Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:24:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCockpit CompetitionFlagella of Fury [DEMO FINISHED]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Flagella of Fury [DEMO FINISHED]  (Read 5901 times)
TooMuchSpareTime
Level 3

Came for the VGNG comp, stayed for the other stuff

View Profile WWW
« on: February 21, 2009, 05:07:25 PM »

A conceptual(Durr...?) mockup of the sort of game that this "first-person wiggler" might look like:

Hopefully, this will be a very silly, simple shmup with an undeservingly fancy dashboard and plenty of unnecessary weapons to use on a very small variety of enemies. Goal: Get to the egg... FIRST... AT. ALL. COSTS.

I'll be making it Flash, so I hope it doesn't run into speed problems. If it gets to a point where it slows down too much, I'll stop developing it there, polish up any buggy bits and then release it. I haven't made a shmup in Flash before, but I did once make a simple top-down version of this very game in QBASIC for laughs, 11 years ago. I like the idea of a living cell being controlled by a pilot sitting at a hi-tech control panel, probably because when I was a kid I had this book that used cartoony analogies like that to explain how the human body worked.

Feel free to make suggestions (and puns).

Maybe a game like this has been done before, but I don't wanna compare anything until I've finished my version. Wink The complete phrase "Flagella of Fury" (working title) got 0 hits on google, which is a good start! (Flagellum = the wiggly tail that sperm cells (among others) use for propulsion.)

(Yes, I realise that the Adult Games Compo hasn't started yet, hence the importance of the cockpit view. No "prematurity" here! Nyuk-nyuk. Well, hello there!)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 10:17:39 PM by TooMuchSpareTime » Logged
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 05:15:57 PM »

cockpit, oooh, I get it!

love the traditional TMST style.

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 03:01:30 AM »

Awesome idea! Very good usage of the cockpit! x)

sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 03:44:06 AM »

Flagella of Fury is a working title? You've got to be kidding me! That is possibly the best name for anything... ever.
TooMuchSpareTime
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 11:06:41 PM »

First Demo: Well, after a lot more work that it really ought to have taken, I've got a "tunnel" background up and running. No enemies or firepower yet.

See if you can "break" it. (And tell me how you managed it!)  Wink

DEMO 1 (plays in browser window)

You're always swimming down this tunnel at constant speed (until you find speed-booster powerups - yet to be implemented), but you can move about radially and by sort of rolling around in a circle.
Fuzz
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 11:17:39 PM »

I like it. Hopefully this will get farther than Mega Spatula Fury...
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 11:41:53 PM »

Very nice.

TooMuchSpareTime
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 09:42:14 PM »

Urg. Making pseudo- first person stuff in Flash ain't easy. This might yet end up being a "dodge the other sperm" game rather than a shoot-em-up.

Screengrab:
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 09:47:43 PM by TooMuchSpareTime » Logged
Günter
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 11:25:15 PM »

I was wondering how long it would be until I saw a penis game. Honestly, it took longer than I thought it would.
Fuzz
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 12:07:12 AM »

I was wondering how long it would be until I saw a penis game. Honestly, it took longer than I thought it would.
So you didn't see Large Hardon Collider yet?
TooMuchSpareTime
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 04:18:22 PM »

I might have to wrap this one up as "Finished" pretty soon, as Flash is interpreting a frame with nothing but the command _parent._parent.gotoAndPlay(40); as having gotoAndPlay(1); in one of my movieclips, although other script works fine.

Also a bunch of other unexplained anomalies, such as identical copies of objects behaving radically differently to each other. :3

Bah!

Serves me right for not using a REAL programming language!  :D
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 04:46:48 PM by TooMuchSpareTime » Logged
TooMuchSpareTime
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 11:23:34 PM »

SO

I had to abandon this because while the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th (identical) copies of the "sperm cell" object all work perfectly in the game, anything from the 11th and upward doesn't. It just makes every 'miss' a 'hit'. I redid the collision code entirely so that it was all number-based instead of hitTest()-based, but the same problem occurred. I even tried a combo of both, and the same result kept happening. I guess Actionscript sucks balls after all. (I know from other projects that there's no golden rule forbidding there to be more than 9 copies of an object. They all worked fine! WHY NOT THIS ONE?)

I don't think this is a valild entry, since it isn't so much a game as a trainwreck to gawk at!  Cry
But it has god mode etc, so you can at least get to the end without dying. And when you do get to the end, you can click the invisible button in the upper left to view all of the "alternate endings" that depend on how many collisions you had during the game!

Here it be: http://smorgasboredom.deviantart.com/art/Flagella-of-Fury-118053996

Maybe someday I will have a compo entry that actually works properly and is complete (and isn't a complete joke)...   PandaHand Shake Right *sad panda*
Fuzz
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 11:32:56 PM »

The file won't load for me when I go to the Deviantart page. Sad
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 04:06:46 AM »

Yeah, it says I need to setup an account to view "Mature art" Huh?
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 05:17:27 AM »

there was a similar game by a bunch of Italian guys.

this one has more lulz and cockpits.

Fuzz
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2009, 08:25:19 AM »

Yeah, it says I need to setup an account to view "Mature art" Huh?
No, I did that, but then it still wouldn't load. Sad
TooMuchSpareTime
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2009, 11:54:50 AM »

Did you put your date of birth as being more than 18 years ago?
Fuzz
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2009, 11:57:04 AM »

Did you put your date of birth as being more than 18 years ago?
I put it to 1908. :D
It simply wouldn't load the flash file.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic