Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 11:37:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeTips for Overhauling Indie Game Graphics on Limited Budget
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Tips for Overhauling Indie Game Graphics on Limited Budget  (Read 1372 times)
Koobazaur
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: May 31, 2015, 05:57:19 PM »

Hey Guys!

I'm the Lead Developer on "Karaski: What Goes Up..." an open-ended, story-driven investigation onboard a damaged Airship; find the saboteur, or risk becoming suspect! Deus Ex meets Clue with a bit of Telltale.

Over the course of development it became clear the graphics of the game needed to be significantly reworked. My blocky programmer art wouldn't do! But the problem was: while I had budget to create missing assets and do some touch ups, I did not plan to completely overhaul it.

But in the end I found a way to vastly improve the look of the game while still staying within my (slightly increased) budget range. Just wanted to share my recent blog posts with All The Tips and explanations of how we managed it.
Hope this is some useful food for thought for all you other Indie Devs Smiley Lemme know what you think!
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 08:40:52 PM »

The new style is looking really good, keep it up and thanks for the write up  Smiley
DanglinBob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 07:39:09 AM »

I'm always a fan of style over sheer graphic quality, so excellent work Smiley It ain't about the number of triangles, it's about how you use em!
Code_Assassin
Level 5

freedom

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 02:31:02 PM »

Thanks for the writeup, this was helpful! Finding that balance between asset creation and production is something all teams struggle with at some point or another.
Koobazaur
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 03:59:41 PM »

Thanks for positive feedback, glad you guys found it useful  Smiley
Sir Fishelsworth
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 03:23:36 AM »

Nice article. Art assets always seem to take way longer to produce than expected.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic