Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 05:07:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborations2D programmer looking for an artist/writer with an idea
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 2D programmer looking for an artist/writer with an idea  (Read 872 times)
Hydorah
Level 0

Improved Push Movement (Final?)

View Profile
« on: June 22, 2015, 03:49:35 AM »

No pay necessary.  Cool  Hand Thumbs Down Right

I have many years of experience with 2D programming, more specifically in GM:S. If you're an artist/designer/writer with an at least somewhat ambitious game idea, PM me and I'll see what I can do. I am most adept with adventure games, SHMUPs, and side-scrolling platformers, among other things. I'm inexperienced with sandbox games, physics games, racing games, turn-based RPG's, and fighting games. Screw those. Also, screw cellphones. Windows master race!

I value story and immersion greatly. Games with lots of background lore/trivia, relatable characters, unfolding storylines, climactic bosses, high stakes - I love those. Think Iji. Small details and Easter eggs are also a favorite of mine - think SotN.

Game mechanics... I can fill in some blanks, but overall, if you have a game idea, you'll have to pitch in some details. We'll need a bit more than "Player will have 5 weapons and kill things". What kinds of weapons? How and when will the player acquire each weapon? How will the player acquire suitable ammunition, where, and in what form? Will -all- things be killable akin to Dark Souls? How will that affect story/progression? Etc.
It may seem like I'm asking for a lot, but that's because I have big expectations for such a project. Perhaps naively so.

I don't expect amazing art; nothing of the sort. Pixelated, hi-res, dark and gritty, light and colorful... All I care for is style and consistency. Pitch me a game idea with an example of your work (some sprites / mockup, or your overall game plot/setting) and I'll gladly work with you.

Actually, am I asking for too much? Am I going in over my head? I'm kind of new here... I wouldn't know if this is a douche-bag thing to ask for. Or maybe I'm expecting others to do all the work for me here... I'm really not. Creativity is my weakness in a way, and I'm looking for someone to fill the gap. I just didn't know it'd be such a large gap to fill.
UberGeek
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 06:17:51 AM »

I'd be interested if we worked together on a project idea of mine. If you want samples of the actual sprites for the concept art, I can do it in a day or two, just main cast of characters/enemies. Let me know if you want to see what I can do. I can also compose music, and been trying to figure out GMS for some time, and can do basic things but I don't know how to code really. Was going to make it myself, but your help would speed up the learning curve.

Here's the idea.

Earth Boy,
A 2D old school side scrolling shooter (up your alley I think), with a twist. Play as, Earth Boy,
as he flies through the air on his flying machine, the Junk O' Matic 2000 (a flying car of sorts) collecting power ups, space candy, hearts and cash (represented by golden dollar signs). Spend cash in a virtual store, a menu on the cosmic map (a map of the milky way of a few of the planets), to upgrade his flying machine, attack speed, acceleration, range and shield. Gain Experience Points, that are used to upgrade your psychic abilities, which you can equip in a menu, once you unlock them at different experience levels. Blast your way through Jupiter, Mars, Pluto, Venus, and Naptune, the Moon, and asteroid fields, as you reach your destination of Earth, as you fight Star Men, who have taken over your homeworld. (We can eliminate planets if we want to rush development) *Asteroid fields would be the easiest to create assets for, and we can use that as a sub level to reach a destination.                                       

The story is about Earth Boy, who traveled across the universe, and while he was away on his adventure, mysterious Star Men have appeared on Earth, and have begun an all out assault on Earthlings. The game begins with Earth Boy on the outer edge of the Milky Way, and must select different Planets to travel to and fight Star Men and other strange aliens. Until he reaches his home planet, Earth. Where he must defeat their leader.

Fast paced, non-stop action, with a RPG Twist.

Game Mechanics (basic) (I'll write more later if your interested, just that I do know what each of these abilities do, and creating the assets for it, shouldn't be much a problem, flashy lights and bullets and stuff.)

Psychic Abilities,
Mind Blast
Flash Drive
Psi-Wave
Alpha Force
Meta-Magnet
Brain Shock

Support Abilites
Overdrive - Speed up turbo mode for a few seconds.
Time Warp - Slow down time
Teleportation - Teleport short distances
Freeze Dimension - Stop time

Upgrade Flying Machine, your flying machine comes in different Models, and you can purchase them in a used car dealer, each model comes with different attack speeds, acceleration, range, and shielding.

Types of Models
Junk O' Matic 2000
Omni-Zipper
Solar Jet
Proto Speeder
Total Eclipse MkII

Each destroyed enemey, gives the player XP points, represented as XP and keeps score, which accumlate to unlock psychic abilities. The player can also collect powerups, in the form of space candy, which when enough are collected, 3 space candies, allows Earth Boy to use a special Super Attack based on the equiped ability.

Each level has a Sub-Boss, and a Major Boss.

The background is space, a psychedelic dimension, and what the surface of each planet would look like, repeated loop. So the background scrolls as the Player, moves around the 2D space parallel. Simple backgrounds.

Not your average shooter! I take art inspiration from the game Earthbound, and gameplay from Magical Chase, and mixed it with cute em'ups (you know those cutesy shooters that most never got released in the States, only in Japan), with a nice sci fi feel.

If you like the idea of the game, I can create assets, pixels and music, and I'm very dedicated to work on this project on my free time. Like, I'd work relentless nights on the graphics and music, just to flesh out each stage of the game. I'd really appreciate it if you helped, does this idea of game interest you?

What's your email? mines [email protected]
Hydorah
Level 0

Improved Push Movement (Final?)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 02:19:28 PM »

It sounds like a good starting idea. [email protected]
Send me some assets so I can put them together.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 03:35:17 PM by Hydorah » Logged
UberGeek
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 03:48:15 PM »

Sent you an email, let me know how you want to format the images size wise in GM. or check my forum on tig, with same pixels I sent via email.

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=48724.0
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 04:01:02 PM by UberGeek » Logged
UberGeek
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 05:30:30 AM »

I started work in GM:S. I got the player to shoot bullets at enemies, with the background scrolling. I need to create enemie deaths, like tiny pixelated explosions in many colours. But, I'm not sure how to do png strips or load it into GM:S, for animations, I'd prefer gif but I know GM doesn't support gif really. Let me know if you begun work or anything from what I sent you thru email.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 05:32:21 AM »

You guys should use your emails or skype to communicate. At the very least use a devlog for this.

UberGeek
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 03:39:23 PM »

Do you use skype? since you not respond to email. I got a prototype demo working in GM:S, let's talk on skype.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic