Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:41:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingOpera Omnia [Release]
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Author Topic: Opera Omnia [Release]  (Read 46165 times)
increpare
« Reply #100 on: March 21, 2009, 10:48:08 AM »

EDIT AGAIN: On a side note, for future idiots like myself it might be kind of you to post a link to the most recent version in  your original post.
The link is always the same.  I should probably keep a log of when it was last updated there, though.

Also, I really don't want to have to replay all those early levels again, is there any way to pick up in the new version from my previous save?
there's a file called config.lua in the levels directory that stores save-data
Captain_404
« Reply #101 on: March 21, 2009, 08:26:02 PM »

EDIT AGAIN: On a side note, for future idiots like myself it might be kind of you to post a link to the most recent version in  your original post.
The link is always the same.  I should probably keep a log of when it was last updated there, though.

Ok, so that would mean I did download the latest version, in which case, I'm either doing it wrong or the game is doing it wrong.

So level 18 must still be glitching somehow. As I stated earlier, the game does not recognize that I've won even though I reduce every town's individual population to 0... although the overall population is still 2, I hope I don't have to reduce that as well? I kind of think my solution should also be valid.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: March 21, 2009, 08:32:41 PM »

Make sure you clear your internet cache. Sometimes if you download the same file at the same url twice, it'll just use the old file even if the file has changed. Which is why I never actually replace files on my server, just upload new versions under different names.

increpare
« Reply #103 on: March 22, 2009, 01:06:43 AM »

nah; if it's saying that the population must be 'less than 1' instead of 'less than 0' (or, alternatively v1.2 in readme.rtf) then it's the new version.  i'll look in to it.  I thought I had that fixed. (I think I'm going to leave in the disparity between the global/city population figures)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 06:30:04 AM by stephen lavelle » Logged
medieval
« Reply #104 on: March 22, 2009, 05:14:44 AM »

Hey stephen, congratulations on the custom title!
Pike
« Reply #105 on: March 22, 2009, 04:23:11 PM »

Good game so far though I'm stuck on level 10 at the moment (hints welcome).

I did notice one problem (I assume it's a bug but perhaps I'm misunderstanding something), if you right-click a route to restore it to full length the game doesn't seem to recalculate the populations.
Captain_404
« Reply #106 on: March 22, 2009, 05:37:29 PM »

Make sure you clear your internet cache. Sometimes if you download the same file at the same url twice, it'll just use the old file even if the file has changed. Which is why I never actually replace files on my server, just upload new versions under different names.

I actually downloaded it once this page reached about page 6 or 7, so I doubt there's any chance of this. I did clear cache and re-download though, and the problem persists for me anyway.

nah; if it's saying that the population must be 'less than 1' instead of 'less than 0' (or, alternatively v1.2 in readme.rtf) then it's the new version.

The readme says v1.2, the game, however, says 'less than 0'.
increpare
« Reply #107 on: March 23, 2009, 04:07:10 AM »

I did notice one problem (I assume it's a bug but perhaps I'm misunderstanding something), if you right-click a route to restore it to full length the game doesn't seem to recalculate the populations.
Ah yes, that be a bug.  Thanks for alerting me.

The readme says v1.2, the game, however, says 'less than 0'.
Hmm.  Maybe I didn't bother updating the version number in this release.  I'll release another bug-fix release later on tonight; I'll post here when it's fixed.
increpare
« Reply #108 on: March 23, 2009, 05:01:39 PM »

hmm.  okay, there were a bunch of weird things with the last release.  I think...they're maybe fixed now?  (I was able to play through all the levels just there, so)
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: March 24, 2009, 04:18:49 AM »

Don't know if you noticed, but Opera Omnia got RPS'd on Friday:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/03/20/prologue-to-history-opera-omnia/
Some major derailing going on in the comments!

I think I've got my brain around how things work now. Stage 7 was the main one I had trouble with, and once I figured out where I was supposed to be placing and removing the migration paths, it sort of clicked for me.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: March 25, 2009, 11:03:45 PM »

You maybe did see this? But the Onion AV Club reviewed Opera Omnia and rated it highly! The AV club reviews very few games and they're not easy to impress.

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
Massena
Level 4

Satisfied.

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 06, 2009, 03:29:21 PM »

Finally got around to playing this and I have to say, it's a great game!  Grin

First of all, the petty criticism! For some reason I found that the second level was the hardest of them all; I still didn't quite get the mechanics and the wording in the briefing is rather confusing. Also, while this may seem intuitive to everyone else, I didn't instantly understand that year 0 was the time most in the past. Also, level 18 seemed to me like I was exploiting rounding errors, which felt odd. You should also explain somewhere that distance influences migration rates. I had no idea!
And in really minor criticism the music did annoy me, but not too much  Tongue I found the loop too short and the notes played too dissonant.

With that out of the way I can only restate that it's a damn good game. At first I did think that the mechanics were poorly thought out but when I wrapped my head around it and started thinking more in the terms of "What must've happened so that from the initial conditions we got to the current ones?" I enjoyed the game to it's fullest and had a great time.

AaronAardvark
Level 1

Formerly RazputinOleander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: June 06, 2009, 03:39:25 PM »

For some reason I found that the second level was the hardest of them all; I still didn't quite get the mechanics and the wording in the briefing is rather confusing.

I think I agree with this.  I spent about 20 minutes on this game and didn't make it past level two at all.  I kept rereading the description at the start and retrying it, but no dice.  I should probably go back and see if I can figure it out this time.  It really was like staring at an opaque wall and trying to figure out what's going on behind there.
JimmyJ
Level 1

Hi!

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 05, 2010, 06:08:52 PM »

The download link is broken, can someone make a mirror?
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: January 05, 2010, 06:12:13 PM »

It's still available on Increpare's site: http://www.increpare.com/2009/02/opera-omnia/

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic