Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 08:37:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralHave the programming skills, need software advice for game development
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Have the programming skills, need software advice for game development  (Read 962 times)
GeneralCody
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: June 18, 2015, 11:47:07 AM »

Hi! Just joined this board looking for some answers.

I DON't want to start a my software is better than yours debate (all though it might be inevitable).

I've been working in the IT industry since 1996, with everything from networking and computer security to system development projects as a lead programmer.
I've used C, C++, Python, C#, Perl and some other obscure languages.

The point now is that I'm sick of programming business applications, and would like to go all-in with development of games and possibly simulation of oil and gas if the games don't work out...

BUT. I don't understand what the difference between packages like "Allegorithmic Live" does that the "Quixel Suite" does not.
I don't know much about the general process of creating games what so ever actually, I just feel that this is the right thing.
I've been modeling in 3D for some time, so the actual game assets is not a problem for me to produce, given some directions.

Also the programming of the game logic should be something that I could handle given my background as a developer.

I've tried to pinpoint my questions:

1. What software do I need in order to produce a game asset, not considering polygonal modelers, as I already have my favorites and licenses to go along with them. I'm thinking in terms of creating materials. I only know how to do this the standard way to get a nice one frame render, but that isn't going to cut the grass in the game world... What is baking in displacement and how do I go about doing it?

I understand the basics of blocking in a polygonal model, refining it in a sculpting application and then re-topologize it and putting on these maps that I don't know shit about.

2. I have The programming and modeling skills (and tools) needed. What more do I need?
I have Unreal Engine 4.8 and I've purchased a license for the LeadWorks Engine (Standard) with a C++ API.
I also have a license for "App Game Kit 2" also with a C++ "tier 2" API.

What I think is that I need to know more about the shading / texturing and rendering of realtime graphics. I mean what is PBR or was it BPR texture assets and how do I use tools to put some nice textures to my 3d models?

Where do I go next, now that I know the programming and modeling and basics about general texturing, such as bump maps etc?

What game engine should I go for? Hopefully one of the ones mentioned is ok to start with...

EDIT: Just added Game Maker Studio Professional to the mix...
Grateful for answers.

GC
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 12:13:50 PM by GeneralCody » Logged
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 01:02:17 PM »

If you've never made a game before and are confused about what goes into it or what the frameworks/libraries/engines do, then I would definitely recommend that you leave those 3D visions aside for a little while and make something simple in 2D to begin with, just to get the workflow down.

It doesn't have to be big or good and you don't even have to release it. Just for your own sake, I think you should spend at least a month creating a simple game in 2D to get all the concepts down (game loop, input, updating and rendering, all types of logic and so on, not to mention all the glue between game states like menus and the like).

Unreal might not be the best option for that. Maybe Unity. Then you could keep working in Unity or go to Unreal when you're ready for 3D. Or just pure C++ with a library like SDL or SFML if you're already an awesome programmer. Or Haxe, perhaps. Python and PyGame? Many options.

What to use for assets depends on the assets of course.

You seem to have 3D software already, but otherwise I'd warmly recommend Blender. Free, and IMO a thousand times better modelling pipeline than Maya. Not necessarily any need to sculpt at all. Depends entirely on your style (and a game that needs sculpted models seems far too ambitious for a first project).

For 2D and textures you can go free with GIMP or expensive with Photoshop like the status quo, I guess. Lots of other options that'd be recommended by the pixel artists here, but I'm understanding that that's not what you're going to be going for anyway. As for maps (you mentioned displacement; there's also normal and bump maps and more) you might have to make them by hand, or you could use a generator like CrazyBump or you could generate it directly from a 3D model (there's a shader you can download for that for Blender at least).

Then there's audio. You could download royalty-free sound effects or buy some. Or foley your own if you have a good microphone. For music, all sorts of software from the cheaper (GarageBand) to the super expensive hardcore stuff (Cubase, Logic) and middle grounds like Fruity Loops. These days there are also algorithmic online generators and all sorts of craziness (or just royalty-free loops or proper soundtracks).

What more skills do you need? Not necessarily any. You could find someone to work with who fills in the skills you lack. Otherwise, see above. Graphics and audio, primarily. Writing, possibly. Game design, inevitably. Maybe PR eventually?

All in all, I simply think you should start small. Even if you're already a great programmer, there's a new flow and process to get into. I recommend you just play around to begin with. Make small games in a month each or so. Try different environments/languages. Join game jams (Ludum Dare, for example) where you get only a few days to make a game. Lots of fun and really productive.

Jordgubben
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 01:50:13 PM »

2. I have The programming and modeling skills (and tools) needed. What more do I need?

A through understanding of game mechanics and design. Thechnical skills (programming and modelling) is will only take you so far. Your real goal should not just be to make a game, but a relevant one. Making something that could be be classified as a game (or at least interactive entertainment with a goal) is a good first step, making it look pretty follows, but the road of the true master artisan is so much longer than that.

It's dangerous to go alone, take these:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ExtraCreditz
https://www.youtube.com/user/Campster
https://www.youtube.com/user/bunnyhopshow

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 03:23:16 AM »

Extra Credits is fun to watch, ya.

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 07:50:38 AM »

If you find a good texture-mapping program, please share your experience.

I use Gimp and Blender. It's possibly the most horrifying combination to do it with.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 07:53:36 AM »

I like GIMP and I love Blender. Sad Can't say I've done mapping tho.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 08:12:14 AM »

Here you can find some gem by looking carefully, PBR is explained
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=32227.0

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 08:15:46 AM »

However it seems you have problem with texturing, Blender is a easy way out as creating UV mapping is a joy, you don't mention rigging and skinning a model.

You should show what you do for modeling so we can evaluate.

PBR is less about texturing and more about teh physics of lighting, it define matter and it's interaction with light, so understanding this is important.

lithander
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 10:45:00 AM »

Have you considered looking for a job (or internship which should be eaier to get at smaller studios taht currently don't hire) at a game development studio?

You might be an exprienced programmer but you need to be an exprienced Game Developer if you want to make enough from gamedev to live on it the best way I can think off to get that is to make games together with people that *are* experienced.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 03:06:17 PM »

Consider buying this book

http://www.realtimerendering.com/

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 04:12:51 PM »

I've been working in the IT industry since 1996, with everything from networking and computer security to system development projects as a lead programmer.
I've used C, C++, Python, C#, Perl and some other obscure languages.

The point now is that I'm sick of programming business applications, and would like to go all-in with development of games and possibly simulation of oil and gas if the games don't work out...
Are you familiar with the concept of a "game loop"? If not you should google that first. You will have to wrap your head around to structure everything in a new way, a way that flows with the heart beat(game loop) of the game, unlike business applications etc.

A thorough understanding of the game loop is imperative to achieve perfect(if possible) game mechanics.

Regarding 3D stuff, alongside the recommended book "Real-Time Rendering" I found the following tutorial series pretty competent for a quick start: http://ogldev.atspace.co.uk/

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 04:34:09 AM »

A game loop is not that different from a normal software's structure, it's just made to be more obvious and exploited way more. You still need to get input, change variables and draw to the screen in both cases, the difference is usually in the level of abstraction of the whole thing.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic