Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 06:33:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPlant 19
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Plant 19  (Read 5162 times)
chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2015, 04:00:02 AM »

Hello TIG!

As some of you may be aware, my friend and I had attempted to participate in the #WAGchallenge game jam that occurred during this past month. However, we were we unable to complete the game to where we had hoped, nor were able to upload a submission at all. And while I had hoped that we would be able to continue working on the game for more experience, my friend is sadly unable to continue with the project and service his coding skills.

So, I have decided to continue with Plant 19, on my own. Of course, this means I will have to learn programming. And that in itself is going to be pretty cool :D

So today you and I shall embark on a journey; today begins the official development of Plant 19.

So, to start:
The biggest thing that I learned from the WAG experience is that I am unskilled when it comes to planning. So I am going to first lay out a list of large-scale goals, and then begin with the first one and create a smaller list of goals.

The big list achievements:
1. Learn GameMaker
2. Create a prototype game (unrelated to P19), like one from an online tutorial
3. Create a bigger game (slightly related to P19), but still only for a small taste of the real game development
4. Begin Plant 19 development

Now for my first goal: Learn GameMaker
1. Learn basic controls and tools
2. Create small animation app
3. Create a platformer with one screen and movement/goal

These three steps for the first goal are what this Devlog will be filled with first. However, alongside with posts of me learning programming, I will also (try to) post about the story of Plant 19. The characters, the setting, the history, the game's storyline and what I want the game to be about, and what I want the player to get from the game.
I want to document both my advancements in my coding skills, while simultaneously providing you guys with P19-based content.

Ok. I think that is the bare bones of an intro post. Good good.

Btw, if there are any questions/comments/"good lucks", then I'm all ears Smiley

Alright, have a good day, TIG, and we'll see each other real soon Smiley

chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 04:05:34 AM »

[holding for mockups/animations/videos]

Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 08:57:04 AM »

Good luck! Writing code and drawing art is pretty hard on your own, but that's what you gotta do.
There's plenty of tutorials on Youtube for Gamemaker Studio. Here's a link to a channel that does a lot of RPG and Platformer tutorials. Just to help you out.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn7FE3Tx391g1tWPv-1tv7Q]]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn7FE3Tx391g1tWPv-1tv7Q
Again, good luck!

Working on something new!
Follow me @CrabbyDev.
chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 05:17:35 PM »

Good luck! Writing code and drawing art is pretty hard on your own, but that's what you gotta do.
There's plenty of tutorials on Youtube for Gamemaker Studio. Here's a link to a channel that does a lot of RPG and Platformer tutorials. Just to help you out.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn7FE3Tx391g1tWPv-1tv7Q]]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn7FE3Tx391g1tWPv-1tv7Q
Again, good luck!
Ah thanks Crabby Smiley Yeah I've been watching Shaun for a while now.

Question, though: I can't seem to get GM:S (the free version) to launch after installing. I do want to buy the Professional version eventually, but I don't have the money right now.

Do you know of any common launch issues, and how to circumvent them?
(I have Googled for the answer, but can't seem to find it.)

Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 04:29:39 AM »

Sorry if I'm a bit late on this response, but for me the free version did have some quirks as I started it up, but just keep trying to open it and it will work. Just takes a few tries. But it's worth it.

Follow me @CrabbyDev.
chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 04:30:31 AM »

Alright. Here's a bit of an update.

The free version of GameMaker doesn't work on my computer for whatever reason, and I'm not gonna try anymore with it. But so I had thought that perhaps it might be worth it to just buy the professional version, even though it would mean spending some decent money.

However, I have yet to buy GameMaker (which was ~$90 for the summer sale), and unfortunately for me it turns out the sale was only up until the July 4th weekend. Meaning, now that that's over, it's no longer $90, but is instead back at its original $150.

This makes my decision to buy it much harder.

Early this morning I went to the YoYoGames site to finally buy GM:S after weighing my money scale, after spending time seeing if I would be ok with -$90, and I would have been, but lo and behold I am too late for the wonderful deal.

And now that it is back at $150, I have to seriously look at whether or not I can pursue this right now.

I think that if I do go and buy the program, then my hope is that after I create the simple first game for the quick experience, I hope it will be good enough that perhaps I could put it up for $1 on my itch.io page for you guys to download. It would be a great way for me to (slowly) get a return on investment, and it would be valuable if I could use it to get feedback on my game-making skills right off the bat.

I'm still not decided if the $150 is a safe investment for me right now, so I will sit on the decision for a little while longer.

Ok, that's all I really have to say for this "update." Sorry it's nothing exciting :/

Now commence this topic be buried through the Devlog pages, until next time...

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 04:37:01 AM »

Alright. Here's a bit of an update.

The free version of GameMaker doesn't work on my computer for whatever reason, and I'm not gonna try anymore with it. But so I had thought that perhaps it might be worth it to just buy the professional version, even though it would mean spending some decent money.

However, I have yet to buy GameMaker (which was ~$90 for the summer sale), and unfortunately for me it turns out the sale was only up until the July 4th weekend. Meaning, now that that's over, it's no longer $90, but is instead back at its original $150.

This makes my decision to buy it much harder.

Early this morning I went to the YoYoGames site to finally buy GM:S after weighing my money scale, after spending time seeing if I would be ok with -$90, and I would have been, but lo and behold I am too late for the wonderful deal.

And now that it is back at $150, I have to seriously look at whether or not I can pursue this right now.

I think that if I do go and buy the program, then my hope is that after I create the simple first game for the quick experience, I hope it will be good enough that perhaps I could put it up for $1 on my itch.io page for you guys to download. It would be a great way for me to (slowly) get a return on investment, and it would be valuable if I could use it to get feedback on my game-making skills right off the bat.

I'm still not decided if the $150 is a safe investment for me right now, so I will sit on the decision for a little while longer.

Ok, that's all I really have to say for this "update." Sorry it's nothing exciting :/

Now commence this topic be buried through the Devlog pages, until next time...
Does it have to be Game Maker? What about Stencyl? It's part of the new Game Dev Humble Bundle

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 05:48:03 AM »

Don't give up. Like Christian said, there are many other programs to develop games with. Stencyl, make your own engine, stuff like Construct 2, etc.
Just don't stop. Keep going with your idea.

Follow me @CrabbyDev.
del
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 06:14:17 AM »

It's always exciting to see more people jump into gamedev or stretch what they know! Good luck! Also, I've been using Construct 2 and am a big fan.

Four Realms. Action RPG. Platformer. Animals.
supermega_peter
Level 1

cool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 12:15:35 PM »

For what it's worth, I'll put forward Fusion 2.5 by Clickteam.

It's a fairly mature product that has some idiosyncrasies because it has been iterated on for ~20 years, but it's a solid 2D engine and I've never found anything that I can't do with it without a little thought.  It is quick to build things in and easy to learn the basics. What's more, you can download a (non-timed) trial version for free. I'd recommend at least giving it a go. It has a fairly different 'visual coding' method, which is actually super straight forward.

It's what I'm using to make SUPER MEGA BEST CAT ADVENTURES, and I am quite fond of it. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has used it and what they think.

chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 10:23:52 AM »

Does it have to be Game Maker? What about Stencyl? It's part of the new Game Dev Humble Bundle
Hmm. While it's a silly thing to say, the GUI really doesn't look appealing. Though for being free I really can't say anything bad by just looking at it on the website. I'll definitely keep this in mind, thank you Smiley

Don't give up. Like Christian said, there are many other programs to develop games with. Stencyl, make your own engine, stuff like Construct 2, etc.
Just don't stop. Keep going with your idea.
Don't worry, I'm not giving up. Just being open about the hurdle of choosing a program to base the game in. Free programs are great, of course, because they're free; but I know that if I pay for something then I'm setting myself up for greater success. In short, I don't think I want to waste time with Stencyl then have to learn a new program (even though I know it won't be that hard). But I'm not throwing anything off the table right now. Thanks too Smiley

It's always exciting to see more people jump into gamedev or stretch what they know! Good luck! Also, I've been using Construct 2 and am a big fan.
Ah thanks del! Appreciate the encouragement Smiley And C2, I'll look it up too, thanks for the suggestion Smiley

For what it's worth, I'll put forward Fusion 2.5 by Clickteam.

It's a fairly mature product that has some idiosyncrasies because it has been iterated on for ~20 years, but it's a solid 2D engine and I've never found anything that I can't do with it without a little thought.  It is quick to build things in and easy to learn the basics. What's more, you can download a (non-timed) trial version for free. I'd recommend at least giving it a go. It has a fairly different 'visual coding' method, which is actually super straight forward.

It's what I'm using to make SUPER MEGA BEST CAT ADVENTURES, and I am quite fond of it. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has used it and what they think.
Hmm, Fusion looks interesting. Free, again, is nice of course Tongue Some pretty cool games have been made from it, it seems. Thanks for the suggestion Smiley

supermega_peter
Level 1

cool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 12:54:47 PM »

It's worth noting that if you want to do anything good, you have to pay for it to turn off the limitations on how many 'events' (synonymous with lines of code/conditions) you can use.

I'd recommend trying whatever you can before you invest, as the small amount of time you spend now testing things out will mean that you can make a better long-term decision.

It sounds like you're pretty keen on GM though, so if you're sure just go for it! What are you waiting for! Wink

BlackOpzFX
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 02:24:17 PM »

GM:S Professional is on sale right now and for the weekend @ $77.99 - http://www.yoyogames.com/studio
chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2015, 09:51:39 PM »

GM:S Professional is on sale right now and for the weekend @ $77.99 - http://www.yoyogames.com/studio
Oh hell, that's better than the Summer Sale!! Alright, looks like I think I have my answer :DDD

Will report back here once it's gotten and I've made a little somethin'.

Thanks everyone so far for the support! ^_^

chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2015, 11:19:48 AM »

So the wonderful news: I have bought a Professional license key for $78, woo!

The bad news? GameMaker still won't f****** download! I've tried over a dozen times, all producing the same results after the Installation 'extracts', where a small window just glitches on and off, too fast for me to click it to close. God this is frustrating.

I got Construct 2 to download, so I'm not being inept with the computer. But I can't find someonw who's had this problem too, so I can't find a way to resolve the issue :/

Cakeprediction
Level 1

I'm not too sure what to put here

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2015, 12:46:58 PM »

Have you tried the using the helpdesk thingy at yoyogames?

Huge Swords and Tentacles Devlog
"If you were to write a story with me in the lead role, it would certainly be... a tragedy"
"You have to tell your hands to freaking do the stuff until your hands know it by their tiny hand hearts"
chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2015, 11:42:00 PM »

Have you tried the using the helpdesk thingy at yoyogames?
I glanced at it before when I couldn't get GM:S working, but I've done a thorough check tonight.

Am I downloading GM:S from the correct site? Yes (duh, but hey gotta start at square one).
I was downloading to my external HD before, though not entirely sure that was a 'problem'.
So I installed on the main computer instead, but the same issue popped up.
My (the (family)) computer, being kinda old, and being full of lovely little quirks, I thought perhaps installing from another user might help.
Nope, same thing a bunch more times.
I've checked the System Requirements from YoYo on the Help Desk, and everything is good on my end.

sigh, Just can't find what silly little thing is preventing me from getting it to launch.

I'm not gonna give up, it's gotta be something I've overlooked. At least I have the license key for when I do get it to work Smiley
Hopefully this is a worthy investment in time.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 11:47:55 PM by Chris Early » Logged

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2015, 01:06:05 AM »

I don't know about the disadvantages, but maybe you could test the steam version?
Cakeprediction
Level 1

I'm not too sure what to put here

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2015, 04:30:33 AM »

Hmmm, the last update doesn't work at my place either, so I'm one update behind or so. Don't know if it's specifically the new update's fault, because then there'd probs already be more complaints, but that could be it

Huge Swords and Tentacles Devlog
"If you were to write a story with me in the lead role, it would certainly be... a tragedy"
"You have to tell your hands to freaking do the stuff until your hands know it by their tiny hand hearts"
chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2015, 05:34:47 AM »

I don't know about the disadvantages, but maybe you could test the steam version?
I'll admit I am inept when it comes to Steam, don't use too often. So no, but thanks for the suggestion.

Hmmm, the last update doesn't work at my place either, so I'm one update behind or so. Don't know if it's specifically the new update's fault, because then there'd probs already be more complaints, but that could be it
Ah, well at least I don't feel so alone, even though I don't know if we're experiencing the same glitch.

I went and made a bug report at YoYo just now, so hopefully I'll hear back soon and I can finally get to making games Smiley

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic