM »

@B.E.: Wow! The T-Bone looks like a great investment! The "Be Quiet" felt looks interesting as well. Is it for desktops, though? I'm working on a laptop currently.

Yes, the felt is for desktops only as far as I know. I think that with a laptop things are more difficult. Usually they are louder because there is so much stuff crammed into such little space. The fans produce more noise because they are smaller in diameter and have to turn more rapidly. Plus usually a laptop CPU will be less powerful than a desktop solution for the same price and will get hotter running the applications, so it needs more cooling (=fans are turining even quicker).

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic