Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 05:44:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallGibraltar: A lunch-time strategy game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Gibraltar: A lunch-time strategy game  (Read 1562 times)
bleek
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: June 19, 2015, 09:37:12 PM »

Hi there!

My name is bleek and I’m making a fast paced, territory focused, turn based tactics game called Gibraltar. It takes inspiration from Advance Wars, Hearthstone, games like Backyard Football and Backyard Baseball as well as Go, a Japanese board game. I love the excitement and intensity of sitting around a table, computer or Gameboy and pitting your wits against friends'. When I set about making Gibraltar, I wanted to infuse it with that same sense of comradery and rivalry that I felt while playing Advance Wars years ago. I think of Gibraltar as a “lunch-time game” because I want it to feel like a game I would have played with my friends during lunch or recess as a kid.

Gibraltar differs from other turn based strategy games in that its primary goal is not to kill all the enemy’s units or even to capture the enemy’s bases, but to control his territory. The game board is divided into a grid. Players can control grid squares by capturing nearby buildings or by deploying Disrupter units, which can move around the board and take territory. The players have a small arsenal of units to defend their territory from encroaching Disrupters, each with their own strengths and weaknesses.

With Gibraltar, I really want to make sure that players can fit in a match wherever and whenever they want and still come out of it with a feeling of accomplishment. For this reason, the maps in Gibraltar are fairly small and game goals will be simple. The large time commitment is something that really drives me away from some competitive games. It certainly adds a sense of importance to the game but I want Gibraltar to flow quickly, smoothly and elegantly.

That’s about all I’m ready to share for now as a lot of mechanics are still in flux, so stay tuned for more updates! I’d love to hear your feedback on the premise and art I’ve got so far! Please please please be brutally honest! I need all the input I can get! This is the first time I’ve posted about the game so I’d be really like to know if Gibraltar sounds like a game you’d be interested in playing!

Cheers,

[._.]bleek
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 11:53:00 PM by bleek » Logged

bleek
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 07:42:59 PM »

Hi again!
Check out Gibraltar's IndieDB page. Here's a bit of the first update:

The idea for Gibraltar has been bouncing around in my head for the better part of three years. I finally started concept work on it two years ago. It originally featured a hex grid map system and much more simplified graphics. A code rewrite and several art overhauls later, I'm comfortable enough with the state of the game to begin showing it off and asking for feedback. Its only been played by a few people and is just beginning to come together. In this stage of development, it's critical to get as much feedback and testing in as possible so feel free to critique! As I start to nail some final mechanics down, I'll have the game up to test!

I'm a full-time student but I will try my best to keep this IndieDB page up to date and if there's an interest, I might do a devlog on the Tigsource forums. Keep on the look out for a big design writeup that details the game mechanics.

I'm hard at work on the GUI and menu system right now so I'll hopefully have some early gameplay videos up in the next few weeks to give more a sense of how Gibraltar will play out. Thanks for reading and stay tuned for more updates!

Coffee
[._.]bleek

bleek
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 11:23:52 PM »

A match of Gibraltar is split up into three main phases: First, you select what base you want to spawn your units around..

Proper map positioning is important. When choosing a base, you have to think about what units and strategies you like to employ and how effective they will be when fighting from this position.

Next, you spawn your units...

There will eventually (probably) be seven units in the Gibraltar. It's up to you which units will work best with your play style and where to spawn them within your base's territory. Putting your heavier units in front of your fast ones might slow your whole army down.. but it might also protect weak units during the opening moves of the game. Choices..

Lastly, you battle. I'm still working on the battle video / gif so keep an eye out for that.

Cheers!

« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 11:50:21 PM by bleek » Logged

bleek
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 06:00:41 PM »

Got tired of writing code a few nights ago so I made a fun poster! What do you think? I'm not sure if its really clear what it is.. Feedback?

These are artillery units, bringing glory to their Motherland, one of the soon-to-be-named factions of Gibraltar!. Artillery differs from other units in that it does not have to be adjacent to an enemy piece to attack it. It can fire from up to three grid spaces away (may be nerfed)! However, the greater the range you fire at, the greater chance your artillery will miss. Keep an eye out for more updates!

nanoboy
Level 0

ORBIZ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 06:13:22 PM »

I like the idea “lunch-time game”  Coffee
You should port it for android or iOS
Cheers  Beer!

bleek
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 07:42:34 PM »

I like the idea “lunch-time game”  Coffee
You should port it for android or iOS

Thanks, me too! I've been toying with the idea of porting to mobile, but there's some serious optimization to be done before I get to that point  Tongue

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic