Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:35:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCockpit CompetitionActivate Casual-Games Drive!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Activate Casual-Games Drive!  (Read 3679 times)
vdgmprgrmr
Level 2

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2009, 11:54:36 PM »

You play a mech-suit pilot. Your mech-thingy is damaged in battle. The part that controls the fuel in the suit and sorts it and converts it into usable energy for the different parts of the suit had to revert to manual control by you, the pilot. Manual control is eerily similar to tetris and <random match-3 game>.

So you have your cockpit and you have two displays, one on each side. One display has the energy routing chamber (the tetris part) that has blocks of different colors (these are different fuels) and you must try to avoid the fuel-conversion chamber from overloading due to a hole between the fuel storage chamber and the fuel conversion chamber. When you get a full row at the bottom, the fuel transfers to the fuel activation chamber, where you must again try to avoid an overflow problem, as well as manually use the energy usage arm to convert the fuel's potential energy into kinetic energy for any one part of your suit, or to compress it in your so far undamaged energy storage unit.

So, in gameplay terms...

In the tetris display, you try to get rows. When a row fills up, it goes to the top of the match-3 display, and the individual blocks fall. In the M3 display, if you click on a cluster of blocks of the same color, you can either immediately use the energy, or you can add it to a little thing on the screen to charge it for later use. When you use a form of energy, the action that form of energy is used for becomes available. So, say, red energy is for firing, you have to get red blocks from the tetris to the M3 and then use it to fire a small burst, or you can charge it to fire a longer, sustained burst. If green energy is movement, you have to get green blocks from the tetris to the M3 and then either activate the green energy and be able to move around for a few seconds, or you can charge it up a bit so you can have a longer, sustained window for movement later. For shield energy, you'd have to do the process with blue blocks, and activate the blue blocks to get a few seconds of shielding, or you can save up your blue energy for a longer, sustained shield later. Or, with any energy, you can do a "charge release" and it gets rid of all the charged energy at once, for a huge super-laser, a short super-fast burst of speed, or a few seconds of invulnerability.

Now we just need to see if I can actually do this...

(And if it hasn't already been done before, however unlikely it may be?)
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 12:15:59 AM »

Wow, amazingly creative, taking a puzzle game approach! Something totally out of the blue, and it REALLY works!
haroldoop
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 04:04:19 AM »

I agree, it's a really creative approach (and probably the best background story ever seem for a Tetris clone  Tongue).
vdgmprgrmr
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 02:27:41 PM »

I shall now post a sort of framework for one of the possible cockpits.

This isn't set-in-stone, but so far it's the only one that I've transferred from paper to monitor (but the paper version had more curves). As for overall art quality, that's really as good as I can do. If someone wants to awesome it up for me, I would appreciate it.

Other than indulging myself in drawing (I really felt like using my relatively weak art skills lately, so I decided I would have some fun and drew up around ten alternative cockpits during class), I have movement, and shooting. Up next is a level system, then enemies, then my Tetris\M3 system, then I plan on making the full levels and requesting some help in the art department. (For levels I plan on just having a bunch of cubes with different textures. I need a dense forest area, an urban area, and a junkyard-looking area.) Then I'll add polish, like airstrikes and little people to run around below your feet that can be crushed. Fun fun.

And another. My friend pointed this one out from a page of four examples as his favorite.

Which is your favorite from these two?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 05:00:58 PM by vdgmprgrmr » Logged
Traveller
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 03:01:46 PM »

That sounds awesome!  (And while a very different genre, possibly very similar gameplay to my Star Crew.)  Looking forwards to seeing you pull it off!
vdgmprgrmr
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 08:35:27 PM »

I've made lots of progress today.

Which means, "I have a screenshot!"

I've decided to change the mech idea to a sort of, half-sphere low-altitude aircraft, partly because they're easier to draw, and... Well, almost entirely because they're easier to draw.

And sort of partly because I had the idea (when trying to think of something easier to draw) and thought (after thinking, "Damn, that would be easy to draw.") "Wow, I don't really see many low-altitude UFO-resembling aircraft, they're always way up in the sky. That could be cool..."

So far, I have levels, enemies that exist and can be be made nonexistent, and shooting, and some basic textures. Next, I need to make basic enemy AI (Done, now I have AI that's capable of chasing you around one corner (making one turn when they can't see you will lose them). After that, I'll start working on the energy fuel tetris system thingy. Saving the hardest part for last. I do think I'll have to make different tiles for Tetris, though. Instead of the classic tetrominoes, I'll probably have to go with:

Code:
X
XX

XX

XX
XX

X
 X
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 09:16:52 PM by vdgmprgrmr » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: