Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:35:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeHow we Recreated All Character Models from Scratch in Two Weeks
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How we Recreated All Character Models from Scratch in Two Weeks  (Read 1138 times)
Koobazaur
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: June 08, 2015, 05:17:15 PM »

Hey Guys!

So I was posting lately about the major graphical overhaul of "Karaski: What Goes Up..." an open-ended, story-driven investigation onboard a damaged Airship; find the saboteur, or risk becoming suspect! Deus Ex meets Clue with a bit of Telltale.

This time I wanted to share inside look how we went from Lego blocky characters into fully fleshed out animated bunch in just two (and a half) weeks.

In the post I explain the whole process - the Design, Modeling, Animation and Lessons Learned from the blizingly fast dev cycle. We took a pretty intelligent approach (imho) that turned out way better than i anticipated. While it does need a 2nd pass later on, it's looks leaps better than my blocky programmer art and is future-proof Smiley

Hope this is useful and let me know your thoughts!

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter if you're interested in the project :D
AlexanderOcias
Level 0

Games that change people

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 07:54:11 PM »

So like more than one 3D character per day? That's quite a blitz!

Your article briefly mentions that you provided artists with a big folder of reference material - it would be neat to hear more about how you go about researching and putting together all of that...
Koobazaur
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 03:15:23 PM »

Yup, that's what it averages to, but like I said, lots of cheating and asset reuse went into the misc NPCs.

And the reference research, hmm, frankly it was just me spending a lot of time on google images looking up stuff until I found pics that "felt right" or matched my imaginary idea for characters. I also google specific items that I wanted to portrayed in a specific way, such as the captain's hat, the steward outfit, and in one case even a particular mustache :p
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic