Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411478 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 06:57:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Pixel art and color scheme??
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Pixel art and color scheme??  (Read 1957 times)
beestings
Level 1

View Profile
« on: June 09, 2015, 09:16:21 AM »

So heres my mock up and palette. I think the real issue is that I hate dull colors and stupid me upped the saturation on my cpu and I just set it back to default because it messes up the actual saturation of things. anyway I tried to adjust the color scheme a little too much so theres that, if you have any advice for that that'd be great

-also, any comments on the whole look oevr all? Any changes I could make? Feel free to edit whatever.

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 09:20:44 AM »

They are pretty vivid and lovely but I don't think showing them off on a white background works best. What colors will the backgrounds be in-game?

beestings
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 09:27:09 AM »

They are pretty vivid and lovely but I don't think showing them off on a white background works best. What colors will the backgrounds be in-game?
hopefully light blue with some white clouds (possibly super light pink), everything looked off to me though so I hadn't added it in yet
Chris MacAdam
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 10:19:54 AM »

Ya I agree that you should post here with a BG, even if it is just a solid light blue or pink like you mentioned.
Something that you drew with one BG in mind, might look wrong with another BG.

From what I can tell though these sprites are pretty good! I would say maybe try to add some more texture to the grass and dirt tiles. unless you are going for a real flat look with them.

Sgt. Pepper
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 10:53:11 AM »

That palette looks nice, would you mind sharing the RGB or Hex values of the colors?
ryansumo
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 06:20:43 PM »

Agree with Eigen.  You need to know how your sprites interact with the background in terms of color before we can offer any advice.

beestings
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 05:51:10 AM »

here it is a little bit updated and with a background

EDIT: another edit..
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 06:03:25 AM by beestings » Logged
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 10:54:22 AM »

Played around with the colors a a bit, they were definitely too bright. Also you might want to consider using less shades for your characters, especially on the head. You don't need a highlight color, it only creates a pillow shading effect.

Catghost
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2015, 03:49:48 PM »

definitely consider cutting back the amount of colors you're using, since these sprites are fairly small. otherwise the colors you picked are pretty harmonious apart from the high saturation. especially for those darker colors, even if you're going for a stylized look shade will tend to be less saturated. mid-tones and transitional colors benefit more from higher saturation than the surrounding colors, which I tried to incorporate into your original colors.
beestings
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2015, 06:04:30 PM »

Thanks for the constructive criticism!! Heres my latest edit:

I'll probably keep it low res (ie the bigger picture will be closer to what it will look like during gameplay)

Some of the colors are virtually the same, with slightly different hues and saturations.. Though I know that this is typically not desirable but I kind of feel like it adds just enough to separate the player and forground/background just enough.

Really like the shaded background Eigen suggested and hopefully it'll have a nice parralax to it (it moves slower than the forground for a nice effect

any more comments? I'm still not really happy with the animations either (shown in the first post I made)I'm super new to animating so any advice would help!! Though, I'm intentionally making it slightly less realistic--my goal is to have a really smooth animation that just creates a player and world thats fun to run around in. I really enjoyed just running around games like Far cry 3 and Super Mario Sunshine--the mechanics work so well and feel awesome to use but I think a big part of it is the animations.
beestings
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2015, 10:25:58 AM »

Its been challenging to work at such a small resolution(am I using that term right?), but I think I've managed to make decent characters. The blond woman has her hands on her hips, the red head is holding a cup of coffee, the shortest one (boy with stripe shirt) is my attempts at a child.. the girl furthest to the right has on a dress(or something similar) that splits on one leg and the black guy on the end is wearing a hoodie... Any thoughts? I think I want to lighten up all the new characters I've made though I can't with my current pixel program (Pixen). Also, this is intented to be played in a large screen (same res, but zoomed in so it fills a large portion of your screen).
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 12:34:27 PM »

I love your characters and the colors!

But i'm unable to read some details; some thoughts:
- the blond woman has her hands on her hips - yes.
- the red head is holding a cup of coffee - yes.
- the shortest one (boy with stripe shirt) is my attempts at a child - definitely a child.
- the girl furthest to the right has on a dress(or something similar) that splits on one leg - yes.
- and the black guy on the end is wearing a hoodie - i did not see the hoode and the guy could be a girl.

The left arm (?) on the first character looks wrong to me and you should add a darker pixel below all chins, imho. I created a small overpaint but please bear in mind that i'm a pixel art newbie!

Artylo
Level 0

I'm just a voice, pal - a most talented failure, b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 11:04:13 AM »

I'd separate the art into three layers of saturation.
  • Background
- Least Saturation
  • Foreground
- Medium Saturation
  • Characters & Interactive Objects
- Normal Saturation
[/list]

That way, the platforms and ground will be pushed forward from the sky background (adding paralax and shadows can add to this), the characters will be the main focal point, but also distinguishable from any regular foreground objects/platforms.

Seeing that you're going for minimalism, be really careful not to pillow shade your sprites. One regular and one dark shade is enough most of the time.
beestings
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 11:59:41 AM »

threw together the player's first "starter" appt. The lighting I added in upped the saturation and contrast a little so I'll probably adjust that later.. I'm struggling to pice it together with code via unity2D.. kind of a pain, but I know I just have to sit down and figure it out.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic