Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:34:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignDice RPG
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Dice RPG  (Read 3527 times)
DanglinBob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2015, 08:54:36 AM »

Wouldn't this just become a game of picking the highest possible die that denies your opponent his highest?

IE: in a scenario where I have a 6, 4, 2, 1 and he has a 4, 4, 2, 2 and the dice available are (for argument sake) 5, 4, 3, 3, 2, 1

I would always pick the 4 first, which would then force my opponent to pick 3. Then I pick the 2 next, forcing my opponent to pick 1. etc.

Or can you combine dice, which would be a little different but I'm not sure it would actually solve anything.

If you can combine the dice the scenario would play out (in this case) exactly as "I always take the highest die".

I did have an interesting thought - have you gone back and looked at the 90s game Dragon Dice (it's actually still around). Dungeons and Dragons' dice game.... had some interesting and clever RPG-esque mechanics to it.

Kinda totally different from where you've been going though Smiley
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2015, 11:59:24 AM »

no the numbers need to go in increasing. if you take the 4 you can only take a higher numbered dice. so if you grabbed a 4 you could not pick the two. meaning your enemy could then grab the 1, the 2, and then the 3. in that order, because you would have to pass each turn.

DanglinBob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2015, 03:49:19 PM »

Isn't the formula solved at the start though? There's a best pick every roll.
Artylo
Level 0

I'm just a voice, pal - a most talented failure, b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2015, 03:00:57 AM »

Seems interesting and beautifully simple. Perfect for the mobile market.
Have you thought of employing some gamebook combat. (Bloodsword, Fighting Fantasy, Sorcery, ect.)?
Most gamebooks are focused around the players rolling dice for most actions. Even in D&D (Dungeons and Dragons).
Blood sword has rules for attacking, casting spells, self-harm, critical hits, ect.
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2015, 08:58:13 AM »

Yeah I have been looking at a lot of RPGs and board games. I have a bunch of different ideas. But I know I want to have the game be dice based. I am also thinking something similar to the pathfinder card game where it's a line of encounters for you to get through. I am still trying to nail down the combat and I don't know if I want something that is more like a JRPG or more like a puzzle where you choose what you do with your dice.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2015, 05:54:41 PM »

Well still working on this but have not found a dice mechanic I like that has survived the prototype process.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2015, 05:48:31 PM »

work, work, work.

so still haven't found a mechanic for this. some more ones I tried were.

Yahtzee style gameplay where the player rolls dice and matches symbols to do attacks in 3 rolls.
I tried this, and its a similar system to Elder Sign Omens and Age of War. I hoped it would work out better, but the combat never really felt right.

Player rolls and trys to match the numbers the enemy has
the enemy has numbers and the player needs to roll and get numbers that are the same or higher, Again this didn't feel all that great either.

Player rolls 4 dice and chooses a move (Attack, Defend, Heal)
this had the player rolling 4 dice and then choosing what they wanted to do from those dice. so they could choose two actions. for example if the enemy was doing two attacks, they could choose swords to attack, or shields to block. This didnt feel great also, and the player didn't have much agency.

Player rolls a dice pool highest number wins
this was going with a more JRPG feel where the player just made an attack roll vs a defense roll. but the players attack number, was the amount of dice they rolled. so you had a better chance of rolling a high number with 3 dice, but there always is that small chance that a one dice monster could beat you. This felt fine, and might work, but it didnt seem to fit the kind of dice game I wanted to make, and I dont know if the player really even needed to see these rolls. Sp this idea is on the back burner for a future project maybe.

I think the first one is my best bet so far, but I want to make sure the player has some agency, so I am looking at ways to maybe redo that. I think I will try and make a proper prototype for that one this week. I can either have the player match the current monster they are fighting, or perhaps match to different attacks, like two pair does one damage, while 3 of a kind does 2 damage, and a small straight of 4 may heal the player. I could also forgo the numbers, and just use straight matching, like the player needs a 1,2,3 to do a slash, or three 6s to do a fireball. I think the straight matching would be easier to program, and I can make a bit of an easier curve by changing out what are on the dice, so maybe instead of a dice having 1-6, it has 1,1,1,2,2,3. so an attack of 111 is much easier to get then 123, or even 333. the only thing I worry about is the player having like a plethora of attacks to look through to see what they match. thats why it may just be easier to get the enemies a set for the player to match to. Then I can also change add some player skills or items or something that allow the player to manipulate the dice, but they can be a bit more obtuse like reroll all 1s or add +1 to each dice. I could do symbols but I think the player would click better with numbers.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic