Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:53:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCockpit CompetitionTragedius [FINISHED - final (post-compo) version is out]
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: Tragedius [FINISHED - final (post-compo) version is out]  (Read 52792 times)
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2009, 06:47:52 AM »

update light: game over tune added. go go threadhead!

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2009, 07:15:36 AM »

Holy crap it's HARD. WTF I think enemy bullets should be slowed down a tad to allow you better chance of dodging them.

Other than that it's looking awesome. Beer! Hand Thumbs Up Right

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2009, 09:22:41 AM »

Holy crap it's HARD. WTF I think enemy bullets should be slowed down a tad to allow you better chance of dodging them.
That must've been a wink to Pitchblackoids, I've toned it down now. There's a new build coming soon.

Other than that it's looking awesome. Beer! Hand Thumbs Up Right
Thanks.=)

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: April 04, 2009, 02:00:09 PM »

Okay computer, v0.92a is out now!

The improvements are numerous, please check readme.txt.

If you've made a level that you'd like to see included (and yourself credited for it of course), drop it here or PM with all of its dependencies (if you used something rather than the default textures and music).
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 03:19:10 PM by !CE-9 » Logged

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: April 07, 2009, 01:26:51 PM »

the quiet that has been there in the topic is rather informative, still, trying to do my best on my level I've picked up the source after these couple of days (and building a bed=) ), and carried on with it.

- after eventually seeing people play the game, I've toned the difficulty down farther down.
- the game being supposed to be an Anit-Shooter, I've removed the kill count from the evaluation and the HUD. you're only supposed to shoot certain entities (fail: this wasn't quite clear in the compo version).
- there'll be some messages to inform the player about crucial events like acquiring a bubble or approaching the end of the stage,
- I'm making a start on the bosses and implementing the story

EDIT: nevermind. I had one week extension in mind (starting 29th March), but I've just realized that the deadline is April 7th.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 01:45:03 PM by !CE-9 » Logged

Fuzz
« Reply #85 on: April 07, 2009, 02:31:53 PM »

the quiet that has been there in the topic is rather informative, still, trying to do my best on my level I've picked up the source after these couple of days (and building a bed=) ), and carried on with it.

- after eventually seeing people play the game, I've toned the difficulty down farther down.
- the game being supposed to be an Anit-Shooter, I've removed the kill count from the evaluation and the HUD. you're only supposed to shoot certain entities (fail: this wasn't quite clear in the compo version).
- there'll be some messages to inform the player about crucial events like acquiring a bubble or approaching the end of the stage,
- I'm making a start on the bosses and implementing the story

EDIT: nevermind. I had one week extension in mind (starting 29th March), but I've just realized that the deadline is April 7th.
The deadline was actually midnight Sunday.
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: April 07, 2009, 02:37:40 PM »

in default we (should really) trust.

Fuzz
« Reply #87 on: April 07, 2009, 02:44:57 PM »

The competition ends 12 hours from now (on Monday, 12:01am PST).  But I don't usually check entries until I wake up on Monday.
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: April 07, 2009, 02:46:42 PM »

The competition ends 12 hours from now (on Monday, 12:01am PST).  But I don't usually check entries until I wake up on Monday.

yeah, got it -- that's what I meant by my obscure wording. Wink

michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: April 08, 2009, 03:21:56 PM »

mac link no worky?   Concerned

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 08, 2009, 06:40:25 PM »

ICE-9, I took the liberty of fixing the links on the first page. Gentleman

Just gave the game a few plays. Pretty hard, especially if you're trying to kill the enemies, and some of them can take a beating. But it was fun, had nice music and sound and some stylish graphics.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 06:49:25 PM by Melly » Logged

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: April 09, 2009, 10:47:08 AM »

Thank you for the fix, Melly! Greatly appreciated.Gentleman

Also, glad you liked the style. The difficulty, it seems to be one of my weaknesses now - I've further toned it down for the first post-compo release, which will be soon out; however I've made a mistake by not pointing out in the game that the most foremost objective is to find and shoot the flashing enemies (as in the story version the Memory Bubbles will be pretty important) - this will be corrected too.

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 09, 2009, 10:07:30 PM »

Crashes on startup somewhere in SDL.dll

I have WinXP SP2 and a GeForce mobile video card.

I'll try the OSX version when I reboot into OSX, but thought i'd post this for posterity.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: April 10, 2009, 02:52:22 AM »

Crashes on startup somewhere in SDL.dll

I have WinXP SP2 and a GeForce mobile video card.

Thanks for the note, Ivan.

The SDL .dlls are the factory default ones; I've tested the game on a Bootcamp XP SP2 (although on an ATI card), and the closest it came to a crash like that was when I forgot to include the ogg vorbis dlls. I don't know if it could be something related to those this time? (I can't remember whether the stderr,txt is getting deleted on crash or is it any help?)

I hope the OSX version worked fine.

Bob le Moche
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: April 10, 2009, 12:02:10 PM »

Great game! I wasn't able to get to the end of the forest level though, it's much harder to dodge bullets in it than the other two.
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: April 10, 2009, 12:13:33 PM »

I like the paper cut out look of everything, like a popup book, but I think you should have taken it further. Put little white cutout lines around all the enemies. Have levels open up like a pop up book. A scifi popup book.

But bytejacker liked it.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
Fuzz
« Reply #96 on: April 10, 2009, 02:40:32 PM »

It's not really meant to be like a popup book, just 2D objects in a 3D space.
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: April 10, 2009, 10:44:12 PM »

Great game! I wasn't able to get to the end of the forest level though, it's much harder to dodge bullets in it than the other two.
Glad you liked it.=) The forest level is a bitch, but positioning walls between the bullets and yourself help in minimizing the amount of dodging that you have to do (which otherwise is a lot -- you have to be in about constant motion, however it means more like small movements).

I like the paper cut out look of everything, like a popup book, but I think you should have taken it further. Put little white cutout lines around all the enemies. Have levels open up like a pop up book. A scifi popup book.
I like the idea (as such)! Considering that I wanted to make use of the engine for another game, I may build upon it, but for Tragedius I won't be going in that direction. (The story mode will clear it all up.)

But bytejacker liked it.
Shocked  This is awesome news!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 10:47:40 PM by !CE-9 » Logged

Greender
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: April 17, 2009, 10:12:54 PM »

Very cool loocking game and concept, it is kind of hard to aim at an enemy, but very good congrats.

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: May 05, 2009, 10:32:04 AM »

thanks, Greender (and everyone who voted).

just to be on the complete side, I've released the final version of Tragedius.

new features include:
- full screen motion blur
- Gatekeeper collision detection fixed
- we've got game messages
- got a new scoring system which might or might not work better than it used to, but hopefully point towards the objective of the game

The reason for the release is nothing else but having wanted to see some new features of the XRhodes library in action (and fast) and fixing some mistakes in the design. The GLU32 dependency is cut off too (the only functionality the library was using was mipmaps - now the irregular (not power of 2 pixels wide/high) textures look a bit uglier on scaling but the game is running faster).

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic