Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:17:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesHoloLens + Minecraft
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: HoloLens + Minecraft  (Read 1858 times)
AlexRamallo
Level 1

:0

View Profile WWW
« on: June 15, 2015, 10:07:38 AM »

Holy shit. That live E3 demo was insane; a whole lot better than I was expecting. I know we've been seeing some awesome new tech in VR, but damn Holo Lens seems like it's on a whole different level. The potential for board games is obvious, also strategy games, and of course content-creation tools.

I suspect that the camera rig they had was probably more powerful than the actual head unit, but still; that tracking was SOLID. Didn't see any markers either, so it's probably some pretty advanced kinect-style stuff.

So what do you guys think? I'd love to develop for all VR platforms, but if I had to choose between "traditional" VR and Holo Lens....I'd have a hard time coming to a decision

Video here:

« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 12:04:06 PM by AlexRamallo » Logged

Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 11:42:22 AM »

I'd love to see it work with games with a small playing area that can fit on a table, to give you total immersion of stuff actually happening on it. Imagine playing Gang Beasts or Street Fighter on a table.

Or play Homeworld on a giant hologram hovering in front of you...

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 11:48:12 AM »

elsa surgery simulator
Sgt. Pepper
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 11:56:28 AM »

Woah. This looks truly epic.
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 07:48:20 PM »

The potential for board games is obvious
How well will it track and interpret your handmovement? That's what will make or break it. Traditional input is more limited in variety but more accurate. For example, imagine to work in Photoshop with Hololens.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
CaLooch
Level 0

lost in thought...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 09:50:21 PM »

Im usually not that impressed by what they show at these conferences but that demo was awesome.  The whole deal with the image being put on the table and being able to traverse through it... I thought that whole demo was really cool.

I dont see much potential in the occulus/morpheus VR but the hololens seems to have way more impressive capabilities for making games.

Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 10:30:26 PM »

I dont see much potential in the occulus/morpheus VR but the hololens seems to have way more impressive capabilities for making games.

VR goggles is pretty much just an enhancement, offering more immersive first person experience. But this opens entirely new possibilites for development.

How well will it track and interpret your handmovement? That's what will make or break it. Traditional input is more limited in variety but more accurate. For example, imagine to work in Photoshop with Hololens.

I guess the motion tracking and object recognition wont work that great in the beginning, but it will improve with each generation. It doesn't matter that much because it will take years before people exhaust all the possibilites of using just traditional input.

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 07:13:56 AM »

Wait, aren't the VR googles needed to see the "hologram" rather than just an enhancement?

I'd have to admit that's way more likely to work than full blown VR though. Yes, it's still cumbersome as you need to wear the glasses, but since the whole thing is based around something inherently cumbersome (the table) this is way more likely to want to be picked up by people, and this seems to be way more reliable and predictable too. I'm not sure if it'll be that popular but I can definitely see a sizable niche at the very least for this.

At least this seems way more feasible in the short term than full blown real holograms =P
AlexRamallo
Level 1

:0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 11:04:29 AM »

At least this seems way more feasible in the short term than full blown real holograms =P

Hey who knows? Maybe if this tech takes off in a couple of years we'll be seeing Holo Contact-Lenses that will make full-blown sci-fi holograms a reality Tongue

I guess the motion tracking and object recognition wont work that great in the beginning,

True, but I have high hopes. Remember, these are the same guys who brought us the Kinect. Not sure if you're that familiar with it, but the tracking quality coming out of a single camera is really amazing. I've actually used it before to make a short mocap animation in Blender a while back, with nothing more than a kinect camera and my living room. Tracking results were very impressive!

What really concerns me though about it is that people are saying the Holo Lens will only have a small 40-degree field of view, which is much less than other VR goggles. Hopefully that will improve in the future though.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 05:11:54 PM »

A bit of background ...

1. Hololens IS a kinect on the face, that's how it track surface from reality.

2. The failure of the kinect was the lag due to image analysis and low refresh rate from the camera (30fps), the Hololens has a dedicated and powerful FPGA for image analysis, on top of an actual gp/cpu combo.

3. Don't expect the 40 degree FOV to improve any sooner, each time you double the size the processing power need to go 4 times bigger and the power consumption/heats follows, it's on battery and on your head.

4. It has the same technical constrain than vr in term of latency, so it's a refresh rate of +90hz or bust, which limit a lot the processing power available.

The size of the field of view is basically that of a ipad at arm's length.
It's equivalent to look at a 102cm TV at 3m
It also allow high density of pixel

They show it there
http://i.imgur.com/xzGxaZH.png

Simulation of teh fov

The fov on the glass itself

It's a bit more sophisticate than that

It actually track a 3D scene instead of edge on a flat image, have better tracking fideliy, and the screen is see through.

In fact if we succeed in aligning camera FOV on top of a VR headset so that the focal point and FOV align with the real eyes, it might be the goto solution.

BUT both VR and hololens need to deal with actual real life DOF as the eyes focus on a point in depth

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 01:42:30 PM »

lol how easy it is to bullshit with VR stuff

i kinda had a feeling that certain things in the demo were fake tho. im not even sure it ran in realtime tbh.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2015, 02:17:08 PM »

It's not VR  Angry

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2015, 02:19:40 PM »

if it walks like a duck, quakcs like a duck and wears robocop goggles like a duck....
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2015, 02:55:37 PM »

Robocop is not VR either Giggle
It's AR

VR don't have real life integration they cut you from it.

One quack like a chicken, the other like a dinosaur

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2015, 06:15:54 PM »

robocop is just google glass

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2015, 06:31:34 PM »

It has tracking so it's above