Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:37:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesKing's Quest: The Complete Collection
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: King's Quest: The Complete Collection  (Read 1207 times)
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« on: July 01, 2015, 07:06:05 AM »

Noticed this one on Steam today, and I thought it looked sketchy as hell.
The "Complete Collection" despite the fact that it's all new games, not anything like what you might expect, a reboot, remake, or re-release of the old ones. No mention of Activision on the page, just Sierra as publisher and Odd Gentlemen as the devs. Forcing the game to go back to Graham... I'm not sure I could have been made more paranoid of a title, unless it was a movie tie in game.

I don't think any of that's particularly on the devs, just Sierra (Activision) in its marketing and game outline...

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
jiitype
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 07:19:35 AM »

Yeah they just released the first chapter of the new King's Quest and with the Complete Collection you'll buy the whole season. What's so sketchy?
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 07:43:38 AM »

no sketchy but misleading as one would think t meant like the whole kings quest series

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 01:46:36 PM »

yep this is the new kings quest reboot and the "complete edition" is basically a season pass
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 02:17:06 PM »

Definitely could have handled the naming better. Especially given the numerous existing King's Quest collections that have been on the market over the years. And it's kind of shooting themselves in the foot if they want to make a sequel to this "episodic" entry. What do you call it then, and do you have to go back and re-name the first "season" to the "not-so-complete-collection?"

Something more along the lines of "Volume 1," or "The First Tome" would have been more appropriate. But then, Activision hasn't been very good at marketing a lot of the legacy properties they have access to. Here's hoping that The Odd Gentlemen do a decent job with this re-imagining of King's Quest.
starsrift
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 08:31:07 PM »

To be clear, I think the game looks alright. If the trailers are accurate, it looks like a decent KQ game, and I've got nothing against Odd Gentlemen.

It just seems really weird to resurrect a brand name to publish under, hide connections to Activision (or are the boycotts of Activision now dead? so hard to keep up these days) and reuse old characters in a series that has a history of using new characters, and so on. It's like the sketchiest marketing attempt I've seen from a triple A, really weird, and it makes me think the game would be crap. Except I've not seen anything but good stuff from OG, and the fact that they're making it seems more promising than would otherwise appear.
Of course, now that OG are a subsidiary of Activision, I fully expect their products to decline, but that's Activision for you.

Maybe I'm just a hyper-cynical old fuck.

As is coding.

jiitype
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 05:58:07 AM »

The Odd Gentlemen is still independent, not subsidiary. Idk about hiding connections, it was Acti that announced that they're using the Sierra name for smaller more "indie" games and everyone knows who owns Sierra.
starsrift
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 09:02:57 AM »

The Odd Gentlemen is still independent, not subsidiary.

I could've swore I read something otherwise.
Well, all is better.  Beer!

As is coding.

Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 11:19:34 AM »

Yeah, I actually have a lot of faith in The Odd Gentlemen to produce something solid. And everything I've heard about it so far has been glowing, and sounds like a great direction to take the series in. Despite being a die-hard King's Quest fan, I will likely be pleased with the game that they eventually release. I simply agree that the choice of name for the bundle was poor.

It's also worth noting that if this entry goes over well, it's entirely possible for them to use the same framing device to re-invent all of the various stories in the original King's Quest series. Old Alexander recounting his exploits to the next generation works just as well as Old Graham. Ditto for Valanice and Rosella. (another female-centric entry in the series could actually do really well) I think a good idea for a sequel to the current series in production would be a re-telling of the second King's Quest game, but from the perspective of Valanice.
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 04:49:00 PM »

http://web.archive.org/web/20150704223505/http://ipgd.tumblr.com/post/123230861032/im-sure-that-everyone-has-noticed-by-now-that-the

Rumor is that they straight up used kickstarter funds from another game to make this.

I'd hold off on buying it.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 04:55:33 PM by Capntastic » Logged
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 06:46:15 PM »

I'd wondered what happened to that Homestuck kickstarter game.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic