Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:45:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralAmericans can now have gay marriages!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Americans can now have gay marriages!  (Read 2750 times)
crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2015, 09:36:54 PM »

it's a fucking amazing day, you should be celebrating! unless you already live in a place with gay marriage i guess, like canada or ireland, in which case congrats.
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 01:23:43 AM »

Can attest; today was great. Also very timely, since it's LGBT Pride Week in California
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 01:39:09 AM »

yeah its been crazy! i live in boston, where gay marriage was first legalized (for the state) 10 years ago, and there have been epic parties everywhere all day long. clearly its a big civil right step, but culturally its turned into an emblem of progressive politics and rallying point for optimism. literally everything on my social feeds have been all rainbow solidarity and brands rushing in to make sure people are aware they are on the right side of history, that sort of thing. watching frothing conservatives imploding into a hateful singularity has been quite hilarious too.

also, obamas national healthcare plan was confirmed by the supreme court, which is a big deal too. after last weeks shootings and racism, and the fucked up dialogue, this has all been catharsis that we dearly needed. big step for civil rights, but also something we can be proud of and say "we are making progress, it takes a while but maybe things will be okay".

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 05:18:51 AM »

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
dancing_dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 07:16:10 AM »

pretty sweet. where I'm from, we still got ways to go for stuff like this. just now they declared a new law against "unvirtuous education", whatever petty propaganda may that bring.

congratulations, us folks.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 07:19:10 AM »

gud jab murrca ur a real contry now

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 09:06:46 AM »

This is great news! Our embarrassing PM in Australia is still unmoved though:

"Obviously there is a community debate going on, I have views on this subject which are pretty well known and they haven't changed."

As an outsider looking in, it's always struck me that Aussie politics were reactionary - and shortsightedly so. Everything along the lines of, "Until it's broke, not only don't fix it, but argue against improvements". But then, once it's plain to everyone that it's broke, you're all, "OMGWTFBBQ FIX IT NAO!" which is sort of where the US falls down and goes, "Yeah, it's broke, but someone else will fix it."
I'm sure there's many subtleties that escape me and this is an overly broad generalization.

By comparison, we in Canada have a populace as shortsighted and stupid as any other, but there's a few crack legislators on each team that have an eye for the future, thank goodness.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 10:08:46 AM »

"crack legislator" sounds negative tho

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 10:18:07 AM »

Well, they did vote "Crack Mayor" Rob Ford to power in Toronto several times
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/04/08/why-crack-mayor-rob-ford-is-still-center-stage-in-toronto.html

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2015, 10:26:13 AM »

o i remember reading bout dat guy

MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2015, 12:30:02 PM »

MISUNDERSTOOD COURT RULING; CURRENTLY ENGAGED TO MY HEALTH INSURANCE PROVIDER.

Miziziziz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2015, 12:42:27 PM »

Man this is so cool. I have a lot of friends who are gay, so I'm happy to see this getting passed.

Jordgubben
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2015, 01:43:56 PM »

Congratulations. Now if we could only get the whole of the EU to follow your example. Gentleman

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recognition_of_same-sex_unions_in_Europe)

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2015, 11:55:37 PM »

We just elected a super-conservative, right-wing Catholic as our president here in Poland, so it's not happening anytime soon.

One of my team members is co-running a campaign for basic civil partnerships (marriage is not even talkable at this point), and even that is met with incredible amount of resistance from both the government and the general populace.

Facepalm

Still, the US thing gives one hope a similar change is possible in our part of the world at some point in the future. Especially with how quickly it went from a nearly 100% ban to 100% LET'S GET MARRIED!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 12:46:44 AM by TeeGee » Logged

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2015, 12:09:52 AM »

in eastern europe yure going to get called a pederast for being a nice person
Jordgubben
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2015, 08:44:46 AM »

One of my team members is co-running a campaign for basic civil partnerships (marriage is not even talkable at this point), and even that is met with incredible amount of resistance from both the government and the general populace.

If it's any comfort, getting at civil partnerships legislation was a pretty big deal in Sweden to. But legalizing same sex marriage 15 years later was more or less a non issue. We even had a mostly conservative national cabinet at the time.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2015, 09:20:27 AM »

If it's any comfort, getting at civil partnerships legislation was a pretty big deal in Sweden to. But legalizing same sex marriage 15 years later was more or less a non issue. We even had a mostly conservative national cabinet at the time.

my country has had the civil partnership thing only for a few years.

yes i live in a conservative catholic country too, tho probably less conservative and religious than poland. we don't have that many deeply religious people here but the church is rather powerful and influential if that makes any sense.

for instance there was a recent case where catholic groups successfully lobbied for banning a sex ed book for kids b/c it talked about non-hetero sexuality.

the best part about this is that we outwardly pose as progressive and LGBT friendly when the opposite is actually true.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 09:26:34 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
DanglinBob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2015, 10:45:35 AM »

I think the lesson is that things take time to get moving but once they do, the dominoes fall pretty damn fast. It's true of gay rights as much as it is the opposite types of things (hate, racism, and so on)...

So in short, always pay attention to things that seem like a big change that is slowly gaining speed!

Really though, kudos to Ireland for beating the US to it and doing it by popular vote. They're ahead of us on this one.
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2015, 05:48:15 PM »

In Argentina it was amusing (although we skipped the civil partnership part, mind you). There was accumulating a lot of discussion about gay marraige, and then the last few months the "marriage judges" (whatever they're called in English) simply started marrying gay couples regardless of what the law said. Guess the outcome.
MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2015, 07:53:26 PM »

So which a y'all likes almonds?

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic