Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:19:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingOpera Omnia [Release]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Author Topic: Opera Omnia [Release]  (Read 46163 times)
Al King
Level 1

Nobody expects...

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2009, 06:49:30 AM »

Once it happened just when I'd laid the last route for level 16, and before the simulation had been run. The other time, I can't remember, but I'm fairly sure both times were in-level.
EDIT: (This is in vanilla XP, by the way.)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 03:16:41 PM by Al King » Logged
Therum
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2009, 02:55:24 PM »

I really liked this game. Totally stuck on 7, though - can't figure out any way to reduce the initial population at all, which makes me feel stupid, but oh well
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2009, 03:41:51 PM »

If there are famines (green stuff) you can reduce the initial pop by making sure the famines do not affect people. I.e. move them away from those spots prior to (in the past of) the famine happening. Famines grow population if you think backwards.

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2009, 04:56:56 PM »

It's taking me a while to come to terms with the ideas here, but I'm getting there. Great stuff.

Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2009, 06:54:59 PM »

18. What?
increpare
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2009, 06:56:41 PM »

18. What?
make sure you have the more recent build (i.e. not the first two I released).  in the initial build, that couldn't be finished.
ssfsx17
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2009, 11:10:41 PM »

Wow, that was a very haunting and disturbing game, especially Chapter 20, where you see how the historian's work was used to plan the usage of nuclear weapons / weaponized plague / intentional drought / whatever was used to artificially cause the famine. I wonder if the game was based on any particular real-world region, like Kosovo, Israel or Iran? I seriously hope that modern social sciences no longer work like this, and that we have today successfully marginalized those who say that certain cultures or races are superior.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2009, 11:22:54 PM »

Well, of course social sciences today usually aren't as extreme, but in art it's often good to take things to an extreme for purposes of clarity. Historical revisionism in general for political purposes is very real and prevalent, though.

For those of us in the US, one familiar example: most people in the US believe that the US won the revolutionary war, mainly through rebels and minute men. That's actually quite false -- it was France that won the revolutionary war for us, even to the extent of training our troops. But France's role is downplayed since it's convenient to believe that we won a war against Britain. There are tons of examples like that, each country has their own particularities.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2009, 11:28:07 PM »

Oh, and if you ever want to see it really taken to an extreme, look at North Korea. The official history of dear leader Kim Jong Il has him being born under a rainbow on a legendary mountain -- officially.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2009, 11:32:25 PM »

Oh, and if you ever want to see it really taken to an extreme, look at North Korea. The official history of dear leader Kim Jong Il has him being born under a rainbow on a legendary mountain -- officially.
I look forward to Opera Omnia 2, featuring a 'Deploy Rainbow' button.

mewse
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2009, 01:33:59 AM »

18. What?
make sure you have the more recent build (i.e. not the first two I released).  in the initial build, that couldn't be finished.

Is that more recent build available on the Mac as well?  I also can't finish level 18 with the most recent Mac build, although I seem to have satisfied all the stated requirements (no individual city with more than 1 Other population)..  I generally have a total 'Other' population of 2, but only have one city showing a single Other population, with all the other cities showing zero.  I'm assuming some rounding's going on somewhere, maybe?
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2009, 02:59:34 AM »

18. What?

Is that more recent build available on the Mac as well?  I also can't finish level 18 with the most recent Mac build, although I seem to have satisfied all the stated requirements (no individual city with more than 1 Other population)..  I generally have a total 'Other' population of 2, but only have one city showing a single Other population, with all the other cities showing zero.  I'm assuming some rounding's going on somewhere, maybe?
I think you actually have to get a population of 0 in every city.

Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2009, 09:03:02 AM »

I'm playing the mac version, and I can't get level 17 to work either. I meet the victory conditions and it doesn't register a win. I double-checked that I have the newest build.

Your link to the source files doesn't work.

After playing it for a while, I agree that this is your best game.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 09:09:33 AM by Bennett » Logged
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2009, 09:09:58 AM »

The way I got 18 to 0 population is this: keep in mind the migration rate depends on the DISTANCE between cities, cities closer to each other migrate faster. Therefore you can't just make a link to each of the 4 other cities and hope it splits evenly, you have to actually stop and start the migration lines at different times to ensure an equal split. After the original city is 0 and the population is split nearly exactly equally, there will be 0 people at 0 time.

increpare
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2009, 09:28:35 AM »

Thanks for the comments guys. 

okay.  there are a couple of things I have to check out, evidently. I'm busy today working on something else, but will spend tomorrow debugging this (and some other projects).

(in terms of objectives, 'should not exceed' should read 'should be less than', which probably matters most in level 18...)

(source link fixed)
Zaphos
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2009, 09:38:39 AM »

(in terms of objectives, 'should not exceed' should read 'should be less than', which probably matters most in level 18...)
Should be less than 0?  Really?
increpare
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2009, 09:45:01 AM »

Should be less than 0?  Really?
It says "should not exceed 1 at" the moment.  At least on the mac version.
Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2009, 09:58:59 AM »

Now I'm really nitpicking, but the menu bar says 'Mirror Stage' when you boot up the mac version, and the Readme in the source directory is the Infidelidad readme.
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2009, 10:28:34 AM »

spoiler

increpare
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2009, 10:41:36 AM »

Now I'm really nitpicking, but the menu bar says 'Mirror Stage' when you boot up the mac version, and the Readme in the source directory is the Infidelidad readme.
hah, yeah; I always get readme files mixed up.

menu bar stuff...I'm generally not to bothered about, but I'll make a note and fix it tomorrow.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic