Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411471 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 10:09:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGrey Night - Trailer + Kickstarter + Steam Greenlight
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Grey Night - Trailer + Kickstarter + Steam Greenlight  (Read 7792 times)
droxon
« on: June 05, 2015, 08:46:15 PM »

Grey Night is a cinematic platformer with a dark atmospheric tone for Windows PC, inspired by the game Limbo. The story is about a man who, upon awakening from a car crash, realizes that his daughter is gone. He is in the middle of nowhere and the world is somehow different, it's full of evil creatures, he needs to find his daughter and protect her from those creatures before it’s too late. His daughter is everything he has in the world, and he is willing to fight till his last breath to protect her.

Trailer on YouTube:

TRAILER AT KICKSTARTER:

http://kck.st/1KD7exj

Please vote for us on Steam Greenlight:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=542967023

•Gameplay and Features:
The game is single player, full of action, puzzles, boss fights, interactive cut-scenes, and quick time events. It's story driven but it has no dialogue at all, the story will be told using animations only. That's why all the cut-scenes are interactive, I want the player to really feel like he is the main character.

The game is still in Alpha, the base code of the game is ready, it's fully playable, all the footage from the trailer was recorded directly from the engine. A lot more features will be added in the next following months.

On the art side, I think it's okay at the moment, but I feel like this is the area where the game needs more attention, I need to improve the environments and the animations to make them more appealing without changing the style and feeling that it already has.

•Platforms:
-Windows PC (DRM-Free & Steam)
-more...

•Release date:
-Q2 2016

•Under consideration:
-Mac OS X version
-PlayStation 4 version
-Interactive cutscenes
-Some kind of combat
-more...

« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 12:35:41 PM by TrerPlay » Logged
droxon
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 11:11:28 AM »

Hello guys, I think it's time to resurrect this thread. Gomez

A lot of changes have been made to the game, as some of you might already know I was working on a title called GetOut! for many months, but after my IndieGoGo failure I decided to take a small break from the game, and in the mean time I decided to create a little casual game called Super Dark World. This new game was supposed to be a very simple game without a story/campaign, the main objective was to kill enemies and survive as long as you can. (Kind of like Risk of Rain)

*GetOut! Screenshot

*Super Dark World fisrt concept

But I love telling stories, and one evening I got inspired and started writing a story for Super Dark World, and everything kind of changed... the game was not a simple casual game anymore.

*Super Dark World early development

Then, I realized that the story was very similar to the story in GetOut! and since I was creating Super Dark Wold in an improved version of the GetOut!'s engine, I finally decided to combine both games and stories into one, and the combination was perfect.

*Early Concept after combining both games

After playing around with new styles I finally found the right one. It's heavily inspired by Limbo but in a more simplistic way.

Also the gameplay changed a lot, the main character now feels more realistic. He is slower and not as agile as he used to be.

Somehow the name Super Dark World didn't feel right to the combination of both games, that's why I decided to rename the game to Grey Night.

The game has been in development for a lot of time now, counting the GetOut! development's time(more than a year). But now the game is mature enough, so I can start showing my progress to the community.

I'll try my best to update this thread at least once a week, I'll really appreciate any feedback.

P.S. I know... I'll re-size all the pictures as soon as I can.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 11:54:33 AM by TrerPlay » Logged
Bluebutton
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 12:37:21 PM »

Artwork looks great, what level of gore are you intending on having?

3dgeminis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 12:34:28 PM »

Artwork looks great, what level of gore are you intending on having?

Thanks, well I'll say moderate... you will see pretty soon Smiley

I apologize for the delay I've been pretty busy updating the artwork, I decided to switch to 3D, simply because I love animating in 3D so why not?(pre-rendered 3D sprites)

Here is a little teaser: (what do you guys think?)

I'll update this thread pretty soon with all the new assets/artwork.

You say you like to animate in 3d and this animation confirms this, Super, I like the design of the character rather than of 2d, even when this fact without textures lends itself more to the game. I can imagine the game with characters and scenes in 3d, I just hope that it continues to be platforms (I'm a fan of that kind of games)
Sorry my English if you do not understand something, I am using a translator online.
crbonilha
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 12:41:54 PM »

Nice animation skills.
Can't wait to see the final result.
Andrew Brophy
Level 2

can't be hip forever

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 08:47:41 PM »

this looks neat, and...

... that's a good backpack.

3dgeminis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 06:31:47 AM »

There is also good, the character and background blend well. The design is more realistic and might be better with the theme of the game. I would say that you continue in this way.
marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 03:04:57 PM »

looks pretty cool. interesting, how different the styles are that you tried. glad to see, you are not giving up. the process of game development can be very long and branch in so many directions. I started off with an RTS 10 years ago... that changed into AI-battle stuff and is now finally a racing game (that could be modified to satisfy the earlier targets).

sidbarnhoorn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 03:25:14 PM »

Looks interesting! Will keep an eye on this. :-)

Siddhartha Barnhoorn
--------------------
Award winning composer

Composed music for the games Antichamber, Out There, The Stanley Parable, Planet Alpha...

http://www.sidbarnhoorn.com
Bandcamp:
https://siddharthabarnhoorn.bandcamp.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/SidBarnhoorn
droxon
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 05:33:01 PM »

Yes, It's not an easy process... but our passion for games keeps us going Smiley

Thanks for the positive comments guys!

Here is a gameplay (crappy) GIF: I used GIFcam + Ezgif, if anyone knows a better way for creating good quality GIFs please let me know :D

Update # 2
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 10:52:20 AM by TrerPlay » Logged
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 06:21:15 PM »

Wow, that latest visual iteration is leaps and bounds ahead of the others... Like it a lot.

Cool to see its evolution.

Canned Turkey
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 07:54:08 PM »

This is looking awesome Gomez
For GIFs, try using Licecap + gfycat
droxon
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2015, 08:54:19 AM »

This is looking awesome Gomez
For GIFs, try using Licecap + gfycat

Thanks for the tip, GIFs are great on the Gfycat's website but when I download the GIF it's very laggy... I believe that's because on their website they are using Html5 instead of GIFs Sad
droxon
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2015, 12:20:44 PM »

I believe i found a better combination for GIFs: Photoshop + EzGIF Smiley

Running animation WIP:

Update # 3
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 10:52:35 AM by TrerPlay » Logged
lobstersteve
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2015, 02:13:45 PM »

Nice style Smiley
The running animation looks a little weird though :/ It's hard to distinguish when the feet change positions (when one foot goes back and the other forward), so it looks like he is hopping on one foot (same goes for the hands). Maybe it would help if you darken the foot and arm that are at the back.
droxon
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2015, 08:07:16 PM »

Thanks for the tip, but the back arm and leg are actually a bit darker already but not very noticeable...anyways the character is just a quick concept I made, I'll replace it with a 3d character eventually Well, hello there! (Currently doing final tweaks to the new animations)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 08:23:20 PM by TrerPlay » Logged
droxon
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2015, 10:17:00 AM »

3D character sneak peek (still working on it)

Update # 4
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 10:52:54 AM by TrerPlay » Logged
JamesArndt
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2015, 04:15:29 PM »

This has an awesome style. I absolutely love the 3d made to look 2d via shaders. From a personal standpoint I like the family theme going on.

droxon
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2015, 11:17:37 AM »

Thanks! It was a challenge, I was experimenting a lot with cel shading.

Here's another one, close enough?

Update #5
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 10:53:10 AM by TrerPlay » Logged
droxon
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2015, 02:15:24 PM »

This is my last image showing the transition to 3D, I'm going to start sharing more exciting stuff!

Update # 6
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 10:53:25 AM by TrerPlay » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic