Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 04:44:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCockpit CompetitionTragedius [FINISHED - final (post-compo) version is out]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Tragedius [FINISHED - final (post-compo) version is out]  (Read 52980 times)
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« on: February 21, 2009, 05:03:54 PM »

Tragedius CCE v0.93a (post-compo) downloads:
Mac OS X (8.91 MB) | Windows (7.85 MB)

Tragedius CCE v0.92a downloads:
Mac OS X (8.81 MB) | Windows (7.83 MB)

Structurally it can be considered complete. Artwork and levels will still be added and the bughunt is on.

Just More than a placeholder, now. There'll be a lot of some cockpit in this one, also speeding, jumping, collecting stuff, shooting at stuff, and much more.

- it's a rail shooter in the spirit of ye oldschoole, like Space Harrier, Katakis, Axelay, Panzer Dragoon, Starfox and so on. some of them I've just dug up from the bowels of my memory.
- thoughts about enemies (they'll most probably come in two or more different flavors (difficulty)):
  • trees - their purpose is rather cosmetical than anything else, but they're of course destructible, and destructible is good
  • sentinels - robots floating above the landscape and shooting at the player
  • assassins - jumping out from behind walls, the higher level versions aim better
  • gatekeepers - follow your movement along X and Y axes; higher level versions are faster and shooting
  • interceptors - ships that attack from behind, move along the Z axis, and keep shooting at you (they'll make a noise characteristic to them on a appearrance, at least the lower level versions)
  • floaters - these slow moving fatsos try to follow you along all three axes, and they're also shooting at you.
- bosses
- power-ups are for weapon power (srsly), maneuvering speed, jump jet capacity, partial invulnerability, shield regeneration. subject to change, might throw in different weapon types
(not in the Cockpit Compo Edition)
- playability: progress saved with each level, but not within level.
- replayability: multiple endings based on player performance (taking out certain enemies - somewhat parallel to the info cubes of Tyrian)
- includes level editor
- it's for windows and mac.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 10:24:53 AM by !CE-9 » Logged

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 05:16:57 PM »

Nice style, so far!
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 05:23:32 PM »

Nice style, so far!

cheers man, I hope I can get it better: the backdrop is just hastily ripped from Rectangle Rodeo, and for the terrain, I've got something nicer in mind.

the level was randomly generated at this point whereas I want to include handcrafted ones (+ editor) in the final version.

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 05:35:13 PM »

Ah, okay. So, is it still going to have a retro feel like this, or is it going to become more detailed?
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 06:05:29 PM »

bit more detail methinks. what I don't want to change is the chunkiness, but the terrain will get some sort of texture. I have more than one concept
- one is a (technically) 1D texture that fades with height .. e.g. blue - green - brown - grey - white (god, I used all my verbality for today), or whatever terrains I have in mind.
- tile texture(s) for the individual chunks (buildings / crates) -- this one will be more work, CPU-wise too.
- a "carpet" texture can be something

I guess it'll still feel plenty retro.=)

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 06:23:01 PM »

Sounds great! I love the idea of texturing each tile. Good luck!
PGGB
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 12:54:32 AM »

Looking good, I will definitely keep an eye on it.  Blink
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 02:23:11 AM »

thanks guys, hope this one looks even better (the cockpit is subject to change):

other than that the geometrics and graphics are pretty much settled, next up is the collision detection.

Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 02:46:18 AM »

Looks really nice! I like the idea of moving quickly and jumping through this landscape. How will that work?

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 04:09:32 AM »

quite a bit of a difference:

Looks really nice! I like the idea of moving quickly and jumping through this landscape. How will that work?

I'm thinking of something Space Harrier-esque mech-ish action. There's a few things I haven't decided (whether the columns will be solid blocks or papier-mache-like as they look). The pace of the game is still to be set. I'm doing the worst possible thing, writing it rather generic (actually I'd like to use the engine in another game, which will be a platformer=) ).

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 09:36:01 AM »

I thought I should give a  more informative answer about how the game is going to be now that I've got ot a clue:

- it'll be in the spirit of oldschool shooters, the above mentioned Space Harrier, Katakis, Axelay, Panzer Dragoon and so on.
- the name is SO changing.
- thoughts about enemies (they'll most probably come in two or more different flavors (difficulty)):
  • trees - their purpose is rather cosmetical than anything else, but they're of course destructible, and destructible is good
  • turrets - what it says on the box
  • sentinels - robots floating above the landscape and shooting at the player
  • troopers - jumping out from behind walls, the higher level versions aim better
  • gatekeepers - follow your movement along X and Y axes; higher level versions are faster and shooting
  • assassins - ships that attack from behind, move along the Z axis, and keep shooting at you (they'll make a noise characteristic to them on a appearrance, at least the lower level versions)
- bosses
- power-ups are for weapon power (srsly), maneuvering speed, jump jet capacity, partial invulnerability, shield regeneration. subject to change, might throw in different weapon types
- playability: progress saved with each level, but not within level.
- replayability: multiple endings based on player performance (taking out certain enemies - somewhat parallel to the info cubes of Tyrian)
- will include terrain editor
- it'll be for windows and mac.

back to coding now.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 01:50:39 PM by !CE-9 » Logged

Traveller
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 10:41:22 AM »

The aesthetics of those blue cubes is really very nice!  I love the visual style so far.

And even a little bit of Tyrian-inspired makes me very happy >.>
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 11:28:20 AM »

I'm actually quite psyched about this now! You've basically just listed a load of things are great; Space Harrier, Katakis, terrain editors, multiple endings, and.. trees! Definitely one I'm looking forward to.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 12:08:12 PM »

Wow, that looks beautiful! Can't wait to try it out!
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 06:53:18 AM »

trying out new heightmaps + a bit of no cockpit again:

I've completed the collision detection the rendering (we've got a map too) so it shouldn't be long before I post something triable if not playable.

Having said that, I've encountered something in the design that I'm very unhappy about, and that's to do with the pseudo-3Dness of the walls. Lips Sealed I'll find out something.

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2009, 09:32:57 AM »

i want xrhodes now. so bad.

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2009, 10:47:07 AM »

i want xrhodes now. so bad.
irony?

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2009, 04:05:42 AM »

nope.

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2009, 05:03:10 AM »

nope.

cool. sorry.=) it's just a 2D framework (and by an amateur)... (then again, Microsoft had just came out with Direct 2D, so who knows (he seems to - but I'm very off topic (and need to close a couple of parentheses (too)))). I'll release XR someday, but recently it's been just changing way too much.

On the bright side, there was a name update and some relevantness dumped into the threadhead.

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2009, 06:04:01 AM »

You tell me if you need someone to try it out :D

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic