Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 02:22:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesGame Club: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: Game Club: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night  (Read 6924 times)
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 27, 2015, 08:08:42 AM »

I actually thought that Sotn feels clunky after all the GBA games just because there is no good fast-moving abilities.
For example later games you get superjump late in the game which is the most fun ability ever and there is ways just to dash through enemies with some abilities.
Of course movement wont feel that smooth because of hardware limitations. Just have an experiment: play ps platformer, then 16-bit and then nes and then youll see the true power of blast processing. jump from 8-bit to 16-bit was not just more colors, it was like jumping from silent hill 1 to gta 3 in terms of gamefeel and controls.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 27, 2015, 08:15:44 AM »

Remember when Game Club had its own forum? Good times...

that forum died because no one looked at it. so no, not good times at all.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: June 27, 2015, 10:29:15 AM »

I actually thought that Sotn feels clunky after all the GBA games just because there is no good fast-moving abilities.
For example later games you get superjump late in the game which is the most fun ability ever and there is ways just to dash through enemies with some abilities.

Ummm you do get superjump on sotn...

I dont think the hardware limitations prevented moevment from being smooth. Go play mario galaxy and then mario 64. most of them are diesign choices /programming skill issues, not hardware. Little Nemo has some awesome controls for example.

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 27, 2015, 10:38:08 AM »

Ummm you do get superjump on sotn...

I dont think the hardware limitations prevented moevment from being smooth. Go play mario galaxy and then mario 64. most of them are diesign choices /programming skill issues, not hardware. Little Nemo has some awesome controls for example.
Its superjump is weird and hard to make. In cotm and aria you are superman. Not to mention durga dash.
Also i meant GBA games, they obviously cant have movement as smooth as PSone or N64, not to mention lower amount of pixels on screen.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2015, 08:45:43 AM »

Also i meant GBA games, they obviously cant have movement as smooth as PSone or N64, not to mention lower amount of pixels on screen.

Ah, I misread, my bad. Agreed on that. I think the reduced FOV in general was to its detriment, although I am aware they did it for the sake of readability (cotm went overboard and on a small screen, it is not quite readable)

I must agree that the GBA games overall control better.

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: July 01, 2015, 02:36:09 PM »

I finally played some more over the last two days..can't get past the first Doppelganger.

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 01, 2015, 02:49:31 PM »

I finally played some more over the last two days..can't get past the first Doppelganger.

It's possible to goad him into jumping at you immediately after he recovers from a hit. Experiment a little with backing off when you score a hit and seeing how he reacts. If you find the right timing and distance, you can get him to jump at you where you can score an easy hit every time.

If you still have trouble there's a sidepath in the Marble Gallery that leads back to the entrance hall you can explore. It has a couple of difficult monsters that will result in you gaining a level or two, and I think has at least one lifeup to grab.

The last trick is to go to the bottom of the outer wall where there's a mist grate blocking a room. The room directly above it (guarded by a reasonably powerful knight) has a breakaway wall with an item in it. If you stand in the broken section of wall for about 30 seconds an elevator will appear and take you into the locked room where you can get a strong weapon and armor that should make the fight easy.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2015, 01:35:18 AM »

It really just bogs down to exploiting its AI honestly. You jump a bit over his jump height, fall behind him, hit him, rinse and repeat. You pretty much do this for Richter, Maria and the second doppleganger too.

Keops
Level 6

Pixellin' and Gamedev'n

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: July 06, 2015, 03:23:14 PM »

It's one of my favorite games ever. Sure, there are some inconsistencies with the quality of spritework and some recycling, but overall the art of the game is very good. The menu, like Silbereisen said is probably the roughest part of the package. I think I remember IGA said in the Double Fine dev video that it's actually the same menu they used when they were debugging/testing the game, and because they ran out of time/money they just left it like that.

I love this game, even if, after beating it too many times, I find it incredibly easy. However it is also possible to challenge yourself by playing the game with self-imposed restrictions (Alucard Naked challenge, using a non-convenional build, like an Estoc for main weapon, no magic, etc...).

The music is one of the reasons I keep coming back. Man, such a great OST.

I recently played it again on my PS3, still remember all the secret rooms and item drops. Crissaegrim is just gamebreakingly powerful, but I can't help it and whenever I reach the inverted castle, I head for the library and farm those Schmoos heh

"What's is a man?"

Cheers!

Hearthstead: Hand Point Right Website - Twitter Hand Point Left

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS! Behance portfolio
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: July 20, 2015, 03:42:01 AM »

Well, now that this has been a concluded thing, how many of you played it the hard way, without abusing any of the spells or super-jumps? (down-up-jump; works in the air too)

I JUST got my PS3 back, and might take this game for another spin. It's been a little while, and just seeing this thread makes me almost want to retool a "Castlevania mode" into Gentrieve.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic