Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411498 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 08:49:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsKnuckle Sandwich – Demo out now!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Knuckle Sandwich – Demo out now!  (Read 42752 times)
Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 15, 2015, 09:01:09 AM »

This game gets better and better.
Can I throw my money at you now?     Hand Shake Left Waaagh! Hand Money Right

Working on something new!
Follow me @CrabbyDev.
vigaman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: August 15, 2015, 12:40:37 PM »

Hahaha yep, I think people mentioned Earthbound or Mother 2 already. Yeah, having a relatable setting told in a surreal type fashion is something up in my interest alley. Just wondering...is the threat ex-terrestrial or psychologically ethereal since you mention that this game got it's inspiration from your bad work experiences in your teen years?

Hmmmm 

Panda Tiger Noir Wizard Ninja Gomez
Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 15, 2015, 01:29:41 PM »

I'm amazing at how fast you work and it's really cool that you just throw something in because someone suggested it. Haha. The idea of that camera always watching, but then running away is actually really creepy.

Would be interesting to find out more about it (side story?). Maybe it's just taking photos of you until the very end when you find out it's a documentary ... ... sorry I just finished watching The Office today.

Also I want to know more about this nightmare that spawned it haha.

On a side note, my new job blocks your gifs for some reason. It's totally ruined my morning routine. Sad
DuskedSky
Level 0

Jack of many trades, master of none

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: August 15, 2015, 01:58:16 PM »

That map editor is beautiful. It was a hard task removing my eyes from it. I wish I could create something like that, it seems like it would make map editing twice as fast and efficient.

I'm hyped for this game, and I'm even considering drawing some fanart. Keep up the amazing work!

davemakes
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: August 15, 2015, 03:29:06 PM »

This game looks and sounds amazing.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 15, 2015, 05:21:14 PM »

Well, it's really quite simple. I had a dream when I was really young (before I had started school) of a camera on a tripod who would chase me around and scare me while my parents would scream at me to come brush my teeth. I do remember why I dreamed such a wild thing though. The camera was part of a tv show where a witch transformed herself into a camera as camouflage and walked around, and I remember that really freaking me out for some reason. The parents telling me to come brush my teeth part was because my parents always yelled at me to come do that when I was young. I also remember it being outdoors, so I had probably been playing outside that day lol. And that's about all the story I can remember. I was probably like five though, so it's a really old dream.

OMGWTF Games
Level 0

Dev-ing those games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: August 15, 2015, 05:32:07 PM »

This feels so Earthbound.  Can't wait to get a chance to play this.

Tig Blog: Right here   Twitter: https://twitter.com/OMGWTFGameDev Sign up for our mailing list here!: CLICK CLICK
Andrew Brophy
Level 2

can't be hip forever

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: August 17, 2015, 06:02:26 AM »

This game gets better and better.
Can I throw my money at you now?     Hand Shake Left Waaagh! Hand Money Right

Hand Money Left Giggle Hand Money Right

Just wondering...is the threat ex-terrestrial or psychologically ethereal since you mention that this game got it's inspiration from your bad work experiences in your teen years?

I don't want spoilers, so I can't say for now! Maybe I did meet E.T.

I'm amazing at how fast you work and it's really cool that you just throw something in because someone suggested it. Haha. The idea of that camera always watching, but then running away is actually really creepy.

On a side note, my new job blocks your gifs for some reason. It's totally ruined my morning routine. Sad

Oh trust me, nothing is thrown in. The elements of this game are destiny.

Also, does your work block imgur? I can start hosting there also (or whatever host works for you).

That map editor is beautiful. It was a hard task removing my eyes from it. I wish I could create something like that, it seems like it would make map editing twice as fast and efficient.

I'm hyped for this game, and I'm even considering drawing some fanart. Keep up the amazing work!

Making tools that work specifically for you and the project you're working on is a great idea and I 100% recommend it, even if it's a little bit of work. Making areas and testing them is a breeze.

Also, do make fanart! I'd love to see fanart. I'm super nice to people who make fanart.

This game looks and sounds amazing.

You're a babe.

[...]

It's funny how some memories stick with us, huh? I can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday, but I can remember the theme song to a cartoon I watched once when I was eight.

This feels so Earthbound.  Can't wait to get a chance to play this.

Earthbound is dope. I think Mother 3 was the big one for me (I haven't actually played the first two since I was very young!). I think you'll really dig this game though! There's a few layers going on in the design. I have a mailing list if you want to be notified when there's something playable: http://knucklesandwich.biz/digest :~)

----------------------------------

The building from the last GIF was the local arcade that just opened up. Inside, you'll find a bunch of lil games that you can play (spoiler: they're polished up lil projects that I made within the last few years).

denzgd
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: August 17, 2015, 07:25:08 AM »

Did you make your website yourself? I noticed you are hosted on Tumblr, but it doesn't look like any of the default themes.

Irock
Level 5

why's my avatar so big

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: August 17, 2015, 09:05:04 PM »

signed up for the mailing list  Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right

jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 18, 2015, 12:27:40 AM »

I'm loving this effect, that is really cool
Nitro Crate
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 18, 2015, 02:58:26 AM »

wow this game looks really awesome man. So, this subpixel tweening, is that an algorithm of your design? I've been thinking of doing something similar, but just upscaling the sprites, and refining the animation instead.

Also, you said you're doing everything in surfaces?
I'm trying to figure out how you did that tree thing. So I'm guessing you have a couple layers for each color, and then you just warp and blend?

Sorry, this game is beautiful, I'm definitely inspired by it.

Also, that grass is kickass.
Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 18, 2015, 04:59:39 AM »

Signed up for the mailing. And nope, imgur works at the new place haha.  Cheesy
neko.works
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: August 18, 2015, 05:32:09 AM »

Looks great! Following Cool

Andrew Brophy
Level 2

can't be hip forever

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: August 19, 2015, 05:22:36 AM »

Did you make your website yourself? I noticed you are hosted on Tumblr, but it doesn't look like any of the default themes.

Yep. It's custom CSS built over a blank Tumblr template. I post the GIFs over there too, so people can follow it on Tumblr to get updates. It's probably not the most elegant setup, but for now, I'm not posting much news outside of the GIFs and the updates on this devlog, so it suits. Here's an example post.

signed up for the mailing list  Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right

You're username seems accurate! Hand Thumbs Up Right

[image]

I'm loving this effect, that is really cool

Thanks, but which one? There's a few going on in this GIF!

wow this game looks really awesome man. So, this subpixel tweening, is that an algorithm of your design? I've been thinking of doing something similar, but just upscaling the sprites, and refining the animation instead.

It's fairly intentional! I mean, it's a weird Gamemaker quirk, but I'm using it to my advantage to get more character out of some of the animations. As long as there's enough animation going on, I think it looks A-OK.

Also, you said you're doing everything in surfaces?
I'm trying to figure out how you did that tree thing. So I'm guessing you have a couple layers for each color, and then you just warp and blend?

Sorry, this game is beautiful, I'm definitely inspired by it.

Also, that grass is kickass.

Thankyou! Anyone who uses Gamemaker will know that it's mostly black magic that makes it work, but here's how I do that background effect (and yes, it's surfaces)...

Create Event
Code:
//create two surfaces
surf1    = surface_create(room_width,room_height);
surf2    = surface_create(room_width,room_height);

Dang, that was easy. So how it works is, we draw everything to surf1 and then we draw that surface to surf2, but with our colour and rotation effects.

Draw Event
Code:

if (surface_exists(surf1)) {    //always good to check because some computers are silly
   surface_set_target(surf1);   //set the drawing target to the first surface
   draw_clear_alpha(c_black,0); //clear the alpha

//draw whatever you want here
   //for example, i wrote:

with (tree) draw_self();

surface_reset_target(); //reset the target and stop drawing
   }
else {
surf1    = surface_create(room_width,room_height); //recreate the surface if it doesn't already exist
}

Okay, so that just gets us a surface drawing whatever we want. In GIF I showed before, I'm only drawing the trees, but you can put whatever you want there. This next bit is also in the draw event.

Draw Event (Part 2)
Code:
if (surface_exists(surf2)) {
     surface_set_target(surf2) //set the target to our second surface
     draw_set_blend_mode_ext(12,8); //this is the blend mode I used to get the smudge effect, but do experiment!
     draw_surface_ext(surf2,0,0,1,1,.1,c_white,1); //this makes the surface repeat itself, but rotating slightly each time
     draw_set_blend_mode(bm_normal); //reset the blend mode
     draw_surface_ext(surf1,0,0,1,1,0,make_color_hsv(current_time/10,255,255),.75); //draw our first surface but with the colour changed

surface_reset_target(); //reset the target

//finally, draw the main surface *again* but this time, it's our final surface
     draw_surface_ext(surf2,0,0,1,1,0,c_white,1);
     }

else {
     surf2 = surface_create(room_width, room_height);
     }

And here's the result:

Of course, I 100% recommend playing with the effect! Playing with the scaling, rotation and blend modes can go a long way!

Signed up for the mailing. And nope, imgur works at the new place haha.  Cheesy

Okay, cool. I'll use it as my host from now on. :~)

Looks great! Following Cool

Thankyou! I totally recommend the mail list if you want to be notified when there are big announcements! knucklesandwich.biz/digest

----------------------------------

So, the arcade will have new little games by me (and possibly others) inside! The first one is called Ladder Climber 2000 and it's about what would've happened if Y2K was as bad as everyone thought it was gonna be. Naturally, you can't rely on technology, so you gotta use ladders to save yourself from the global meltdown disaster.

Andrew Brophy
Level 2

can't be hip forever

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: August 22, 2015, 12:12:19 AM »

I added in little animated icons to represent controls in the dialogue recently.

There's a little gang of youths in the game called the Sunset Kids. What are they up to? No good, that's what!

Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 22, 2015, 07:10:10 PM »

I love the idea of the arcade haha. Imagine when people are streaming speed runs of games inside Knuckle Sandwich.

Also, icons in dialogue are perfect. In love with everything about this game. Smiley
eliasdaler
« Reply #117 on: August 23, 2015, 12:53:44 AM »

This game looks amazing. Earthboundish theme is a great selling point.
Following.
Andrew Brophy
Level 2

can't be hip forever

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: August 24, 2015, 03:44:27 AM »

I love the idea of the arcade haha. Imagine when people are streaming speed runs of games inside Knuckle Sandwich.

Also, icons in dialogue are perfect. In love with everything about this game. Smiley

<3 Maybe I'll add a speedrun mode for the arcade games. Imagine that!

This game looks amazing. Earthboundish theme is a great selling point.
Following.

There's a lot more to it than that! Thanks for the nice words. I feel like I say this every second post, but if you're keen on big updates and don't want to check in here all the time, feel free to subscribe to the mailing list: knucklesandwich.biz/digest

No GIF today, instead, take a look at one of the many art updates that I'm rolling out:

Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 24, 2015, 03:49:04 AM »

They're even more scary and delicious now!

Working on something new!
Follow me @CrabbyDev.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic