Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:47:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamespost your fight sticks / arcades / etc / fighting game discussion
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: post your fight sticks / arcades / etc / fighting game discussion  (Read 5259 times)
Conker
« on: June 04, 2015, 05:05:57 PM »

Do any of you guys play fighting games seriously?

I play quite a bit of Smash and Blazblue myself. I got tired of using a xbox controller for BB, so I'm starting to build my own arcade cabinet to play BB (and I guess streetfighter/whatever else I have on steam)

Has anyone else made a arcade cabinet/fight stick etc
or own arcade sticks with custom stuff?

« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 08:30:03 PM by Conker » Logged
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 09:24:28 AM »

I'll throw up a pic of my home-made cabinet when I get home. (at work at the moment) It's quite old at this point, I've been meaning to upgrade it. But I've been focused on a game-development related project recently, so I simply haven't had the time.

I'd love to see more of this though. I love arcade construction and design. I've actually been thinking of experimenting with using some arduino boards as the basis for a new cross-platform arcade controller.
Conker
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 09:31:53 AM »

I'd love to see it!

Yeah I'm really new to arcade construction myself and its something I've been really enjoying.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 10:09:26 AM »

I've got a half-built arcade stick myself, though it's not in any state to post pictures. Using Suzo-Happ buttons, bat sticks, and octogonal (although can obv switch out p easy) gates, since I'm using it primarily for fighting games. Very much think the obsession with ball sticks is silly; they are super uncomfortable for games with a lot of quick precise movements (fighting games and danmaku).

---

Also: play good fighting games. You're playing the worst fighting games! I mean, they're fun and pretty good games, but bad for competition and building good fighting game habits that translate cross-game. My recommendations:

- Ultra Street Fighter 4 (or 2: Super Turbo): The undisputed kings and a good for building the most basic skills like footsies and zoning.
- King of Fighters 13: Extremely technical play, forces you to get inputs and timing extremely precise for long combos
- Marvel vs Capcom 3: Forces you to think about team composition and assists in tagging.
- Guilty Gear Xrd (or Accent Core): Requires smart and persistent use of aerial fighting.
- Tekken Tag Tournament 2: The only good 3D fighting game series.
- Melty Blood (or Under Night In Birth): Encourages aggressive, evasive play; builds good rushdown habits.

*cue 500 page thread about what fighting games to play*
Conker
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 10:27:07 AM »

I agree that USF4 is best for skill building. Because my fighting game foundation is based of Smash it was really hard to get into tradition fighting games. I'm glad I made the switch though, Smash 4 showed me smash is not forever.. Sad

Anyways you think BB is bad for competition? I really enjoy high level BB gameplay. I think its just as good as SF gameplay.

Ball tops are not very good but they looks super cool for casual cabinet play  Cool
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 11:04:25 AM »

I dont have a stick alas. but i will always swear by capcom vs snk 2.

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 12:18:06 PM »

I've got a half-built arcade stick myself, though it's not in any state to post pictures. Using Suzo-Happ buttons, bat sticks, and octogonal (although can obv switch out p easy) gates, since I'm using it primarily for fighting games. Very much think the obsession with ball sticks is silly; they are super uncomfortable for games with a lot of quick precise movements (fighting games and danmaku).{
Used a lot to joke about the fact that japanese gamers use ball sticks and korean gamers use bat sticks.

(I've been highly active in the tekken community until till Tekken 6 and had top stop before tekken tag2 , lack of opponements in the area i lived)
You need to think in term of evolution. Gaming Community evolves and follows the new games.
SF --> sf5
tekken --> tekken7
(...)
blazblue--> BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma Extend  

IT's just that the BlazBlue community is relatively small compared to the others.

It's good to make some research about people you could meet in your area. If you have no one to play against you'll never progress, and to progress you need skilled people. the biggest the community the higher chance you get to progress. (ah right online evolved so much the last years)

« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 12:23:31 PM by bakkusa » Logged
Dragonmaw
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 02:01:31 PM »

I agree that USF4 is best for skill building. Because my fighting game foundation is based of Smash it was really hard to get into tradition fighting games. I'm glad I made the switch though, Smash 4 showed me smash is not forever.. Sad

Anyways you think BB is bad for competition? I really enjoy high level BB gameplay. I think its just as good as SF gameplay.

Ball tops are not very good but they looks super cool for casual cabinet play  Cool

BB doesn't play as well as its older brother (Guilty Gear) and with Xrd there's not really a good reason to keep playing BB, I think. My personal problem with it is that I can't tell what's going on, whereas I can usually understand a fighting game, even ones I've never played before.

It's an extraordinarily pretty game but I can't really think of anything it does that GG doesn't do better.
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 02:16:24 PM »

how does one even play a fighting game i can't understand it

dead or alive 5+ came with my ps vita. it's pretty and i've always had a soft spot for doa's multi-tiered arenas and insane background animation but i can't understand how to play it. i'm just kind of failing upwards through the story mode and winning by accident when i do. similarly when i play arcade fighters like street fighter at galloping ghosts i don't get them at all

this is a serious question, fighting games besides smash brothers (which i've gotten better at over time) just seem like nonsense to me in a way no other game type does, and it kills me because fighting games tend to be some of the most beautiful games ever made

Dragonmaw
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 03:24:51 PM »

it's mostly a matter of learning the basic flow of how a fight progresses. the cadence of a fight, and the concepts that dictate that cadence.

for example, in street fighter, these concepts dictate the cadence: zoning (forcing enemies into certain situations through skill or attack use), footsies (baiting out or setting up attacks), cross-ups and mixing (when to attack low, normal, and high), and simple combos.

if you're interested in street fighter, i suggest running through the tutorial, watching some tournaments, and attempt trials.
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 05:57:14 PM »

this is a serious question, fighting games besides smash brothers (which i've gotten better at over time) just seem like nonsense to me
That's interesting since to me smash brothers seems like nonsense while Tekken has a clean structure you can build on. In any case you won't miss out much except you are a fan of that genre. Fighters are rather primitive games, but they have their exciting mind game moments.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Conker
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 06:27:09 PM »

my question to you is how many hours do you have in X fighting game?

just playing them will make them more clear. spend time getting past the cluttered beginning and just have fun. over time you will just understand them more.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 06:32:57 PM by Conker » Logged
Dragonmaw
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 08:26:26 PM »

in street fighter as a series? probably a few hundred hours

sf4? probably around 100

i think the fighting game i've played the most of is mvc2. spent a lot of money in college playing it
Conker
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2015, 08:29:26 PM »

in arcade? I'm jealous. I don't know if its just the appeal of something I can't have anymore but the arcade setting seemed really cool before home consoles and internet gaming.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2015, 09:23:52 PM »

The first fightstick I ever got. Quite a good stick for 40$. This is where the addiction began.

This was given to me by my fiancee for my birthday one year. That was one of the major flags she was the one. This is still my goto stick. The buttons are Sanwa (IIRC it's supposed to be exact SF4 Japanese arcade parts). The buttons have the best feel, ultra responsive and loose.

This is the newest addition to my collection. Only 500 made. Managed to track one down on a Canadian joystick re-seller. I saw it and how gorgeous it was so it was the first thing I spent money on when I finally got a decent paying job. The buttons and joystick light up blue so it's a bit of a signal stick. I've learned to fake out buttons on some people I play who do peripheral reads.

The buttons and stick are qanba. Pretty good buttons overall. Not quite as good as the previous stick but still really good. Also came with this great carry bag I use as a backpack and get a lot of comments about. That's about the peak of my fashion life.

I want this one but it's impossible to find.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 09:30:32 PM by InfiniteStateMachine » Logged

Conker
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2015, 10:09:33 PM »

I love this one. Looks slick.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2015, 10:21:02 PM »

the white one is a damn good stick.
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2015, 01:11:22 AM »

I was lucky to live in south korea around 1996 2002 because arcades where everywhere. Overtime you get to play against a lot of different people and here Tekken and kof were extremely popular. Unfortunately they started to disappear with the introduction of "Pc bang" (PC rooms) and then online gaming.
Still really nostalgic of that period. You get to exchange technics , getting advice IRl and it was somewhat cool.
you get also into real fights when you confront ragers lol.
You really need a lot of diversity in your opponements to progress, otherwise you get the syndrom of i only know how to defeat my best friend. (your mind game will evolve according to the people who play with)

I have difficulties to switch to 2d fighting (sf , kof, gg) since i only play tekken on a competitive level, the gameplay is completely different on too many levels.

Yeah the mind gaming is what is the most exciting part of fighting game.

I stopped using sticks , but i'd purchase one if i want to Kazuya Electric Wind God Fist
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 01:32:31 AM by bakkusa » Logged
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2015, 04:55:53 AM »

- Ultra Street Fighter 4 (or 2: Super Turbo): The undisputed kings and a good for building the most basic skills like footsies and zoning.
- Marvel vs Capcom 3: Forces you to think about team composition and assists in tagging.
I agree with everything else here, but I gotta rant about these two games for a second.

Ultra Street Fighter 4 is overloaded with option selects and setups and shit like that. There's a reason people sometimes call is Super Macro Fighter. Also, some combo timings just make no goddamn sense and are as hard to execute as any KoF maneuver. For example, you can't really even beging to play Abel unless you can nail the 1 frame link of his step kick every single time. In general, I feel Street Fighter 4 is way harder than people usually say and it's  really quite ugly in some areas.

Marvel vs. Capcom 3, on a proper to high level, has combos that basically drop a character outright. There's basically no reason to even think about combinations or strategy until you get the execution down in the practice mode - which some people might never even reach. Also, that game is a mess of colors, flashing lights and sound. I generally understand what's going on in fighting games, but if you spam projectile assists while superjumping / flying and throwing out your own projectiles, noone can see shit and there's an unending barrage of crap flying around. Sure, the team composition stuff is fun - but you don't need it in that many other games, and the barrier of entry is really high, I feel.

EDIT: Almost forgot, I think Soul Calibur 5 is an excellent 3D fighter - except for the just frame defense stuff being always better than the parry (that costs meter). I think that's pretty shit design. Other than that, great game.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2015, 06:14:57 AM »

i've never heard anybody refer to sf4 as "super macro fighter" and while you're right on one-frame links being bullshit they are mercifully not super necessary, even for abel (who benefits the most from a one-frame link)

i've heard people refer to street fighter as "flowchart fighter" before, at least at low levels, because it's easy to play flowchart online and against your average player.

street fighter is hard, but it's hard because it's weighty. it violates a lot of modern fighting game design (hard combo links, no blocking in mid-air, etc) but that's bc sf the base upon which all other games are built.

it's honestly not that difficult to learn. i'd even go so far as to say that sf4 is the easiest fighting game to start getting good at
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic