Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 12:58:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsKnuckle Sandwich – Demo out now!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Knuckle Sandwich – Demo out now!  (Read 42735 times)
Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2015, 05:26:57 AM »

Fiber Ghosts!
The backgrounds are great too. Reminds me of earthbound again.
And the fiber smacks look like extreme Lucky Charms.
Great that you got mentioned on Kotaku as well!

Working on something new!
Follow me @CrabbyDev.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2015, 05:35:33 AM »

Just out of curiosity because I'm using Game Maker as well for my projects, how did you structure the battle system code wise? Switching game states can be tricky in GM so I'd like to know how you did it.

Also, I'd like to express how incredibly radical this project is, it really seems like you're pouring your heart and soul into it. Keep going champ!

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2015, 05:45:52 AM »

Cool coverage!

Andrew Brophy
Level 2

can't be hip forever

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2015, 02:32:09 AM »

@Rebusmind: Thankyou for your kind words.  I made a 3D model of the box, then made a script that takes a screenshot of each side and then I turned that into a sprite. I had to do some cleanup with the colours to get it to look right, though.

@Crabby: Thanks. I've never had Lucky Charms before, but from the look of it, Fibre Ghosts would taste better.

@ProgramGamer: Thankyou very much. I am putting a lot of myself into this game.

To answer your question, it's actually pretty simple once you wrap your head around the loop that turn based games use. I based mine off research on how Pokémon does it, but then morphed it to suit the style of game I'm making (varying sized parties, special skills, etc).

So, first I made a script that runs a switch statement that returns the base stats of whatever character I'm looking for. It's called get_base() and all I have to ask it is the name of the thing I'm looking up (eg. get_base("player")). All the stat calculations are loaded up at the start of a battle, so for each character that's participating, I do a loop and run this script, which leaves me with all these temporary values for all the base stats of everything in the battle (HP, Attack, Defence... A few more I won't mention now). I then apply my Super Secret Brophy Math Formula to give every character the correct stats for the battle. I don't want people to be able to easily work out how the formula works in this game, so I'll link you to how Pokémon does it so you have an idea of where to start from: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Stats

The same setup structure applies to all the skills that are used in battle, except I just enter a number into the script to return a different attack (eg. get_skill(32); gets me the move "Curl Up").

I'd have to write a lot more to be able to go into detail about it, but the general idea is that I use ds_lists to track how many characters are in the battle, each move my party members make and, who they are targeting. I also use a heap of switch statements for calculations. Maybe not that wise!

@JctWood: Thanks! It's a good piece.

No GIF today. I want to see if this games holds up as well in static images:

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2015, 03:34:33 AM »

Super Secret Brophy Math Formula needs to be the name of an attack/item in Knuckle Sandwich.

Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2015, 03:24:55 PM »

Did you discover the Super Secret Brophy Math Formula when you Knuckle Sandwiched your calculator?

Follow me @CrabbyDev.
Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2015, 07:46:36 PM »

Dude, this game looks wonderous! Makes me think of Lisa in terms of quirkiness. Here's to hoping the story-line/gameplay is just as good as the artwork!

Andrew Brophy
Level 2

can't be hip forever

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2015, 02:51:09 AM »

Did you discover the Super Secret Brophy Math Formula when you Knuckle Sandwiched your calculator?
Super Secret Brophy Math Formula needs to be the name of an attack/item in Knuckle Sandwich.

Yes. Maybe to both.  Giggle

Dude, this game looks wonderous! Makes me think of Lisa in terms of quirkiness. Here's to hoping the story-line/gameplay is just as good as the artwork!

Thankyou. I honestly feel that KS will be a very memorable game. If you're into the art, then the rest will totally be up your alley.

Lisa is a very cool game.

Andrew Brophy
Level 2

can't be hip forever

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2015, 09:22:14 PM »

Here's the previous shot in action:

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2015, 11:02:45 PM »

Aqua smudge. Really loving the colours in that last one. I have no idea how achieve these things in GM? Do you use a shader.

Andrew Brophy
Level 2

can't be hip forever

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2015, 06:01:19 PM »

It's all surfaces!

PS. Bees.

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2015, 11:11:14 PM »

NOT THE BEES!

Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2015, 05:35:24 AM »

That's why all the bee's are going extinct.  Cry

Though, they look a bit more like wasps. Which is okay. Kill all the wasps! Anyway, it's looking really goooood.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2015, 05:36:24 AM »

I agree, they look more like wasps and I'm more okay with killing wasps than killing bees.

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2015, 06:45:42 AM »

Looking pretty cool. Love the theme and surrealism in the game Smiley

Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2015, 02:03:54 PM »

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!
 Waaagh! Waaagh! Waaagh! Waaagh! Waaagh! Waaagh! Waaagh! Waaagh! Waaagh! Waaagh! Waaagh! Waaagh! Waaagh!
I'm getting so much of that Earthbound vibe here though.
In the best way.

Follow me @CrabbyDev.
Andrew Brophy
Level 2

can't be hip forever

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2015, 03:51:54 AM »

In my heart "Killer Bees" = wasps.

Here's a very eccentric sea-based individual:

PS. If there's an aspect of this game you would like to see for tomorrow's GIF, let me know!

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2015, 05:28:06 AM »

Every fry-day night?  Huh?
Seeing that he's a fish, this doesn't exactly spell good news.

Also, an aspect of the game I'd like to see is a battle being triggered with the screen transition and everything. I'd like to see that and take inspiration from it!  Beg

Tondo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2015, 07:13:41 AM »

Oh blub, this game already looks fantastic!

I was wondering though, is this game going to be linear or free-exploration in terms of progression? Just wondering.
Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2015, 05:58:55 PM »

Im a little worried about the Fishman's safety at Club Sandwich, blub.
This still looks fan-flipping-tastic

Follow me @CrabbyDev.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic