Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 03:40:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsUnity in Action (intro book for programmers) is released!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Unity in Action (intro book for programmers) is released!  (Read 2167 times)
jhocking
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: June 19, 2015, 06:20:50 PM »

Unity in Action teaches you how to write and deploy games! You'll master the Unity toolset from the ground up, adding the skills you need to go from application coder to game developer. Based on Unity version 5.

Available as both a print book and e-book download from the publisher's website:
http://www.manning.com/UnityinAction

This book helps readers build successful games with the Unity game development platform. You will use the powerful C# language, Unity's intuitive workflow tools, and a state-of-the-art rendering engine to build and deploy mobile, desktop, and console games. Unity's single codebase approach minimizes inefficient switching among development tools and concentrates your attention on making great interactive experiences.

To get a sense of what the writing's like, here's Chapter 10 that explains how to program audio:
http://www.manning.com/hocking/UnityinAction_SampleChapter-10.pdf

(You'll need to know how to program, in C# or a similar OO language. No previous Unity experience or game development knowledge is assumed.)

Oh and about the author: I'm a software engineer specializing in interactive media development. I work for Synapse Games and teach classes in game development at Columbia College Chicago.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 06:44:58 PM by jhocking » Logged

-Joe Hocking | newArteest
Intro book for programmers: Unity in Action
jhocking
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 06:50:39 PM »

Just occurred to me I might want to point out the foreword too http://www.manning.com/hocking/excerpt_foreword.html

Jesse Schell, author of The Art of Game Design, was good enough to write the foreword for my book. I know a lot of game developers are fans of his book on game design!

Battlefrog
Level 0

Broc W.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 08:10:44 PM »

Ahh looks great. I'll check it out later.  Hand Thumbs Up Right
eka
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 08:50:15 AM »

You got me here. Just bought it. I always tried to delve into Unity but felt lost. Hope this will be a good read.
jhocking
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 10:22:52 AM »

I hope you guys like what you see! The material is carefully designed so that you understand what you're programming.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic