Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 04:05:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessHow to monetize a puzzle-adventure game?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How to monetize a puzzle-adventure game?  (Read 725 times)
RareSloth
Level 0

making apps and taking naps

View Profile WWW
« on: June 30, 2015, 11:20:32 AM »

We have a nicely polished puzzle-adventure game on the iOS store. Right now its a premium app but we're considering releasing a free version with ads or a lives system.
Death is relatively common in the game, so we could fire ads in between lives. I'm concerned this will be too annoying for players since this is a low-point in their experience (when they die). I don't want to make them leave the app forever.

A cosmetic system similar to crossy road is an option. However, if there's a premium version of the game how should those players get access to the cosmetic items?
Would love to get your input.

Here's a streamer playing our game so you can see how it feels:

Our mobile games: Yukon Warrior | Furdemption | King Rabbit
knifeySpoonie
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 08:34:13 AM »

Tough situation... Normally a F2P game is designed from the ground up with that in mind, you're going to struggle to fit in monitization after the game is already out and designed.

Personally I think theres a few ways you can go...

Do a free version with annoying adverts and have a single "turn off ads" in-app purchace.

Have lives that regenerate or can be bought.. only problem for you is that this looks a skill game not a game of chance.. Games like Canycrush trick you into feeling the game is fair when most of the time you have no chance of winning through skill. you'll fail.. then you'll fail but do ok, then you'll nearly pass the level, then after enough lost lives it knows your either a spender or not and evntually throws you a passable go. You can't do that.

Have ads that players can watch to gain somthing, but you might piss off premium players..

There are more ways but ultimatly im not sure how you'd gain anything from a F2P version... To make money on F2P you need millions of users, this is an already released game that you'll have to butcher to fit F2P mechanics too it. I'd do the first option I mentioned, do it as quickly and cheaply as possible and then move on to another game.

Founder and Creative Director |  KnifeySpoonie Games  |  Tpickarddev.com | @TPickardDev
PixelJunkie
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 10:54:47 PM »

Ever consider just simply having a donate button with a goal meter? Maybe use the donations as a way of crowdfunding your next game for free, or releasing extra levels.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic