Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411476 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 03:27:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Best non-gamedev job options for experienced game programmers
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Best non-gamedev job options for experienced game programmers  (Read 857 times)
Martoon
Level 0

Derp!

View Profile WWW
« on: June 22, 2015, 09:06:21 AM »

I'm a software engineer with many years of game programming experience. I have experience in several 2D and 3D graphics APIs, various game engines, Flash (ActionScript), more recently Unity and a lot of C#, and of course several years with C/C++. I have a little experience now with mobile development, and some HTML5 and JavaScript (but not as much as I'd like).

But now I'm about to relocate to an area with no gamedev employment options (the New Haven/Hartford area of CT) and so I'm looking for software engineering work outside of game development. To be honest, I'm at a bit of a loss for what search terms to use on job sites to find non-gamedev jobs that match my skills and experience.

Has anyone else here been in a similar situation, and what kinds of jobs did you find that best fit with your experience?

Columbo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 10:33:37 AM »

If you're good with the C/C++ side of things (especially if you're comfortable with asm) then 'embedded' is one of the magic search words to find jobs.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 11:16:01 AM »

realtime systems and simulations has some similarities

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 12:09:20 PM »

I have a little experience now with mobile development, and some HTML5 and JavaScript (but not as much as I'd like).
Dang it. These were the two I was going to suggest.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic