Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 10:15:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Looking for feedback on these characters
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Looking for feedback on these characters  (Read 1225 times)
Highlandcoo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: June 10, 2015, 05:13:49 AM »

Hi everyone, I'm updating some of my artwork for my game - CASTELLUM (see signature for devlog link) - and I came up with these:

I worry they are too cutesy... what do you guys think?

Chris MacAdam
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 05:22:59 AM »

They are definitely cute. It depends on what you were going for with them I guess. Im not sure where you would draw the line as to 'too cute'.
They look nice though, very simple but still can show character between the sprites.

Sgt. Pepper
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 05:39:15 AM »

They look like something i would imagine as a plush toy. So, basically what Chris said, cute.
ryansumo
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 07:49:37 PM »

I don't think it's a problem that they're cute.  Their clothes seem a little nondescpript thou, for a post apocalyptic future.  Its hard to get a lot of detail in there, but maybe a fallout style jumpsuit is a good example of something that might look good in this scenario, and you can still keep the color coding that you seem to be using for the characters.

CaLooch
Level 0

lost in thought...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 06:00:54 PM »

I checked out your devlog and I would lean more on the side that theyre a little too cute.  imo, I think the shape/proportions of the characters are fine. Its the eyes and the color palette that are giving them their "cutesy" look.  theyre pretty close to FF saturated colors from the looks of it.  I think bring them down to somewhere between AA-DD you'll get a slightly more ominous look.  Also you have the added bonus of having really white/light gray backgrounds so I think you can afford to make the characters a little darker.

About the eyes, or more so the face, I dont have a specific suggestion in mind but 2 beady eyes with no mouth/nose/other facial features makes it look cute.  I just wrote that I didnt have a suggestion, but an idea just popped up to just remove the eyes entirely?  you might have to reshape the face a bit to make it look right, but it might look less cute/more creepy if they had a blanker expression.

Highlandcoo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 07:17:16 AM »

I checked out your devlog and I would lean more on the side that theyre a little too cute.  imo, I think the shape/proportions of the characters are fine. Its the eyes and the color palette that are giving them their "cutesy" look.  theyre pretty close to FF saturated colors from the looks of it.  I think bring them down to somewhere between AA-DD you'll get a slightly more ominous look.  Also you have the added bonus of having really white/light gray backgrounds so I think you can afford to make the characters a little darker.

About the eyes, or more so the face, I dont have a specific suggestion in mind but 2 beady eyes with no mouth/nose/other facial features makes it look cute.  I just wrote that I didnt have a suggestion, but an idea just popped up to just remove the eyes entirely?  you might have to reshape the face a bit to make it look right, but it might look less cute/more creepy if they had a blanker expression.

Thanks everyone - that was really helpful. I've more or less followed CaLooch' suggestions and I'm pleased with the look (even if I am still a terrible animator Tongue)

Updated DEV log with GIF's
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=47397.msg1150336#msg1150336

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic