Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411278 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:54:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCockpit CompetitionPost-apocalyptic steampunk hoverbike -thingy
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Post-apocalyptic steampunk hoverbike -thingy  (Read 6450 times)
random
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 20, 2009, 04:02:23 PM »

Hello, i'm new here. Hopefully this is going to be my entry Smiley

Scetch:

You drive a steam powered hoverbike and... and... deliver letters? Race other drivers? Pursuit mad mutant scientist who turns out to be your long lost father? I'll have time to figure something out Durr...?

Featuring:
* Opening and closing valves to redirect steam to different subsystems
* Keyboard for steering and mouse for playing with bike controls (and looking around)
* Hopefully not-too-crappy 3d graphics

Hempuliā€½
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 04:28:28 PM »

Sounds coolio!

Traveller
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 04:32:23 PM »

If all those gauges actually have a use, then that is seriously awesome.
professor dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 08:11:03 PM »

manbaybay  Durr...?
J.W. Hendricks
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 08:33:01 PM »

manbaybay  Durr...?
Copyright infringement. He stole his name from Radnom.

The artist formally known as "Javet."
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 02:26:57 AM »

I love the extreme amount of meters and buttons!

I also like the mail delivery idea, because sometimes mail can contain vital information and that would be a motivation for someone to try and stop you, making stuff interesting.

Good luck!
nunix
Level 1

This space intentionally left blank.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 03:53:22 PM »

Things I would want to be able to do with this:

1) race a locomotive. To do this you'd have to be a very, very keen mind with the valves. The bike normally couldn't win, but if you switch "gears", so to speak, and route steam to the engines, you might win.. as long as you don't blow a pipe somewhere along the way. The valve-manipulation would be 100% of the challenge, it wouldn't really be a steering/obstacle thing (although I guess you could).

2) delivering packages and/or people would be good. If it's low-stress - maybe an exploration game? find a way to get your bike from Point A to Point B, faster speed gets you more money - it gives you kind of a Ghibli vibe.

3) I'm imagining some kind of steam cannons mounted to the side. Instead of firing point-on, you'd basically do broadsides.

Ideally, the interface + graphics engine would be used for lots of little sub-games like this. Maybe even rely on Lua or something, so people could script new uses for the bike.

Anyway this thing is awesome and I hope you complete it. =D

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 11:59:00 PM »

Maybe if you had a view of the vehicle where you could redirect steam with some kind of buttons? Then you would have to choose if you want it to go to propulsion, weapons, steering engines or some other stuff. You would have to constantly redirect steam while manoeuvring the vehicle, for ultimate stress Addicted

Also I like the idea with side mounted cannons. I imagine epic fights where you speed like hell beside each other, trying to not fall behind and at the same time hit your enemy.
Fuzz
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 12:03:25 AM »

Is random even doing anything to do with this game?
random
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 01:44:21 AM »

Is random even doing anything to do with this game?

Yeah, i'm still here. Didn't get anything done on weekend since i had to go to work both saturday and sunday Epileptic I hope to finish the 3d-model and the initial game-engine this week.

I like the idea of racing locomotive a lot! It would fit perfectly to the gameplay mechanics I was thingking about. Routing steam from subsytems and watching gauges to ensure that there's not too much/little pressure in any of them. About steering... it was my intention that you could only move sideways and up and down, not turn. Like the old Zaxxon arcade game:

Initially I didn't want to include weapons... but side mounted cannons, thats a different story :D It would be nice, since player would need to be more aware of his surroundings, making things a bit more hectic. I have to try it, if I have time.

Thanks for the ideas guys! Beer!
professor dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 04:10:31 PM »

what are you making this in?

Initially I didn't want to include weapons... but side mounted cannons, thats a different story :D It would be nice, since player would need to be more aware of his surroundings, making things a bit more hectic. I have to try it, if I have time.

no, no weapons, i like the idea of a hoverbiking-postman.
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 04:22:11 PM »

What about like in Paper Boy, where the papers you throw are the only weapons you have? Also, your steam thrusters could serve as weapons?

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
fiber optic asparagus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 05:39:52 PM »

you could make steam cannons greatly lower your engine pressure, and subsequently your speed. I'm quite sure that would discourage violence. also, you could customize it a bit like this, http://www.kongregate.com/games/krispykrem/bureau-of-steam-engineering.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 05:43:09 PM by A Person » Logged

I have mooselike reflexes
random
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 05:40:26 AM »

I'm coding this in Ogre/c++ and modelling in Blender.

This week has been super busy at work, but I hope to have something running by sunday. I haven't really given much thought about what the final gameplay is going to be, but the idea of Paper Boy crossed my mind too. I probably don't have time to implement customization as in Bureau of Steam Engineering, but hopefully you will be able to upgrade engines, thrusters and pipes somehow.

Now, back to work Tired
RedStar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 09:11:34 PM »

looks awesome, waiting to see it
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic