Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 01:56:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesGame Club: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: Game Club: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night  (Read 6923 times)
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2015, 12:05:34 PM »

Oh yeah, I played Harmony Of Dissonance years before SOTN (Yes, I am weird) and I think I was slightly disappointed that you can only back dash. Given SOTN's controls, I can understand why they didn't have a forward dash. That and they possibly didn't even think about it. lol

Yes, Alucard's running is cool. I was thinking that yesterday. Hell, all of his movements are. I literally randomly hit the down or up because I love his ducking and upright animation so much. Cheesy

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2015, 02:00:16 PM »

you're not weird; i did that too. the castlevania double pack with HoD and AoS (aka the only good thing to come out of that budget double game trend at the end of the gba's lifespan) was my first experience with any castlevania game.

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2015, 03:21:39 PM »

I did the same. I had started a long ago sotn but never proceeded past the first boss. Then i played all three gba games, beating aos and hod. Only now i am also resuming my cotm run too

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2015, 04:04:43 PM »

I'm stomped on COTM. I played a tiny bit of Aria and a good amount of Circle Of The Moon about 10 years ago and before SOTN as well.

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Maelfyn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2015, 04:41:31 PM »

One of my favorite PS1 games. The soundtrack was amazing, too.

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2015, 04:44:33 PM »

Off the top of my head, Richter's fight theme (forget the name to it), Crystal Teardrops and Beginning Jazz (Saturn version) are my favorites.

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Faust06
Level 5

terminally laid-back

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2015, 07:43:41 AM »

I'm stomped on COTM. I played a tiny bit of Aria and a good amount of Circle Of The Moon about 10 years ago and before SOTN as well.

COTM is underrated.
SousaVilla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2015, 07:58:40 AM »

I'll try to give the game another go, but it was so slow and clunky. It felt like it didnt decided wheter it wanted to be a classic castlevania or a igavania. The movement didnt fit the exploration side of the game, in my opinion.
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2015, 08:29:42 AM »

COTM is underrated.
I really like it. Probably my 2nd favorite Igavania so far (I've only beaten 2 Cheesy Cheesy)

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2015, 11:01:48 AM »

its not an igavania tho.

the game is rather rough, but once you aquire all your skills, the platforming and the challenge shine. potions are completely worthless tho, and i would wish they didnt reuse the armors and the flying elemental demons so much as they did.

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2015, 11:54:26 AM »

Why isn't it? I think at least one of the other 2 GBA Castlevanias weren't worked on by Iga himself but I'm sure I heard that Iga wanted to originally put COTM on Gameboy Color, hence its color scheme. Which I like. Circle Of The Moon seems to have a love it or hate it look, judging by others opinions.

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2015, 12:28:53 PM »

iga and his tokyo team produced and developed hod and aos. kobe team was in chanrge of cotm (and legacy of darkness)

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2015, 12:53:12 PM »

So I misremembered again? Tired

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2015, 12:55:16 PM »

yes

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2015, 03:50:17 PM »

ok maybe im just really bad but im having a hard time with SOTN at the moment. i thought this was supposed to be an easy game? maybe i need to grind more levels idk.

basically im in the royal chapel right now (didnt play a lot over the last few days but just picked back up) and its just this long ass sequence without any checkpoints and enemies that do a shitload of damage and a boss at the end. there are some enemies i have no idea how to deal with without either getting hit a lot or wasting all my hearts (like the spectral sword).

EDIT: nvm got gud and beat hippogryph B)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 04:25:35 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: June 14, 2015, 04:30:05 PM »

royal chapel and the clock tower are the harder parts of the first half. the stairs are no trouble once you can figure out properly the dragon head range, but those fucking crows, arrrgh.

also, the psectral sword is better to just ignore.

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2015, 07:49:23 PM »

I'm not sure whether the Crissaegrim received very little playtesting or the devs intended for it to be ridiculously powerful. Once you get one even Luck Mode becomes a cakewalk.

I'm pretty sure I said it before but I like all the useless items that are in the game. There's a lot of goofy food items that restore piddling amounts of health but are just interesting to see and read the descriptions. The peanut item is brilliant and serves no practical purpose but to be fun. Two heaven swords unlock a pointlessly weak but extremely cool special attack.

The bosses at the end of the game are really inconsistent in difficulty - by that point most of them are effortless unless you intentionally downgrade your equipment. It's kind of disappointing, because they're mechanically interesting and varied (especially beelzebub) but unless you go out of your way to avoid fighting and gaining levels you'll never experience that. I really liked how the later DS games addressed that with modes that capped your level and gave you an incentive to evade those attacks.

The Ghost familiar is pretty weak even when he hits his 30s. He has trouble tracking fast enemies, and the more powerful enemies like Knights he has a bad habit of ignoring. Still, once in a while he'll help out on a boss and do appreciable damage or kill some inconveniently positioned enemies like Nova Skeletons. I'm not sure if I like the way familiars quietly upgrade or not. It's fun when you notice the small changes in behavior, or the familiar does some new trick, but when the differences are really small (like in the ghost) you might not notice any change at all. I'm a little disappointed to think that I might get the ghost to 50 and not notice his behavior change significantly enough to be able to point out what he's doing differently.

Probably will beat the boss in the next two days and work on the best ending over the weekend.
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2015, 02:14:57 AM »

One Crissaegrim is almost cheating but if you get two it's like, man, why did Dracula even bother getting out of bed just take the day off man.

The special moves you can do with some of the weapons is a pretty cool feature that got the chop in subsequent games. I didn't even know they had 'em until after the third time I beat the game 'cause I was using the shield rod and did the Gradius shield thingy move by accident. Then I had to go over all the other weapons to see if there were more and I still haven't seen everything this game has and how many years has it been now?

Other cool weapons are the Fist Of Tulkas (so you can Hadouken and do Kenshiro punches), Jewel Sword for cash and shinies and that throwing sword that has text in it's trail because it looks pretty cool. I'd add the Muramasa but it's boring to grind Dark Octopi to level it up. Also all of the Alucart gear for the luck bonus. Yeah, I thought it was useless too.
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2015, 06:20:12 PM »

I didn't even think about holding two Heaven Swords or Crissaegrims

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 27, 2015, 07:46:19 AM »

Remember when Game Club had its own forum? Good times...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic