Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:23:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMonokai
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Monokai  (Read 11739 times)
Sonoshee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: June 23, 2015, 09:35:17 AM »

Monokai

Media :
14.06.2015 :
[old version with aircrafts instead of vehicles]
http://i.imgur.com/msgjOIQ.gifv

22.08.2015 :
[old version with aircrafts instead of vehicles]

17.12.2015 :

03.01.2016 :

Overview :
- The game is an open-world racing shmup in which you have to move from island to island in the Hyperbelt, a long geographically enclosed sea filled with islands that are only reachable with a dedicated compass.
In each island you have to fight your way through Guardian enemies to make them drop a Frequency Chipset, which is a device you plug into your compass leading you to the next main island.

- Each main island has a central city where you can buy items and customize your gear.
In the city there is an Information Exchange Center, Laboratories, Shops, Galleries...

Story :
Your goal is to make yourself a way to Nausicaa, the last island of the Hyperbelt, to find a treasure left by Rogue, the only man known to have conquered that sea.
You will encounter Marines, Bounty-Hunters, and Guardians, all trying to stop you for a reason you have yet to discover, as that treasure is believed to contain more than just wealth and power.
Driven by Rogue's last words, Hunters are setting to find Nausicaa and discover what has Rogue left for human kind to discover.

[I'm keeping the story away from the dev log, as it would spoil and ruin the feeling of discovering what the Monokai treasure is]

Story-telling :
- Story is told through a set of Logs that are accessible from the Menu, these Logs hold information about the world such as its geography/history, creatures that reside in it, Enemies you meet, or information about other Hunters like you.
Whenever you meet a new creature, enemy, or find a new place, the corresponding Log is updated with new information that you can check anytime.
As such, there are no dialogues to tell the story, it's all about exploring the world and collecting data about it.

- Types of Logs include:
> Enemies Log
> Geography Log
> History Log
> Hunters Log
> Creatures Log
> Bounty Log
> Pictures Log
> Maps Log
> Achievements Log

- Note that some Log Entries aren't collectible in the game world, this includes data about some other Hunters you don't get to meet in the world, or some information about history or geography. The only way to get these kinds of information is through the Information Exchange Center in cities, in which you can exchange Log Entries with new ones.

- Also note that finding out about the geography and history of the world is crucial if you want to reach Nausicaa; its positions isn't prescribed in any Frequency Chipset.

What you get to do :

-Roaming:
The route to Nausicaa is considered almost impossible for most players to finish, and as such there are other routes like finding treasures in far away places, or discovering secondary islands and what information do they hold.

-Creatures Catching :
Catching creatures that are heard to only spawn on certain areas in the world, can be then sold to Laboratories in some cities or to Zoos.
Catching them is done via purchased capsules of different types based on what kind of creature you're catching ( fast, slow, small, big...)

-Treasures Hunting :
More info to come.

-Bounty Hunting :
More info to come.

-Racing:
More info to come.

-Photographing:
Taking pics of some creatures and storing them in the Pictures Logs for later reference or to sell them to Laboratories or to Galleries.

Links :
Tumblr dev log : http://sonoshee-yon.tumblr.com/tagged/monokai
Facebook page : https://www.facebook.com/monokaigame
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 03:17:45 AM by Sonoshee » Logged

Sonoshee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 09:37:03 AM »

Added :
- Engine Thrust : done some tweening animation on the the way the thrust is drawn, seems smooth enough.
- Movement : the movement is pretty darn slick, I’ve put some effort making and applying cars drifting mechanics to an actual aircraft, and it’s perfect. Probably not 100% real, but this is a game, right ? all that matters is that it feels good to control the aircraft in this state.
- Pacelines : I don’t know if that’s what experts call them, but those are those tiny lines drawing from the aircraft due to air friction. Emphasizes movement and makes it obvious where are you headed. ( for anyone interested in the technical side behind this, send me a message)

Sonoshee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 09:37:58 AM »

http://i.imgur.com/imLV68w.gifv ( heavy gif converted to gifv)

Added :
- Gunner : ability to shoot bullets having different power, sped, rate, and precision.
- Ejector : a component that lets the player place and orientate bullets he has acquired throughout the game. For the moment, this is only done from inside the development editor, an integrated visual editor is coming after I finish the basic gameplay mechanics.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 01:10:22 AM by Sonoshee » Logged

Sonoshee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 09:39:16 AM »

http://i.imgur.com/yXRhvMu.gifv ( heavy gif converted to gifv)

Added :
- Follower : a basic enemy that keeps following you. Probably won’t be included in the final release, I’m only using it to test some mechanics.
- Bullet Impacts.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 01:11:03 AM by Sonoshee » Logged

Sonoshee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 09:41:04 AM »

http://i.imgur.com/L6C91cF.gifv ( heavy gif converted to gifv)

Added :
- Enemy Health Indicator : a circle-shaped shape that appears around the enemy, indicates health points.
- Explosions : basic explosion animation and some juice added to the camera ( screen shakes and glitching)
- Dofawa Points : the game world currency, collected from enemies and other sources ( more info to come later).
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 01:11:48 AM by Sonoshee » Logged

Sonoshee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 09:42:07 AM »

http://i.imgur.com/6kV1YI7.gifv ( heavy gif converted to gifv)

Added :
- Player Health Indicator : Sorry for the messiness, the health indicator is the dark circle that’s getting scaled-down ( health decrease) and scaled-up ( healing). The idea here is to make the screen as free as possible from any HUD. This should help giving a clear panoramic view of the in-game scenery.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 01:12:12 AM by Sonoshee » Logged

Sonoshee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 09:43:20 AM »

http://i.imgur.com/Y2nA7yH.gifv ( heavy gif converted to gifv)

Added :
- Sky, Sea, Sun, Clouds : note that these are only temporary, the planned game world is hopefully much larger than just this; multiple areas all open-world ( sea, desert, jungle, volcano, floating islands, the Moon…)
- Water Splash : definitely not some fancy water physics there, but it’s good enough to give a physical presence to water.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 01:08:23 AM by Sonoshee » Logged

Sonoshee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 09:44:18 AM »

Added :
- Bomber : bomb him before he bombs you, that’s the idea. His “design” is inspired from Daisuke Amaya’s work on Cave Story ( reddish eyes, creepy and cute at the same time)

penguwin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 11:42:25 AM »

BUMP  Ninja
Sonoshee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 12:32:04 PM »

Oh a visitor! welcome aboard.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 12:46:01 PM by Sonoshee » Logged

Sonoshee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2015, 01:55:05 AM »

Added :
- Aim Helper : Helps aiming when you’re looking away from the aircraft ( at an enemy for example).

dancing_dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2015, 02:20:15 AM »

looks pretty cool. no multiplayer?

also, ergo proxy Hand Thumbs Up Left
Sonoshee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2015, 02:25:54 AM »

The game story takes some elements from Ergo Proxy, notably the ending when that airship was landing if you remember.
Now that you mention it the game mechanics might support multiplayer, but I guess that'd be for later ^_^

Sonoshee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2015, 04:20:27 AM »

Added :
- HUD Toggle : for extreme panoramic enjoyment.

Sonoshee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2015, 10:47:06 AM »

Added :
- Radar : for the moment it’s a plain dancing arrow pointing at the enemy. Might as well add info like distance aircraft/enemy and enemy’s health.

Sonoshee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2015, 01:05:06 PM »

Added :
- Orientation Indicator.

The Translocator
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2015, 02:02:20 PM »

This looks really cool, especially the transition between different bullet aim types and hud toggling. Can't wait to see more gameplay!

Sonoshee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2015, 12:24:15 AM »

BIG thanks man!! glad someone is enjoying what I've been building so far.

TheWing
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2015, 12:29:17 AM »

Looking really good, the feeling of motion is surely captured here!

Reminds me a bit of Sky Rogue and Luftrauser, but still it's got its own feel to it. Definitely keeping an eye on this, keep it up!

- - - -
Sonoshee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2015, 12:54:29 AM »

Thank you! Yes actually Sky Rogue had me inspired into making a sky dog-fighting game with a story and an open-world. Sky Rogue is the kind of games I love, bright, fast, cartoony, hella fun.
I had this idea before Luftrausers came out but when I played it along with other shmups I decided that this is probably the time for this game to see the light.
Stay updated!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic