Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:49:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsWishing Star
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Wishing Star  (Read 1718 times)
Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2015, 09:53:54 AM »

Hi TIG!

So, in attempts to keep my creativity sanity in check at work, I started a small prototype with some free time. I have some exciting (and hopefully unique) ideas I want to do. The plan for now is to just polish this prototype and add some flair.

I'm also looking for a 2D vector artist, so please let me know if you're interested!

Here is a video of the current version which includes the music:

« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 09:35:08 AM by Osteel » Logged
Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 06:15:10 AM »

Hi everyone! I've updated the first post with a new video of the prototype gameplay with music. You can check it out

. Thanks. Smiley
Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 09:29:07 AM »

Small update.

I've started adding the basic functionality for obstacle types. I say types, because (ideally) the game will be divided into different galaxies, each with their own theme. The idea is to be able to take these types and just reskin and tweak their properties.

Anyway, for now I have the "don't touch this, or die" type (the asteroid) and the "shoot things into space" type. The shooting obstacles can be configured to fire different at different amounts, fire rates and speed.

Here's the gif:

And here's what it looks like in boss mode (ie, bugged):

Smiley
Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 09:27:15 AM »

Another small update:

Cleaned up the shooting projectiles a little and also allowed them to be configured to bounce their particles up and down rather than shoot into space. Just some options for level creation:

I've also added another obstacle type that blows wind, pushing the star off course. It's a bit easy to dodge and recover from since you can double jump freely. Eventually double jumping will be limited either in cool down or number, though, so getting pushed off course can be damaging.

Also, pretend there's something 'blowing' the wind. Here's a mockup:

And I do plan on changing the particles so there's a variety of things blowing around (leaves, petals, etc.)

I'm pretty happy with the prototype now, so I'm going to start going through and cleaning up the bugs and logic issues. Not sure where I'll go from there, but we'll see!
BuckarooBadri
Level 0

OmniBus Driver

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 10:03:55 AM »

This looks awesome! I'll be following your dev logs, cant wait to see whats next!   Smiley
Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 09:57:06 AM »

Thank you!

I've decided to be brave and upload a web version of the prototype to get some feedback. It's super rough and nothing special, so please don't judge too harshly. Overall there's no critical bugs that occur, but there are plenty of logic issues and weirdness happening somethings.

Please let me know if you find anything so I can add it to my list of things to clean.

:D

I've removed the prototype for now, there's been some bigger changes that make it irrelevant. If you want to test it on an android device, let me know and I can  add you to the tester list!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 05:38:19 AM by Osteel » Logged
Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 06:07:24 AM »

I've got the game running on Android and it feels pretty good.

The main thing to report is that there's new controls for the game. You can now steer the star slightly and the double jump is a bit easier to aim. I'm actually debating removing the steering though, mainly because I don't want this to be a game about maneuvers, but about accurate straight lines. Hmm.

Anyway, here it is. Just imagine someone's tapping the screen until I can make a video of it on the phone.

clewcat
Level 0

clewcat on the fly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 10:48:50 PM »

The prototype already looks pretty neat! I'm curious about how the control feels. Any plan to release a demo?

Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 05:15:39 AM »

Hi guys,

So I've started a new job recently and was in a transitional phase. Also went on vacation between the two jobs and so didn't get to work on the game that much. But not anymore!

I've completely reworked the game from scratch taking into consideration all the suggestions people were giving me. Now, the star is all about constant motion, allowing you to orbit planets or simply bounce off them without stopping. I've created a little level to test this and recorded it:

Next I'll be continuing to work on the controls, allowing the player to fine tune their steering and work on the camera a bit more to allow it to smartly zoom out to show more when the star is travelling fast.

The prototype already looks pretty neat! I'm curious about how the control feels. Any plan to release a demo?

If anyone is really interested and wants to try it out themselves (Android only for now), let me know and I can send you the link to the APK on Google Play.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 05:52:24 AM by Osteel » Logged
Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 05:34:32 AM »

Hi everyone,

I've been working on the framework for the menu's leading up to playing a level. Now you can select a Galaxy (only one available) which then lets you select a level (only one test one available). I thought it might be cute to set up the level selection screen as a constellation of something that represents the galaxy. So for Windyvale, I chose ... a leaf. Haha.

Well, it's all just placeholders until an artist gets on board, but you get the idea. Here's the gif!

Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 05:51:45 AM »

Two new enemy types have been added to Wishing Star.

Enemy types are essentially templates to be used throughout the game. Because the game will take place in different themed galaxies, these types of enemies will be skinned and configured appropriately.

Here's what they look like: homing missiles and mines!

The first galaxy, Windyvale, is all about plantlife/greenery, etc. For the enemy that shoots missile, I was thinking of creating something like Vileplume that would shoot out thorns/spores which chase you around. Might be cute?

I will be working on cleaning bugs now and making projectiles explode when they impact things other than the star. I'm debating if obstacles like asteroids will break apart which might be a cool opportunity to hide collectibles inside requiring the player to guide the missiles to break them open? Hmm.

In other news, an artist should be starting next week so hopefully will have a fresh new look soon. Smiley
Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 09:35:01 AM »

Just a small (but kind of cool) update.

I've added the logic for projectiles to collide and trigger each other (missiles triggering a mine for example) and have made asteroids break apart when they get hit by something.

DISCLAIMER: This is impossible to play with a mouse/touchpad so forgive the jerky movement and the constant crashes (it's intende for mobile). Because of my terrible skills, you can watch the scene view to see what's happening.

OKAY! Here it is:

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic