Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 08:08:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCOLUMNAE: A Past Under Construction (nonlinear steampunk point&click)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: COLUMNAE: A Past Under Construction (nonlinear steampunk point&click)  (Read 25245 times)
ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2015, 12:11:00 PM »

You have an upcoming masterpiece between your hands man. Use it responsibly Smiley

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
jovan.vesic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2015, 02:10:02 AM »

@ephoete  thanks, we'll do our best  Tiger

Teaser, Trailer

I didn't post for a long time, because I promised a teaser.. and

!

I really hope you all like it, but please also tell if you don't - especially if you think there is something we could fix in the future. Because we will probably use some variation of this as a part of the video for a crowdfunding campaign. Maybe.

site  |  devlog  |  twitter  |  facebook | indieDB
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2015, 04:38:53 AM »

I like it a lot. It all looks gorgeous in motion...

My one complaint is I'm not a fan of the closed captioning by default. The narrator is easy to understand and the words on screen kinda take me out of the moment? But that may just be me.

pins
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2015, 04:46:49 AM »

Fancy seeing your here!
As I've mentionned on twitter, I really love your work, I think the ambiance is amazing.
I do agree with zorg about the logo, it might be a little too detailed in my opinion.

Good luck and keep up the great work!
jovan.vesic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2015, 05:02:42 AM »

Thanks guys!

My one complaint is I'm not a fan of the closed captioning by default.

Hmm. I added the subtitles as an option (on youtube) after the video was uploaded.  Didn't think they would be enabled by default.. (are they?) I can enable/disable them by clicking CC button in the "footer" of the player, but don't know how to set the default value, if there is a way to set it at all on youtube. Advice anyone?

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2015, 05:10:42 AM »

For me, its definitely on by default when I click the link. Maybe that's just me? You may want to check the CC settings in your video manager?

jovan.vesic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2015, 04:03:13 AM »

@oldblood I have searched throughout the Youtube options, and only found the "Always show captions" checkbox. As I understand it, it's related to the the viewer and not uploader perspective. (so perhaps YOU have this one checked  Shrug)

In other news we got covered by Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Here's the link to the article.

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2015, 05:31:16 AM »

Weirrrrrddddd. The teaser trailer DEFINITELY has me interested in what the games is going to be like. I think you did a great job of building tension/mystery as you unveiled parts of the story.

My initial thought was to comment on the lack of gameplay, BUT, I assume that's the point of a 'teaser trailer'. Well, you sure as heck have me wanting to know more.

jovan.vesic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2015, 02:45:18 PM »

@M4uesviecr Ha! Well thank you! TBH gameplay footage for a point & click adventure is not the most exciting thing to watch and we thought the setting/history of the game should be suggested from the beginning, because they play a pretty important role in this game, otherwise it would (best case scenario) be just pretty and/or funny, and this way it TEASES Well, hello there!. But seriously: we DO plan to make a "pure" gameplay video soon (although this one IS rendered from the same project in Unity so it will look pretty much like this unless we change things in the meantime).

We also hope to release a playable demo, although it will be too short to show much of the story (and I'm not even sure if it SHOULD). But worse - it will be too short to feature retrocausality at all.. Which is why I am a little bit skeptical if we should release it at all. Also, we still have to finish some animations for demo to look complete and visually acceptable. And I would rather not just cut those parts of the video out after recording a gameplay just to hide the fact that they are missing. Somehow it sounds like a dishonest thing to do Smiley  

troyduguid
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2015, 02:51:02 PM »

Firstly - this project looks awesome. Very interested in your approach to non-linear storytelling. Have you played/are you a fan of Kentucky Route Zero at all? There is a little bit of retro causality in the way dialogue choices determine events of the past.
Not that thats a problem at all, thought it might be a useful reference maybe. It seems to me you are really taking this concept to a new level, will be following this project with great interest Smiley

Secondly, holy crap making a google sites wiki is such a good idea! I've been using a word doc for world building stuff and its been a nightmare, going to set up a wiki tonight!

jovan.vesic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2015, 10:26:53 AM »

@troyduguid Thanks! I have played only the first part of Kentucky Route Zero so far, but I plan to play the others too. Do those dialog choices become more important (gameplay-wise) in later parts? A friend also told me once our retrocausality concept reminded him of The Stanley Parable, which is an awesome game (but the concept is not that similar to ours really).

Glad I gave you the idea for Google Sites, hope it works out for you! There are some downsides to it, and it seems to me Google stopped actively improving it some time ago, but it's still much better option for me then a single document approach.

peacegiverman
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2015, 08:19:38 AM »

Hey, folks, another member of the team here. I've recently joined them to help them out with crowdfunding and spreading the word about COLUMNAE. About three weeks ago, we released our trailer and started reaching out to press for the first time. Here's a little post-mortem on how it went for us. If you're in a hurry and don't have much time to read, just gloss over the bolded parts for a few tips.

Releasing the teaser and reaching out to press for the first time

The prep

There are a few decent guides for contacting the press out there. The two most useful ones I've found are A Guide To Launching Indie Games and Pixel Prospector's How To Contact Press. If you've never contacted the press before, these guides are a great starting point, as they cover most of the important stuff you need to know.

One of those important takeaways is that you should contact all outlets in the same day and preferably at the same time. I figured it'd be best to send emails to everyone in the morning at their local time, so we sent those emails in two batches: one batch for European editors and the other for American ones. To make things easier for me, I wrote the emails in advance and then set up Boomerang with GMail, so I could schedule the emails and not worry about waking up and writing them on time.

I wrote a few different emails and subject lines to see if any of them will have better traction. Since there aren't many press email examples online, I'm willing to share ours. Just send me a PM and I'll send it to you.

Showtime

We released the trailer on Wednesday, September 9th, and reached out to the press on the same day. We were very lucky and only a few hours later Rock, Paper, Shotgun wrote about COLUMNAE. We also got covered by 3D Juegos, which is, I belive, the largest gaming portal in Spanish language. In the following week, the news trickled down to several other regional outlets and we also managed to reach most of the adventure gaming sites.

Our trailer received over 3,000 views so far and about 50% of viewers watched the whole video. Our trailer starts slow and we have an above average drop in viewership in the first five seconds, but I do not think this is problem - point and click adventures are games for the patient.

On the social network side of the campaign, we managed to reach over 4,000 people on Facebook in the first week and a little shy of that on Twitter on the first day. Considering we only had around 400 likes and around 100 followers, I’d say this was a pretty decent outreach.

What went wrong?

Despite being featured on RPS and the relatively high reach on social networks, our engagement was low - we got only 37 page likes in the first week and 16 followers on Twitter. This might mean we need a real gameplay video, not just a teaser to attract more attention.

We released a trailer without any links to our website or social media profiles in the video. Sure, we had clickable links in our description on Youtube, but the video was mostly watched embedded on other pages. Some of the outlets also rehosted the video without our description. This is probably one of the causes for low engagement.

It also looks like people aren't visiting our social profiles from our website. Now, our website isn't the best and our social links aren't very obvious - there's only text, no social icons. Some people probably don’t even bother looking for these if they can't spot them easily.

Closing thoughts

Most of the writers wrote about our game in their own words, quoting only tidbits from our presskit or the email I sent them. Since you already have a game description in your presskit, I'm thinking, maybe you don't need to write much about the game in the announcement email. Just write what's news and maybe just the bare basics to get the editors interested. This way the email becomes shorter and probably more attractive to read. And if you get the attention of an editor then, they'll check out the full presskit, too. If there's a journalist reading this, maybe they can tell us what they think about this. Smiley

One of the guides above will tell you to wait 24-48 hours before sending a follow up, but I think that's too little time. Some of the outlets we got in touch with took a week or more to post an article. I'd say wait at least 10 days, before trying to get in touch with the outlets who still didn't write about you.

Hopefully, this writeup will be of use to some of you. Smiley We are now working on a gameplay demo and are planning to fix these mistakes we've made now: we're going to improve our website and make sure the next trailer has all the proper links.

Cheers!
jovan.vesic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2015, 08:00:34 AM »

COLUMNAE just went live on Square Enix Collective! If you have an account there (or are kind enough to make one just for this occasion My Word!) you can head here, leave feedback and vote.

ALSO: even if you are not interested in voting, there are some new gifs, graphics and characters descriptions there, so you should check it out anyway Smiley

MereMonkey
Level 2

Creator of Music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2015, 09:37:17 AM »

First time seeing this devlog, and wow. Just wow!  Addicted Checked out the teaser trailer and I love the silhouette approach of the game, and the music styles you went for are more than perfect! You're a very talented team indeedy! 

My Site  -  My Twitter - *GASP* MY SPINACH PUFFS!
neko.works
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2015, 09:38:16 AM »

Voted on Collective. Good luck Wink

jovan.vesic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2015, 01:50:57 PM »

@MereMonkey thanks Smiley also, I believe you are the first one to comment on music - I was starting to worry that it was too boring to even make anyone bored enough to comment on how boring it is!

@neko.works Thank you for the support <3 We will need that luck!

MereMonkey
Level 2

Creator of Music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2015, 01:52:28 PM »

Haha not at all, it's all great!  Wink

My Site  -  My Twitter - *GASP* MY SPINACH PUFFS!
antipirina
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2015, 05:30:00 PM »

Beautiful man!
jovan.vesic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2015, 05:38:17 PM »

@antipirina Thanks!

Here are all off the characters we decided to describe on our Square Enix Collective campaign...for now. It was a tough choice, and for some of them I just didn't know what to write without spoiling too much of the story. (I guess this is common difficulty with marketing any story-oriented game.) We submitted it and wrote descriptions, but when we received first feedback from SQEX Collective staff - which was to remove all of the details about the world from our pitch - I had to rewrite the text about characters (because random reader would now have no idea for example  what "United Protectorates" are before getting to the characters section of the text, so now a character description talking about Protectorates had to first explain what are those).

We are currently trying some loop animations for those characters in hopes of replacing current static versions on Square Enix. Hope to write some proper devlog about it soon.

jovan.vesic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2015, 03:01:25 PM »

In-game text - visual design

Those days we were talking and testing different visual designs of in-game text and dialogues. Now, having played too much of old-school  adventures in my life, what I initially had in mind (without really consciously even thinking about it) was that it would be pixelated font, even though our game is not even remotely connected to pixel-art style (nor is lo-res).

It is actually pretty obvious that it was not a good choice, except as some weird retro-modern mash (and I admit I was personally considering this option for a long time). Eventually Jelena (our artist) came up with some nice proposals for non-pixelated fonts, some of them pretty consistent with the "period" we are trying to portray, some unrelated. It turns out, any "unusual" font design for some reason in this context reminds me of those ugly looking browser games... you know the ones! WTF Even fonts that would IMO look good in the game menu, or on an in-game object for some reason just look really cheap when used in dialogues. The same way that you probably don't want to use any fancy, strange, or really in any way unusual font in the book, or body of your website you usually don't want it as a font of your dialogue-heavy game. When there is more than a few words to read, probably better to be a little bit on conservative side. We also agreed sans-serifs look too "modern", and the rest was details.

Considering the size: when you have a pixelated look of the game and the font, it's obvious it has to be large enough if you want it to be readable. But as we discovered, even modern-looking games usually use fonts much larger than actually needed for readability purposes. This is understandable if you plan for the same text design to be used on large (desktop) as well as smaller screens (tablets, even phones). But this is (at least for now) not the plan with COLUMNAE. But eventually, we just decided smaller text looks too weird, not because it's not practical, but maybe just because we are so used to seeeing larger text in the games.

As for speech bubbles, I just don't like them and think they are not really necessary for this type of game. Black outline/stroke on light text makes it readable on any background, so it was an easy decision. We are still considering if different coloured text should be used for different characters or not.
So here's how it looks for now:

A word about the screenshot itself: this scene is in lower Columnae where the air is more polluted so generally poorer folks live there. And... it should be night (does it look like it?) The bridge is between two columns - one being under control of the United Protectorates and the other in territory of the Democratic Republic. So it's a border crossing.

If you missed it, we are currently running a campaign on Square Enix Collective. If you like COLUMNAE,  you can support us buy voting for us and/or leaving feedback here. Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 02:43:24 PM by jovan.vesic » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic