Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:36:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamespost your fight sticks / arcades / etc / fighting game discussion
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: post your fight sticks / arcades / etc / fighting game discussion  (Read 5292 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2015, 07:54:12 PM »

Now that a ryu is in smash with relevant faithful hybrid control ...

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2015, 12:26:52 AM »

The most entry level fighting game that I've ever played is Super Gem Fighter which aside from being dead easy to play is a really good game.
JWK5
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2015, 09:35:32 AM »

For that matter, Power Stone 1 and 2 for the DreamCast (another game playable via emulator) are pretty fun fighting games as well and are incredibly beginner-friendly.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2015, 09:58:45 AM »

Do you mean a pacman style arcade machine? I couldnt play fighting games on that.

You're thinking about a traditional cocktail-cabinet. I'm thinking lower to the ground, like an actual coffee table. And built with a flat-panel display.

I'm also not necessarily thinking about running fighting games on it. (though it would be possible) And I specifically wasn't thinking about having the arcade controls directly attached to the system. (either wireless, or alternative control system)

Ah ok. I'm personally not a fan of looking down at a coffee table except maybe if I'm in a theme restaurant (they wanted to do something like that here in Vancouver but the stupid city relates video games to gambling)

If I'd want to get into fighting games which one would I pick as the "entry level" one?

I'd say mortal kombat with their insanely forgiving dial-a-combo system

Dragonmaw
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2015, 10:21:07 AM »

If I'd want to get into fighting games which one would I pick as the "entry level" one?

To just enjoy them? Pretty much whatever looks neat to you.

To get good at them? Street Fighter 2 or 4.

Not exaggerating when I say SF is the most important fighting game for a nascent player to learn
JWK5
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2015, 10:57:27 AM »

To just enjoy them? Pretty much whatever looks neat to you.

To get good at them? Street Fighter 2 or 4.

Not exaggerating when I say SF is the most important fighting game for a nascent player to learn
Virtua Fighter 4 or 5 if you're going 2.5D (as in, side-stepping). The nice thing about VF is that even as a beginner you still have a decent chance to make things happen but for two experienced players will be dancing all over the match.

Dead or Alive 5 got pretty technical and similar to the VF series, but I really don't like what they've done with it. Graphically it is a nice step up (not talking about the boobies here) but they pretty much butchered all the fun of the DoA games control-wise and made it very newbie-unfriendly (and the overpriced endless barrage of cleavage-DLC is pretty sickening).
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2015, 12:28:08 PM »

i forgot to ever elabroate why i recommend sf2, and this is why:

http://shoryuken.com/srk/FightingGamePrimer.pdf

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2015, 12:52:59 PM »

Did you just post a 135 page PDF as an argument for why street fighter 2 is easier to learn? Huh?

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2015, 12:58:00 PM »

im expecting you would at least read it.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2015, 12:59:20 PM »

I will and actually am reading it right now. I'm just saying it looks super ironic  Tongue

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2015, 01:11:31 PM »

it is if you dont read it

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2015, 02:06:23 PM »

it's 135p easy to learn, get a diploma at the end

JWK5
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2015, 02:15:47 PM »

The best primer you'll get playing fighting games is to pick one and jump into arcade mode. Some time spent pummeling the AI is usually good enough in just about any fighting game to show you the ropes. Next, jump into practice mode and start really learning the moves (most games include an in-game move list, but you can always get one off the internet if not). After that, there are plenty of fighting games sites out there that will help you learn some of the more nuanced functions. Above all else, play with other people (if possible), online or offline. Learning to read people is not something you will get good at unless you've spent time actually trying.

That said, there's really no best beginning fighting game to start with, not even Street Fighter (2 or otherwise). All fighting games operate with various differences and your best bet is to pick one that looks interesting that people are still playing (so that you actually have some competition to work with and learn from). I started with SF2, but I am a fighting game junkie and pretty much have played just about anything I can get my hands on fighting game-related. With most any game beyond your first you are pretty much starting from square one (outside some basic knowledge common to all fighting games). You're not going to go straight from Street Fighter into Tekken with the same level of play you had in Street Fighter (in most cases). Even slight changes in the way one game moves its characters from another will take a good deal of adjusting to. Fighting games  are even more touchy than FPS when it comes to really honing your eye-to-hand coordination.

Pick a game and jump in, either you'll get into the game's groove or you won't. Either way, there are plenty of options out there so just go with what is most enjoyable to you.

EDIT: On another note, if you want to get fit and develop a more calm mind when it comes to the frustration of being defeated in the game (especially repeatedly), the rule I have is that every time I am defeated I have to do a set number of reps of a physical exercise (different each times, and the reps increase by 1 or 2 daily). This works well for me because I either get better at winning (because I don't want to exercise) or I get a workout, and because I immediately go from the game to physical exertion the frustration goes away almost immediately since my body goes into "cool down" once I finish the exercise and my mind has been focused on completing the exercise not how I "should have" won or how "unfair" it seems or whatever. It also makes me feel better about killing time on a video game since no matter how good I get there is always someone better, so I am almost guaranteed to get some exercise.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 02:30:05 PM by JWK5 » Logged
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2015, 02:06:38 PM »

Alright, so in the last two weeks or so, I've played a bunch of SFII, beaten it once with Ryu, started reading that big PDF (which is super useful btw), remembered that I have SFIV on my 3DS for some reason, gotten up to Seth in arcade mode before giving up and am now doing the combo challenges for Ryu, where I got to level 14 so far. Im also able to perform all of Ryu's moves reliably, which I'm kinda proud of, actually. If what I've read so far is true however, I've only scratched the surface of the noobiest of things to know about the game.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2015, 07:33:11 PM »

BTW here are evo 2015 stats

SF4 - 2227,
SM4SH - 1926,
MELEE - 1869,

MKX - 1162,
GG - 968,
MAHVEL - 816,
TEKKEN 7 - 458,
P4U - 437,
KI - 397

there is a split in the force

SMASH STATS -
SSBM and not Smash4: 1353
Smash4 and not SSBM: 1141
Both smashes: 516

total smasher: 2494

LAST YEAR

Ultra Street Fighter 4 - 1,979
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 - 1,014
Super Smash Bros. Melee - 970
BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma - 508
Killer Instinct - 338
King of Fighters 13 - 319
Injustice: Gods Among Us - 311
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 - 257

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=170541134

Fighting game, fighting game has changed

shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2015, 01:31:11 AM »

It's amazing to see how much more diverse it is this year. Previous years it's been dominated by SF and Mahvel with "the rest" very much in the sidelines. This year? Nearly a thousand players for Guilty Gear. Hell yeah!!

Hoping to watch as much as I can - even though I have little interest in SF4 and absolutely zero interest in Mahvel, I stayed up until 6am to watch it all go down last year. I'm sad that there will be no KOF (the real hype) this year, but GGXrd will fill the gap nicely.

As for FGs that I play, I'm no good at them really (my execution and concentration are both shit) and I don't help myself by choosing to play Guilty Gear. I've played and enjoyed most in my time - but mainly Tekken, older Street Fighters (2 and Alpha 2) and KOF 13.

SF4 was what got me into fighting games (I'm an 09er ofc) but it doesn't sustain my interest much these days. I do occasionally feel like playing it again but haven't touched it in over a year, certainly not since Ultra. (what is this ""red focus"") For what it's worth I used to hover around the 2000-2500PP range, so not great but not totally awful either. I wonder if I'd be any better or worse at it these days - I tend to find I will actually improve at something if I take some time off doing it and come back 'fresh'. Spaced repetition in action!

olücæbelel
PixelJunkie
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2015, 01:08:02 AM »

My favorite SF is Street Fight Alpha 3.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2015, 05:30:20 AM »

So, anyone else rocking Yatagarasu AoC, now that it's Fall 2014 and finally released?

majormel84
Level 0

holy shit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2015, 10:16:28 AM »

I've been focusing on umvc3 the most, the game is just way too addictive when you really get into it.
Spidey/ryu/sentinel is my team along with ameterasu/ rocket raccoon / she-hulk. Mvc1 is still my favorite.

I really really wanna get back into skullgirls though.

So, anyone else rocking Yatagarasu AoC, now that it's Fall 2014 and finally released?

I got to play it at a friends house. for a game inspired by 3s, it totally surpasses it's "predecessor ".

W H Y   M E
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2015, 03:28:18 PM »

Related tangent, could use relevant input:

Resurfacing from the dead: MvC 2~3 stickfigure (think One Finger Death Punch xx Zero Punctuation?) demake game idea. Really thinking of taking it to its bones. Small, 15-25 chara cast (5 classes, maybe mixed movesets?), always turbo, singular assist - keep the character select phase quick and easy. And the controls too, for that matter.

Combo Attack, Heavy Attack, Assist 1 / 2, Tag 1 / 2. Maybe no blocking in favor of invincible backdashing, and dedicated one-press rushdowns. Only 1-2 supers per character, only really significant supers present at all.

Rethinking MvC class balance for demake.

Let's start with the obvious class; "Beamers." Because face it, if anyone controls MvC 2/3, it's "Beamers." They're usually moderate speed, slightly bigger than usual, but not tank-status. More often than not, they have flight and 8-way air-dashing (and thus the related, popular wavedash tactic). Their beams are not only space controlling and deliberately slow, they're usually multi-hit, making them easily the safest and best chipping damage option available, and usually the fastest meter-builders to boot.

The demake, having "invincible backdashing" instead of blocking, would answer the chipping and meter-building issues, at least; and special moves will probably have a little more cooldown on them, but still be super-cancellable. Beam supers will probably have the most cooldown in the game; since punishing those will require a screen-wide answer. But a *successful* connection will also stun enemies in response, keeping the momentum alive. They'll probably have 8-way dash OR flying, but not both.

Then we have "Tanks." In spite of their incredible damage output, however; their main advantage (poise/super armor) ironically makes them MORE susceptible to comboability and higher damage, and their disproportionate health does nothing to compensate for this. But their two biggest detriments are that they usually have no anti-air game (critical since they tend to be very ground-oriented), and no screen-crossing mobility options.

The demake Tanks, therefore, will probably have the second-highest rush-in rate (only outdone by Speedsters), and more specials like Captain Corridor and/or Psycho Crusher; some may have seismic attacks. Also, they'll probably have fastest recovery on stuns and capture moves.

Speedsters are another very popular Marvel choice; they've been the go-tos for priority, rushdown enthusiasts (righteously so). But their miniscule HP makes them glass cannons, and stupid-low damage rates means that you're getting equal damage at best, and typically doing FAR MORE WORK to get it.

Say what you will about Vanilla MvC3, but I was GLAD to see speedsters actually standing toe-to-toe against beamers and coming out decently. And while of no concern to Beamers, they have typically had the odd range advantage of being armed - Wolverine claws, Strider Hiryu's Cipher, Gambit and SonSon's staves, etc.; which kind of defeats the point of said mobility (to close in), now doesn't it? So the main adjustment in the demake is that the speedsters will probably be unarmed; where the arms and their range advantage will go towards "Vanillas."

Speaking of "the Vanillas," that's what I'm basically referring to any Ryu, Ken, etc. as; and while the SF cast has most of their moves, most of *them* (pretty much only the exceptions being Cammy and Dhalsim) fall into this category pretty hard. They have ZERO advantages, period; which makes everything but a Tatsumaki assist tactically worthless... besides MAYBE Cyclops who is loaded out the butt with extra moves and has the Optic Blast. Only a few can double-jump (usually Marvelite ones like Captain America); which is still *nothing* compared to the massive mobility options of Beamers and Speedsters.

I may just choose to disinclude Vanillas altogether for that reason; but given some buffing (like the armed-weapon range advantage), especially in the specials/supers department; these can be valid design prospects with which to build upon. If anyone should have air-dashing options, and validly quick teleport/mixup game, it should be this class; and taking the projectile game to multi-hit/multi-projectile status (especially in response to Beamer game!!) might make core types valid - and who doesn't like the essential idea of Karate Guy and Special Forces dude? Would "Sonic Boom" not be a valid assist, if 3-5 were fired off in succession?

Finally, we've got the "Weirdos" class; which usually consists of a few sub-classes. There's the Squids, that usually have a 6-hit Fierce something, and the multi-projectile advantage (such as Mystic Stare or Dancing Sword), "over the top" expansion moves (Mystic Stare or Venom Fang), and/or meter-draining (like Omega Red), and they can usually air-dash. There's the Stretchers (Dhalsim/Anakaris), and the Cavalry types (Jill/Amingo/Tron Bonne) that rely on special-command assists, while otherwise still being alarmingly Vanilla. And then there's The Gief, who's just there because Gief.

This is another group I'm thinking of disincluding, or at least just making a "maximized one of each type," save for Cavalry types - because that's the entire point of regular assist management anyhow. The other idea is to hybridize these subtypes across the other main types, to give a sort of "compound formula" to the mix; although I CRINGE at the idea of a meter-draining or Cavalry type Beamer (OH YEAH, HELLO SENTINEL. I guess that DOES work.)

Finally, the only other aspect of the game I've been considering is the snapback. In a game that's fundamentally ABOUT managing resources, that being characters and meter; it seems a vital ingredient to the mix. But in spite of that, I rarely use it, and when I do, it's often unintentional. AND it's probably the single biggest source of MvC2 glitches. My personal beef with the snapback, as is, is that it costs meter, and even though it's "powerful enough to disable a character for ten counts," it does ABSOLUTE BUNK for damage.

So, what adjustments need to be made? It depends. If it's a move that costs meter, it needs to hit hard. Like, in the range of 15-20% damage; but most of it recoverable (to encourage the opponent to keep them out of bounds even longer). If it's *just* for the tactical "keep them out of play" purpose, it needs a different kind of execution (less like a "hit" and more like a "special"), and be managed seperately from super-attack meter so it can't just be spammed. OR, it can be performed in the air as well, and used as a combo finisher.

That went on awhile, didn't it?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic