Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:23:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Any ActionScript 3.0 Devs?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Any ActionScript 3.0 Devs?  (Read 975 times)
Shuterman
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 29, 2015, 02:23:27 AM »

Are any ActionScript 3.0, Flash developers around here?

I love ninjago games.
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 02:40:28 PM »

Not nearly as many as there used to be. I started off in AS3, but it's dwindling as Adobe stops supporting it properly and HTML5 becomes more common for the kind of tasks that Flash used to excel at.

These days, most of the serious AS3 developers have transitioned over to OpenFL. This is a HAXE-based port of the AS3 development environment that allows for much broader support. It allows traditional Flash AS3 devs to code up projects in the structure that they're familiar with, but build their projects to a whole slew of different platforms and devices. (including the Flash player, if you really want to)
COOLIO5676
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 09:13:41 PM »

reporting in  Beer!
mizel
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 04:00:24 AM »

reporting also! Shrug

I love baby games.
BrandLibel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 08:22:48 PM »

Yup, still doing AS3

These days, most of the serious AS3 developers have transitioned over to OpenFL. This is a HAXE-based port of the AS3 development environment that allows for much broader support.

I'd also like to add that many are using Adobe AIR and Stage3d. AIR can run on mobile and desktop, Stage3d allows hardware accelerated graphics, and both are essentially still Flash.

jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 08:29:45 PM »

Jumped ship from AS3 a couple years ago, but I still love the language and API. Just wish it hadn't lost favour the way it did.
Jordgubben
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 11:10:58 AM »

I used to be Flash game dev, but then I took a Flash coder day job to the knee. The plan was to use what I learned in my day job for my hobby endeavours. But the plan backfired because working with flash in my day job made spare time coding feel like work (I even used the same IDE Lips Sealed). So after a while I jumped ship to HTML5.

Flash did a lot of scouting for the web and made things possible long before browsers and the W3C could catch up. But open standards tend to win over proprietary platforms in the long run, so I think the decline of the Flash platform is a good change.

That said, As3 has some very good ideas; It does more things right than it gets credit for. The optional (but recommended) type safety is probably the best of them. I can not recall another language that does that so seamlessly.

These days, most of the serious AS3 developers have transitioned over to OpenFL. This is a HAXE-based port of the AS3 development environment that allows for much broader support. It allows traditional Flash AS3 devs to code up projects in the structure that they're familiar with, but build their projects to a whole slew of different platforms and devices. (including the Flash player, if you really want to)

I did not know this. Will check it out.   Hand Fork Left Kiss Hand Knife Right

thephantom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 10:33:31 PM »

Yup, I am making my game with AS3 (AIR and Stage3D)!  Gentleman
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 10:44:54 PM by thephantom » Logged

RpgLegend - retro 2D multiplayer RPG:
NathanielA
Level 0

Working hard to get Himeko Sutori ready

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 05:49:05 PM »

I'm doing all of my menus and HUDs in Flash/ActionScript, but the game itself is in UDK.  With Flash going out of style, I think I'll be canceling my Flash Professional subscription when my game is done.  Then again, I might keep it around for the easy layout and tweening, then export it for HTML5 and JavaScript.  I hadn't heard about OpenFL though.  I'll have to look into it.
NathanielA
Level 0

Working hard to get Himeko Sutori ready

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 12:51:40 PM »

By the way, I saw this today.  Ouch.  http://www.wired.com/2015/07/adobe-flash-player-die/
Jordgubben
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 10:14:36 AM »

Quote from: Someone at Adobe
“Flash Player is one of the most ubiquitous and widely distributed pieces of software in the world, and as such, is a target of malicious hackers. We are actively working to improve Flash Player security, and as we did in this case, will work to quickly address issues when they are discovered.”

Someone at Adobe has this has a hotkey macro that pastes this text. It's what they have been saying every time for years. On the other hand I don't think I've heard of any actual cases where it could be proven that a security hole actually the flash player caused any damage. Opening unknown attached files in emails is still the most common cause of security breaches (at least for private individuals).

The only real sad part about the decline of Flash is the myriad of older games that will most likely never bee ported. Mozilla is trying to save them with their JavaScript based SWF-player Shumway. The preformance is not really there yet, but it's looking promising.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic