Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 09:20:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOverfall - [a Roguelike Fantasy RPG]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Overfall - [a Roguelike Fantasy RPG]  (Read 4738 times)
cibram
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 10, 2015, 10:30:47 AM »

Hello everyone. I've always enjoyed reading all those topics and comments around TIGForums for years, now this time i am really so much excited to hear your honest feedbacks, comments and critics on something i've made with my friends: Overfall

If you'd like, check out our: Steam Concepts Page as well.

Bear in mind most of the content here still in development progress.

Overfall is a fantasy role-playing game of rough diplomacy and tough action. Explore, negotiate, and fight your way across the high seas!

You have stolen an artifact from another realm, and its guardians have followed you home.

Your mission is simple. The artifact is vital to the survival of your home and your people. Bring it to the king who entrusted you with its recovery before the fearsome Vorn take it back from you by force!

On the way, you’ll sail from island to island in search of supplies, friends, and - dare we say it - a little adventure. On some islands you’ll face raging monsters in battle; on others, you’ll befriend them. You might scavenge some food, stumble across buried treasure, or uncover the strange history of the world you live in - and the bizarre truth of your own destiny.

The game features:

• A roguelike structure making use of permadeath and procedural generation.
  • A dynamic, living world map, randomly generated at the start of play and featuring allies, enemies and obstacles who follow their own objectives and react to your behavior.
  • A vast array of randomized, interactive encounters that reward exploration, emphasize player choice and ensure no two playthroughs are quite the same.
  • Challenging and addictive turn-based combat - deep tactical gameplay that’s easy to learn and hard to master, with over 900 skills to deploy or contend with.
  • An overarching narrative which reveals itself to curious players over successive playthroughs, but remains light enough to allow for casual play.
  • Beautiful hand-drawn art of 9 player characters, 36 combat companions, 80+ enemies, 80+ NPCs, and 90+ locations.

Roguelike Meta-Game

In developing Overfall we’ve taken inspiration from the roguelike genre to achieve its high level of challenge and replayability.

A procedurally-generated world ensures that you’ll be navigating a different world each time you start a game, never knowing quite what to expect from the next island where you make landfall. Permanent death lends urgency to every decision you make in exploration and combat, as failure means starting from the beginning. But it’s not all bad - during play you can encounter a series of unlockable traits, relics and weapons that will allow you to improve and further customize your player characters in subsequent playthroughs.

You’ll start from the beginning each time - but no two beginnings are quite the same.

Dynamic World Map

Overfall is a game of exploration and discovery in the face of great risk.

When you aren’t on islands lending aid to the downtrodden, fighting the monstrous or gathering supplies, you’ll be uncovering the world map - a real-time dynamic construct which features allies, enemies, neutral parties and natural obstacles. These agents travel, chase, make landfall and fight in accordance with their needs and goals. Through encounters, you can influence your own reputation with other races and factions, changing how they react to you and to one another on the high seas.

Navigating the ocean is a perilous undertaking. You’ll have to manage your resources carefully to ensure you don’t starve to death far from help, get caught in a storm or the clutches of a sea monster, or overwhelmed by hostile warships.

The sea is a cruel mistress, but it holds great reward for the clever and the courageous.

Interactive Encounters

One world - infinite stories.

When you make landfall at one of the many islands in the game’s archipelago, you’ll participate in an encounter. Some encounters are as brief as taking a rest and moving on. Some are vignettes of intrigue, humor or the macabre. Some hint at the forgotten history of the world, and the vast powers that influence it today.

Overfall’s encounters are non-linear and player-driven, allowing for multiple approaches to a scenario depending on the capabilities and inclinations of your player characters and companions. Your Fighter might be tempted to beat the con artist who robbed you to a pulp…but your Rogue knows the sweetest victory comes from beating a man at his own game.

Will you play as an avenger of the weak or a mercenary opportunist? The choice is up to you.

Turn-Based Combat

Overfall features a tactically deep turn-based combat system: fun, challenging, and ideal for those times when diplomacy just doesn’t cut it.

A combat turn in Overfall consists of three phases: movement, utility, and attack. Every player character has powers relating to these phases, meaning every hero brings something to the table. Even the Fighter, renowned in traditional role-playing games for being nothing more than a meat shield or simple melee combatant, is a versatile tactical problem-solver on the battlegrounds of Dys.

But just because every player character is powerful and versatile doesn’t mean they’re invulnerable. Condition management is an important element of all combat - various enemies have powers that can impose crippling status ailments, some of which can block your characters from moving, using utility skills, or attacking on a turn.

This means that no matter how powerful your characters’ upgrades, they can still be left vulnerable - making for combat that retains its urgency and challenge throughout play.

There’s no grinding in Overfall: no enemy is a pushover and no victory is certain.

Story

Overfall tells a story of betrayal and eternity in an age riven by conflict.

The setting is Dys, a high-fantasy ocean world of forgotten histories and remembered grudges. Settlers, misfits, outlaws and conquerors of all breeds and creeds vie for dominance, acceptance, or simply survival in the lawless archipelago. Some of them will oppose you; some will join you.

You play as a pair of adventurers working for an immortal human sorcerer known only as the Everking. At his command you have voyaged through a mysterious portal into another world and stolen the Disk, an artifact of great power. But the Vorn, the Disk’s terrifying guardians, have caught you in the act - and they are surging through the portal to conquer your home!

Your objective is to find the Everking and return the Disk to him, on the way navigating the perilous ocean of Dys and making landfall in search of alliances or precious supplies. But as you progress - and even succeed - in your quest, it will slowly become clear that there is much more to your journey than is at first apparent.

Sail the seas. Turn the tide. Save the world.

We are in need of honest feedbacks, comments and critics, because we want this game to be as AWESOME as it can! So please do not hesitate to write down anything you want.

For more information:

Check out our: Steam Concepts Page

Check out our: Dev Blogs

May your heroes never fall !

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 10:45:35 AM »

Not big (no pun intended) on the oversized character heads and general character appearance but the environments are incredibly well done and I really like the travels on the world map (which also transitions really well for the battles). The world map as a whole looks lovely. I love seeing non-pixel based 2D games so really curious to see where you go with this.

shellbot
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 10:48:27 AM »

This looks really cool Smiley

Your devlog seems to suggest you put a lot of thought and effort into the art-style and it definitely comes through.

I'm looking forward to some more updates  Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley
troar
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 11:01:57 PM »

Looks promising! I really like the idea of 3 phase turn as I see from the GIF. Also there seems to be no resource for usage of skills. Really interesting. Art style is fabolous! Good luck.
cibram
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 09:30:17 AM »

Hi again fellas, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts!

I will try to update this thread as much as i can with new features, will be really glad if you can help us out with your feedback and comments.

I am posting a video, work in progress version of our Main Menu Screen.

This is a scene of our world Tun. Which is kinda a fallen world, where our heroes will start their journey, by entering a portal back to their homeland Dys. Inhabitants of this world - Vorns, will chase us through the Portal.

So we thought to darken this up, tried to threaten the player against the Vorns and a chaotic event.

I have a question, what do you think about the current mood of animations, ambient sounds and the music?

Thanks in advance!

Bluebutton
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 11:31:05 AM »

I think they work beautifully together, my only feedback would be maybe the lightning goes off too often?

koutetsusteel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 01:34:36 PM »

This game looks pretty awesome!

Just watched the video and I think you have the mood of the title screen down pat.

Can't wait to try this out sometime in the future. I love roguelikes.

cibram
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 07:44:28 AM »

Hi again fellas, thanks for replies!

maybe the lightning goes off too often?

You might be right! Well we will be iterating the design of the main menu to see which one would fit our feelings best, thank you so much for your feedback!

Alright, this week we have been working to finish our MAP assets! Not done yet but we need some feedbacks again, i am gonna show you current state of our islands;

Click the image to enlarge in a new window

In Overfall, each island has a Flora Type:

• Grassland
  • Forest
  • Barrens
  • Arctic
  • Volcanic
  • Swamp

And each of them will have slots for Hills & Trees. Beside that we will have slots for Towers, Places, Decorations and Shipyards! I will write down more information about these components in a bigger post! (For example, a Campfire will be the symbol for adventurers, so if you go to an island with a campfire, you will encounter with an adventurer!)

Also we have 2 unique islands: Portal and Citadel !! They are important elements of our story.

My question is: What are your thoughts and feelings about the islands?

Here is a presentation for our dynamic world! More information about ships and their behaviours will be shared soon!

Have a great friday everyone!

Ohh, and dont forget to check Overfall's indieDB Page if you haven't seen yet!!!

cibram
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2015, 05:29:27 PM »

Hello again everyone!

Last week we have been working on our ships, i would like to share some of them with you.

I will write down a post about the ships, and the races they belong very soon. What are you first impressions about the art style of the ships?

And here i would like to share a screen capture from a battle scene. In Overfall we have 3 phases in each turn for each character. Mobility phase, Utility phase and Attack phase.

In this example, our lovely Cleric is using her Mobility Skill - Faithful Pull to help out Kirinborn, pulls her back to herself, and using her Utility Skill - Heal, to - well, heal her wounds, so Kirinborn will be able to "Charge" back into the combat whenever she gets the turn. After helping her team mate, she is using Retribution, to damage the old dwarf and applies Confusion debuff to him, which makes the applied target skip a Utility phase.

We are working so hard for a gameplay trailer these days! Hoping to give more information very soon. Please let us know about your thoughts to help us out.

Have a great week!

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 07:08:44 AM »

change the name
it would be fine for some shitty 7/10 shooter that gets forgotten the next week it released, but not for that game.
Its tells 0 info about game and is highly forgettable.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 09:53:54 AM »

Plus, it sounds like Overwatch, which is Blizzard #GoldLogo's next shooter game.

Ottbot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 10:49:43 AM »

I'm liking the look of the ships and they have nice variety, but I feel like they could be brighter/higher contrast against the dark-blue water.

weashell
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2015, 10:27:18 PM »

Mock Anger Mock Anger Share more progress please!
Dora
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015, 02:50:10 AM »

it would be fine for some shitty 7/10 shooter
Plus, it sounds like Overwatch, which is Blizzard #GoldLogo's next shooter game.

"Overfall; A turbulent stretch of open water caused by a strong current or tide over a submarine ridge, or by a meeting of currents."

Overfall is a world of islands, ships and seas are a great part of our game. We spent a good time thinking about our game's name and we are confident about the meaning of it and how it sounds.
Thank you for your comments guys!

I feel like they could be brighter/higher contrast against the dark-blue water.

I have forwarded your opinion to our visual artist who made the drawings of the ships. Thank you for your comment!

Now, there is something we would like to know your opinion about.

We are thinking about implementing a day - night cycle to the game.
When you are sailing, you consume food every couple of seconds. But there isn't any feeling for the passage of time except the fear of running out of food.

Our visual artists are working over the battlegrounds and islands, creating their night versions with a little touch. Also creating some light to shine at nights for ships and buildings.

(Basic Day and Night difference, WIP)

We are thinking about implementing day/night only encounters or missions. (like vampires can be encountered only in night)

Also maybe there would be a little "sight reduction" at night to give some more thrill.

I can not say anything for certain right now but currently we are thinking about a 10 - 15 second time interval for a day/night (20-30 seconds for a total day cycle) while moving. (When you do not move, you see other ships at slow motion, like a tactical mini-pause for route targeting.)

Also, time will not pass while you are in an island.

As you can see, we have candles on top of dialogues. We will puff and make the fire go away at bright environments.

We would really like to hear about your ideas and recommendations about day and night cycle!

Community Manager at Pera Games
Dora
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2015, 05:02:21 PM »

Systematic Update:
We have a new balancing system for quest rewards!
Instead of entering specific reward values (like 1,2,3) our writers now enter Small / Medium / Large values for rewards.
We believe this will help us balance our game a lot for long term purposes.

Also, we have expanded our reputation system. When you help a race, you lose reputation for the opposing race.
For example if you rescue a Goblin, Dwarves will be angry.
We believe this will make the reputation-balance a little game itself, instead of just generally progressing.

Please share your thoughts about our new systems! Smiley

Community Manager at Pera Games
cibram
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2015, 01:09:30 PM »

Hello adventurers! Please share your feelings and give us feedback on what you think about our very first gameplay trailer. We have been working so hard to get the game ready (soon we will share a Demo!) - also we have been preparing for two big campaigns.

We need your support on both Greenlight and Kickstarter! Please consider voting and backing us by using the links below;

CHECK OUT OUR KICKSTARTER CAMPAIGN

CHECK OUT OUR STEAM GREENLIGHT PAGE

Sail the seas. Turn the tide. Save the world.

Explore the shifting seas of a strange realm. Fend off starvation. Fight terrible foes…or befriend them. Recruit lost souls and learn their histories. Recover lost artifacts and rediscover lost knowledge. Take part in stories of the absurd and the tragic, the magical and the mundane - intimate, epic, and never the same twice.

Ready to embark?

CORE FEATURES

• A huge, dynamic world to explore, ruled by a number of races in constant conflict - it’s up to you to help or betray them
  • Challenging and addictive turn-based combat - careful strategy and cunning skill combinations are the key to victory against your foes!
  • Permanent hero death, procedural world generation, and high replay inspired by classic roguelikes
  • Interactive story encounters where the choices you make and the allies you recruit ensure no two journeys are quite the same
  • Unlock new classes, weapons, trinkets and skills as you progress in the game
  • Beautiful hand-drawn art of of 9 player characters, 36 combat companions, 80+ enemies, 80+ NPCs, and 100+ locations

weashell
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2015, 12:48:07 AM »

Good luck guys!  Coffee
koutetsusteel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2015, 08:48:21 AM »

Do you have a playable version available? Might be great for your Kickstarter if you gave a few people access that could make a video and create more positive hype of the game! (Even if it was just the character creator + a battle + sea exploration?)

I volunteer as tribute! Haha.

Also, if you are in fact looking for a Japanese translation of the game, myself (bilingual, studied it 5 years in college, have lived in Japan) and my Japanese roommate are here...!  (Even if at first all you want is just menus, options, main gameplay mechanic texts).

daviddoh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2015, 03:10:46 AM »

http://pera.gs/kickstarter/ you can download kickstarter pre-alpha from here seems like.
sidbarnhoorn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2015, 03:35:34 AM »

This looks great! Good luck with this game! :-)

Siddhartha Barnhoorn
--------------------
Award winning composer

Composed music for the games Antichamber, Out There, The Stanley Parable, Planet Alpha...

http://www.sidbarnhoorn.com
Bandcamp:
https://siddharthabarnhoorn.bandcamp.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/SidBarnhoorn
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic