Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 04:03:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)How to start arting?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How to start arting?  (Read 1352 times)
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« on: July 02, 2015, 04:28:05 AM »

I want to start drawing. So far I'm just sketching cartoons that I find on Google Images. I'm terrible at it. I know I'll get better as I put in more effort, but anyone have any tips for starters? I vaguely remember someone telling me once that tracing is bad and that it's better to start by trying to visualize and make your own representations. Eventually I want to use this art skill to have slightly better programmer art in my games.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Cinder
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 06:30:43 AM »

I'm meh to okay at art cuz I used to draw a lot when I was younger but have just gotten back into it. If you're making 2D games, you're prolly on the right track just drawing as much as possible, but if you're going to make 3D games image editing is far more important.

Regardless through, I'd recommend getting a drawing tablet and photoshop so that you can start making digital art and getting used to that. They're usually about $100+ but it gets you in a workflow that has damn good results and is near game ready.

digsource
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 10:50:11 AM »

I want to start drawing. So far I'm just sketching cartoons that I find on Google Images. I'm terrible at it. I know I'll get better as I put in more effort, but anyone have any tips for starters? I vaguely remember someone telling me once that tracing is bad and that it's better to start by trying to visualize and make your own representations. Eventually I want to use this art skill to have slightly better programmer art in my games.

This might sound silly but I think the first step is finding Pen/Pencil + Paper interface that you find comfortable.
I personally CANNOT STAND the rough texture of standard drawing books in bookshops.

I draw my sprites on using a standard Ball point pen on Yellow College paper and use those as guides in Inkscape / Photoshop.
cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 11:07:31 AM »

just do it

Muffinhat
Level 0

COVERED IN BEES HELP

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 11:10:45 AM »

Here are some basic tips:

1. Draw every day. Even if it's just a small sketch, find something to draw every single day. This will slowly but surely get you more into the art zone, so to speak. I would suggest keeping a personal sketchbook on you at all times

2. Start with practicing basic shapes. By this, I mean to start drawing everything in perspective: cubes, cylinders, etc. If you look at even the most complicated drawings, you can pretty much break them down into simple 3D shapes if you look hard enough, which is why learning how to draw in 3D space is essential.

3. Learn basic shading. Value (or light and dark), helps give drawings depth, so knowing how to give a drawing value is pretty important. There are a near infinite amount of tutorials out there for different shading styles, but I'd start with learning cross hatching (shading using lines).

Hope this helps in any way. Good luck on your arting adventure!
CaLooch
Level 0

lost in thought...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 03:29:18 PM »

Starting with the fundamentals can be boring but its how you get better.  Perspective and form are usually good areas to start in.  Drawing things from real life is a good place to start.  Also, studying human anatomy is a must if you want to get better at drawing anything that resembles a person, animal, thing that has any sort of muscle structure. 

SpaceGoat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 07:38:28 PM »

Alrighty, Art Teacher here,

Tracing is a great way to learn in the beginning, copying things that you find inspirational is a great start and you get a sense of the style you want to get to, I usually start students off by getting them to copy a picture out of a selection.

draw, draw draw, even your crappiest work has a point, as it's what you are building from. Never be ashamed of it either.

Get some anatomy books, there is a book called drawing on the right side of the brain which has some great exercises to train you to critically think about what you are drawing.

Draw lightly as possible too, nothing worse than having to rub out something that needs adjustment and having a dark line ruing the paper.

I found Pintrest to be a great resource for little techniques on drawing, for example if you search, drawing nose tutorial, fantastic little info graphics pop up.

choose a cartoon/comic book style you like and try it out with basic shapes like cylinders and blocks, the simplified anatomy of cartoon/comics will help give you a sense of volume quickly too.

I hope that helps Beer!

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 12:31:35 AM »

I like sketching more than I like drawing comic characters, but shading is so difficult...  WTF

Thanks for the info everyone though!

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
PixelDensity
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 03:29:16 AM »

One of the most important ways I was taught before looking at reference images, was in fact was to have a object in front of you to draw.

This could be anything from a rock to a cup of glass, having something in a 3D space helps you define the object easier and then you can have more understanding of how to do it later on.

Also keep every sketch you do. It helps for progression and bad drawings you may of done 6 months prior can develop into a much better idea and drawn piece.

3D Artist.
SpaceGoat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 10:01:21 PM »

In trying to understand shading always look at your image as though it has geometry like a mesh and try to follow those lines and faces.
zilluss
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 11:51:24 PM »

If you're an absolute beginner I can recommend the book "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain". It helped me greatly to improve my drawing skills (which were previously non existent). Also recommended: Teaching to See

@zilluss | Devlog  Hand Point Right
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 06:07:18 PM »

I remember that long ago when I first started drawing the very first lesson I got was from my grandfather. basically he asked me why my drawing of a man didn't have a body. So the very first lesson I learned about drawing was to observe and try to replicate reality. Of course, when you're good at that, you can start being creative about things and mix'em up!

Alrighty, Art Teacher here ,
[...]
I found Pintrest to be a great resource for little techniques on drawing, for example if you search, drawing nose tutorial, fantastic little info graphics pop up.
[...]
I just want to mention that you're not the only teacher I know who likes Pinterest Smiley

Artylo
Level 0

I'm just a voice, pal - a most talented failure, b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 10:34:16 AM »

My way may not be the easiest, nor the correct one for you, but I personally looked at some artists who have similar art-styles (ex. Edmund McMillen, Dom2D, Vine, ect.)
I then try to analyse their techniques and visual language, looking at how they do lines, colour, shading, ect.
Finally try to compile all that information,reproducing it in my own way/style.
Drawing with a pen/pencil on paper is probably the easiest way to get a rough draft of your idea, but tablets have better control of shape dynamics compared to some traditional methods.
Also drawing multiple variations of the same thing may lead to better results. Do not accept your first design as final, except if you're really sure you've hit the goldmine.
Hope this helps!

- Artylo
AdamRB
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2015, 02:00:46 PM »

If your aim is better programmer art, then you can get away with very basic design and animation principles.

What I can suggest studying is basics of Graphic Design, as that'll help you decide on appealing color schemes, uniform and complimenting shapes and patterns, and strong composition. Basic drawing principles like Perspective are very useful, as well as Animation concepts like squash and stretch (to give animations weight and energy).

Then just practice, everyday, one or more of those. In time, you'll find yourself thinking about them naturally more and more.

Other things to practice for basic drawing; draw circles using the motion of your arm instead of your wrist. This wont help you design better visuals, but it'll help you draw better circles and straight lines.
siskavard
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2015, 05:08:42 PM »

depends on what kind of art you want to do, there are certain exercises you can do that will help specific skills level up. For example if you want to do fine art, then I would say do life drawing every day. If you want to be an animator, then go through every frame of animation from your favorite cartoons and copy them. If you want to be a comic artist, copy your favorite art until you can draw on your own.

..but overall you just have to draw stuff constantly, no matter what specific kind of art you want to do.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic