Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411472 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 11:41:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsScout (new name wanted)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Scout (new name wanted)  (Read 2565 times)
Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« on: June 15, 2015, 01:31:26 PM »

Cleanup thread coming soon.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 05:21:42 AM by Crabby » Logged

Working on something new!
Follow me @CrabbyDev.
Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 05:37:56 AM »

I changed up the Scout design a bit. Here's his new walk animation.

Follow me @CrabbyDev.
BC92
Level 0

@1Saiyan_

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 08:02:31 AM »

I like the design, looking forward to seeing this game's development finished !
Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 11:36:45 AM »

I've got a new logo, courtesy of Chris Early (thanks!)

It could change, but I like it!
I'm also working on some decoration objects.
a 3 pack of soda
a soda machine
some crates
More to come in art, but I'm also working on gameplay. Scout can move, and I'm working on the talking mechanic.
Talking to people will be a huge component in Scout, and can influence what path you take.
As you can imagine, it is pretty hard to code (and to explain) but here's a scenario.

For example, there is an old man sitting nearby.
He asks you to get soda for him. You can either comply, and get a bottle cap badge, or refuse, and not get that badge.

You can only have one task at a time however, and tasks can be simple or complex.
But many people can give tasks, and many could have badges. Some could just be tricking you, however.
Scout is a complicated, story driven adventure, that I hope will be interesting to experience.
Cheers.  Coffee

Follow me @CrabbyDev.
Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 12:32:32 PM »

I actually have some Gifs to show of early gameplay! No HUD or anything like that yet, so it's more of a tech demo.
These are not final in any way.

The above gif is talking to a raider leader, there will be a task attached to that line of dialogue. (oh, and Sodie is a brand of soda in the wasteland. Flue is one of those, and its more blue nuclear waste than soda.
The below gif is talking to a candy salesman. He's just trying to make a living helping people.

The text boxes above the NPC's can be changed a lot, but I'm going to save that for other things.
Well, I think that's all I have for Scout currently. Devlogs are going to be once a week from now on. They're going to be on Mondays, and if I have anything else to add I'll add it on another day.
Cheers!  Coffee

Follow me @CrabbyDev.
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 04:59:07 PM »

I changed up the Scout design a bit. Here's his new walk animation.

his walking animation makes no sense at all...

try walking like him IRL
Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 02:51:02 AM »

Yeah. It's really odd now that I look at it. I'll fix it soon. Just wanted to get something up.

Follow me @CrabbyDev.
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 02:58:02 AM »

Loving the tiny pixel art.

Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 04:15:35 AM »

Loving the tiny pixel art.
Thank you!  Grin

Follow me @CrabbyDev.
Patomkin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 07:17:53 AM »

They are so small and cute!! Corny Laugh I like this!

Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 06:03:01 AM »

Hello everyone! I have news. I'm going to try to get the game ready for Magfest 2016!
This is going to be a big undertaking, and I don't know if I'm even going to be able to show it for long, but I will try.  Shrug
So. What do I have to do?
A lot.
I have to make a demo area, which means NPCs, quests and more sprites to make, and I have to touch up the mechanics, add a health system, and perfect the new inventory system! (I also need to work on my segways!)

Also shown in this gif is Scout's main defense: a slingshot.
This slingshot is not final, I just wanted to test it, and the animation didn't even play in the gif. (that will be fixed)
And if anyone has other ideas, say them. I need it if I want to hit the Magfest deadline.
But I have another question for you people.
How would you like to see a health system?
What system do you think would work best for Scout?
Sound off below.
I also have some NPC art to share!

Yep. Aliens are in Scout. They are part of an optional quest where you have to help them out (with what I won't say.)
And here's a short gif showing off the quest system. I gave a bottle of sodie flue to the raid leader, and he has something new to say! (you don't actually get the cap yet, thats on the todo list.)

So that's all for Devlog 1. Feedback is most appreciated.
I've got a lot of work to do to hit that deadline, so I'm gonna do my best.
Cheers!  Coffee (I'm gonna need a lot of this)

Follow me @CrabbyDev.
Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 05:16:46 PM »

All right. This isn't devlog 2, but I wanted to not keep you people waiting too long, so I have a big ol' checklist of what I've done and what I have to do.
So lets get this long list started!
TO FINISH A DEMO FOR MAGFEST, I MUST:
Remember to update this list.
Add a link to the Trello Board I have set up: Thats here! (https://trello.com/b/LkWh1Swk/scout-a-pin-and-a-long-checklist)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yep. This was an elaborate plan to show off my new Trello Board for Scout. BAM!
In all seriousness, go check out that board if you wish to see an actual progress chart. Devlogs will still be on Mondays, but more info will be on the board.
I have some tasks for Magfest up there right now.
Go check it out!
Cheers!  Coffee

Follow me @CrabbyDev.
Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 04:28:14 AM »

Devlog 2!
(yes I know it's a day late)
So in terms of gifs, there aren't going to be any this time.
Why not? Because I recently transferred this game to Gamemaker: Studio. And the computer I'm using for that does not have a gif capture program at the moment.
So instead I'm going to talk a little bit about how far I'm going to take Scout in terms of optimizing it for Studio. First, all future developments on Scout are probably going to be related to the Studio version, not the version I have been showing thus far. But that's good in the fact that Studio can fix a lot of the errors that the old version had. (such as collision, frame rates, etc.)
I can also create levels faster and easier, and modify code in certain objects in these levels. And that's great too. But what I'm really excited for how far I can take effects now.

For example, I could use a Gamemaker pre-built effect if I need to, or I could use an effect I make. It really lifts a weight of my shoulders, but I'm not just going to rely on Gamemaker effects.
But after all that talk about Studio, I want to talk a little bit about Quests in Scout. Or as I call them: Tasks.
Tasks can vary a lot depending on what you have to do. Simple tasks are just things like fetch me this item but they get you into another area too.
For example, if you run into a man who wants a Sodie Bottler Machine, you have to go to the Sodie Factory. Which leads you into a more dangerous but more loot-filled area. This area also has more tasks, and the cycle continues. More advanced tasks could be tougher variations of this lead me to a new place style of task. Or they could be completely different!
But I still need to code all of this, so this is a WIP system. I already have a weak kind of quest system built in, so I just need to make it more advanced.
Jeez. I need to do a lot.
Sorry for being a day late, sometimes life just gets in the way.
Hopefully I'll have Gifs next week. Hopefully.
Cheers everyone!  Coffee

Follow me @CrabbyDev.
Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2015, 09:07:55 AM »

Just wanted to make a quick little post saying that devlogs on mondays can stretch a little bit. What I mean is that I may have a big post, but I could also have smaller ones throughout the week.
So, to start this new posting schedule, I wanted to talk a little about two systems I plan on implementing in scout.
These systems are the building system, and the flute system.
The building system is if and when you see something you like (like a Sodie Bottling machine!) You can break it down if you have a wrench, and take it and construct it somewhere else. This allows you to build a camp or a settlement in an area, and be able to have an area where you can have everything you need.
But onto the flute system.
The flute is an item that plays a random music track when you use it. Music in Scout is not going to be something that plays every living second, so this flute helps you if you want to enjoy a tune as you adventure through the wastes. It's just an item that helps if you want music, and it's going to keep people from just turning the music down. You get to actually choose if you want it.
Well, I have to actually work on implementing these systems now. Suggest ideas for future items with a reply. I want each item to be varied and useful, no matter what it is.
Cheers!  Coffee

Follow me @CrabbyDev.
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2015, 09:15:48 AM »

Woah you're going to have a ton of empty space. Are you gonna draw pretty skies or something or fill it up in some way?

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2015, 09:17:32 AM »

Yep. I'm testing out clouds, and other things to fill up the skies. I'm mostly working on other things though, but rest assured, the skies will be filled!

Follow me @CrabbyDev.
Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2015, 03:09:04 PM »

Hello everybody! I'm back with another update on Scout! And this time, I have a gif to show!

It's Devlog Number 3!

Didn't get too much done (internet issues) but I did manage to implement that wrench system, as you can see above. It works anywhere, with any of those Sodie Bottler Machines. At least the ones for the flue anyway.
It gives a crate that can place the item. Really works great!
In other developments, I made a whole bunch of art. A lot. But all that will be used for future systems and things. So you followers of this devlog will be able to see it first on....

The new Scout Tumblr page!
 Hand Clap Smiley

And if you're wondering, yes, you can ask questions on there too. Spread this around! The more the merrier.
Here's the link. Not much up on there yet, but there will be more soon. http://scout-a-pin-and-a-blog.tumblr.com
So I think that's all for this update. I'm going to get back to a normal schedule, and I'm also going to work on music and that new flute system I said I would implement, and much much more!
Cheers everyone!  Coffee

Follow me @CrabbyDev.
Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2015, 05:35:18 PM »

Quick little addition to the above post, I wanted to share a bit of info about the new Game Maker: Studio refinements that I've added since upgrading to it.
Scout now runs at 60 fps, but it does dip a little on intense graphical scenes (scenes with a lot of effects, etc.)
That's why the gif looks so much smoother. It used to be running at 30 fps, but no more!
And I also can refine a lot of code issues.
But that's all for GM stuff, so I'm going to move on to another thing I want to cover in-depth: Music!
Oh music. The bane of my existence. The one thing I can't really do...YET!
I downloaded Famitracker, and found out I suck and everything else sounds much better.
So what to do?
Go the easy route! Do simple tunes rather than full on melodies. And that's how I got the idea for that whistle system.
But do I have any simple tunes yet? No...
And that's why I'm asking for help. Not to make music for scout, cause I can't pay for that, but to give tips. So any of you musical artists out there making chiptunes, help me please! Beg
Tips would be much appreciated.  Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right
Cheers!  Coffee

Follow me @CrabbyDev.
Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2015, 05:11:00 PM »

art art art, artsy art!
Tryin to animate NPCs

sippin' on a soda

Follow me @CrabbyDev.
Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2015, 03:01:28 PM »

Devlog Number 3!
Alrighty. No gifs to show, but just trust me.
I'm taking a little break from Scout development. So no Magfest demo.
But a demo? That's possible. In fact, a demo could be soon.
But I will be posting in this devlog, because...

IT'S TIME FOR THE SCOUTER'S TOURNEY!

Now, what is a Scouter's Tourney? Well, it's a vote. A vote about
http://strawpoll.me/4924609 Areas,
http://strawpoll.me/4924666 and Items!
Pick whatever you want to see! The best of the best will be added to Scout!
Click the links to vote!
Cheers! Coffee
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 05:31:37 AM by Crabby » Logged

Follow me @CrabbyDev.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic