Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 07:07:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioTigSource Musical Challenge XL - RANDOM (Sorge Island)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: TigSource Musical Challenge XL - RANDOM (Sorge Island)  (Read 1566 times)
Gabriel Naro
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 15, 2015, 02:23:19 PM »

The people want another musical challenge!

Due to all the past contestants disappearance I'm hosting the Musical Challange this month. The rules follow:

- The theme is Sorge Island
I went to Wikipedia and clicked Random Page, Sorge Island came out, and thats about it. Now, research plays a role in this composition, you have to find out what Sorge Island actually is, and then write a piece about it. You don't have to explain the concept, but it'd be nice if you did.

- At least 1min long
But if you write a 40s 3,000 chords jazz piece it is ok.

- Has to be new!
No rehashing old songs. Begin anew!

- My personal touch: MODE/TIME
I'm a prog fan, so to spice things up you'll be required to chose AT LEAST one: You have to use an odd time signature (that means no 4/4. 3/4 is kinda common so use it sparingly) |OR| Write on a Greek Mode other than Ionian (major) and Aeolian (natural minor).

DEADLINE: 6th of July

Good luck!  Toast Right
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 10:50:33 AM by narolol » Logged
Barendhoff
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 09:55:31 PM »

Cool! This should be fun. I'm glad we got a useful random Wikipedia page. Could've been 1968 Summer Olympics medal table. :p Good idea to spice things up the way you did. I'm looking forward to the entries!

Barendhoff
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 09:39:33 PM »

Bump--don't forget to participate everybody! Grin

Kyle Preston
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 08:20:56 AM »

I'm in crunch time mode for another project right now, but will vote and encourage! Best of luck everyone!  Gentleman

Daniel Pellicer
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 02:30:58 PM »

Expect something weird =>

https://soundcloud.com/danielpellicer/drifting-away-in-the-south-pole-tigsource-musical-challenge-xl

Song description (to give some context):

Use irregular rhythm (10/8). More than one minute. Theme: Sorge Island (an island in the south pole)

Lyrics:
Drift, drifting away.
The man that searches Sorge Island.
The island is there.

Drift, drifting away.
Try to find it, you can't.
The island is there.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 07:00:23 AM by Daniel Pellicer » Logged

Jon Sysyn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 08:58:07 AM »

Here's my entry,

https://soundcloud.com/sysmus/sorge-island

It was fun to work within the parameters you gave, it gave rise to some neat, unique musical environments to explore. So, thank you for suggesting them.

Hope you all enjoy.  Smiley

Daniel Pellicer
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 02:34:39 AM »

Come on guys! We need more entries!

Barendhoff
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 10:53:05 PM »

Submitting mine tomorrow--assuming we've got until July 6th 23:59!

Edit: Ha! Time acquired, entry submitted: Berelsund Forward Base. Also: nicely done, Daniel and UpliftingBreeze. Lovely! Interesting how you both choose to center your pieces around an ostinato. Gives a relaxing atmosphere, which I thought was slightly unusual for a region as uninhabitable as the polar region! I particularly enjoy your elegant piano play, UpliftingBreeze--a breezy melody indeed. I hope to learn how to play with similar subtlety and airiness some day.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 10:19:15 AM by Barendhoff » Logged

Jon Sysyn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 04:39:44 PM »

Thank you for your kind comment, I'm flattered and glad you enjoyed it! And thats true, I hadn't consciously realized that Daniel and I both used ostinato. That's a neat synchronization! (I'll say for myself that part of the reason why I chose (perhaps part-unconsciously) an ostinato, was because it way convenient and easier to maintain the mixed meter aspect of the piece hehe; Wink though I do think it's fitting for the character.

And Barendhoff, great piece! I enjoyed the painting of snow and fuzzy views through the low drone. And the melodies and counter melodies were quite lovely to observe in arabesque. Grin And the second section was such a contrast which was born naturally and grew so magically out of the 1st half! It was quite the trip; it was like finding a sunny oasis in a snowy desert.  Smiley

Daniel Pellicer
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 04:19:37 AM »

I think it's over now, right?

Narolooooool
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 09:16:17 AM by Daniel Pellicer » Logged

Gabriel Naro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 04:10:46 AM »

Hey guys!

Sorry I'm late, suddenly I stopped getting emails from TIG forums and got lost in time! I'm listening to your songs starting now! Soon, the voting post!
Gabriel Naro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 05:20:06 AM »

DONE: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=49059.0

Toast Right
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic