Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:33:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Is this art TOO low resolution
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Is this art TOO low resolution  (Read 1520 times)
DaRkMaStEd
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 09, 2015, 03:23:51 PM »

Hello everyone. I am working on a game and the sprites I am using are very low resolution. I personally really like them but a few people I know IRL think they are too low resolution and that people wouldn't think a game with them is any good. What are your thoughts?

Here are some screenshots:

Chris MacAdam
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 03:56:29 PM »

Hey I think that the resolution with the sprites are fine. I think the problem is you should just touch up some of the graphics a little if you can.
For instance, the building tiles. The walls and the floor seem like they are the same sprite just different shade. You could maybe redraw the floor tile to look more like a wood floor, or stone floor, etc.. make it pop more from the walls. Color is your friend here too, you shouldn't just have straight color ramps. (just making a color darker for shadows) instead you could try to use hues. having shadows more purple-blue range and light sources more toward yellows.

what resolution are you using for the tiles? it seems like around 4x4 or 8x8? but looking at NES games or things like that, might help get an idea of now to work with lower resolutions.

Sgt. Pepper
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 04:01:28 PM »

Nothing is ever too low res in my book Smiley
DaRkMaStEd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 05:04:30 PM »

Hey I think that the resolution with the sprites are fine. I think the problem is you should just touch up some of the graphics a little if you can.
For instance, the building tiles. The walls and the floor seem like they are the same sprite just different shade. You could maybe redraw the floor tile to look more like a wood floor, or stone floor, etc.. make it pop more from the walls. Color is your friend here too, you shouldn't just have straight color ramps. (just making a color darker for shadows) instead you could try to use hues. having shadows more purple-blue range and light sources more toward yellows.

what resolution are you using for the tiles? it seems like around 4x4 or 8x8? but looking at NES games or things like that, might help get an idea of now to work with lower resolutions.

Thanks for the advice. I am still playing with the colors but does this look better?

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 05:09:57 PM »

It depends a lot on why you're making this game. Is it just for fun , for your portfolio , for a commercial release or for bigger commercial release?
If you aim for nothing big then stick to your likings, otherwise listen to your friends.
ryansumo
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 06:19:44 PM »

Low res is okay but I think what you need is more consistency.  Like your characters (I think that's what they are) have hardly any detail, with just two colors, whereas the blobby circle things inside the walls seem to be very detailed and made up of multiple colors.

Muffinhat
Level 0

COVERED IN BEES HELP

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 11:41:12 PM »

Resolution looks fine. I'm not digging the font choice though; is that placeholder?
woodsmoke
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 12:35:39 AM »

I like the low res here. And I like the buildings before the change more (because it remined me of lego. I would have made the floor stone grey, and kept the walls wood colour. Go with what you like the most.
I personaly find the characters cloth colour is too intense.

Uykered
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 02:10:55 AM »

1024 x 768 is a good minimum resolution, it's not too low.
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 01:34:15 PM »

My only problem is the mixed pixel sizes and non-scaled framebuffers, otherwise it's all good
skaz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2015, 01:44:39 AM »

Size doesn't matter. That's all about how you use your pixels.  Durr...?

Seriously, use the resolution you are comfortable with, in style and technically, don't force yourself in constrains that are not suited to you. I like very low res sprites, and I'm comfortable with them. It has a lot of advantages, and I like the final render. So what? Some people will like it, some won't, in the end you are making it, be honest with yourself and your work can only be an honest work.

But aim for easy readability. Contrast is a very nice tool. For example use light areas to show walls, darker, less saturated ones to show walk-able tiles. Just an example, experiment, but make sure players won't spend their time trying to figure out what is a wall from what is the ground or a hole. At low res, you have to make thing a little bit abstract sometimes.

For information purpose, my current project is rendered at 640*480 before upscale.

LOST FORTRESS site! 2d action adventure exploration in an abandoned Dwarf fortress, overrun by weird slug-like creatures.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic