Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 07:33:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignMidnight masterpieces.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Midnight masterpieces.  (Read 1453 times)
SpaceGoat
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 03, 2015, 03:47:13 AM »

Who here has, as sleep sets in say, 12 or 1 in the morning has the best and greatest idea for a game only to lose it through the night?
Who writes it down or wakes up to write lengthy treatises on their idea? 
DanglinBob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 03:15:08 PM »

All my best ideas come to me while I am in the shower. True story.

Apparently this is not unusual (the shower or as you are falling asleep). Our brain uses certain downtime routines to clear, process, and organize data. Basically when you're working or living your life your brain is busy dealing with all the things in front of you. It doesn't have time to simply wander into the fertile soil of creativity. When we're doing routine actions our brain doesnt have to dedicate any resources to them and instead gets busy being creative without us even telling it to. There was a segment about it on either TED or RadioLab, I forget which Smiley
Jordgubben
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 02:02:45 AM »

Quote from: Day Job Colleague
Anyone who has taken a shower has had at least one good idea.

SpaceGoat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 03:23:55 AM »

Quote from: Day Job Colleague
Anyone who has taken a shower has had at least one good idea.

This is the quote of the year. 
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 06:16:42 PM »

Anyone with insomnia as well. Or any kind of situation where you're left alone with your thoughts. Spooky.

Mark Mayers
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 09:23:19 AM »

Who here has, as sleep sets in say, 12 or 1 in the morning has the best and greatest idea for a game only to lose it through the night?

Story of my life.

I actually take most of my game design ideas from my dreams, hahahaha.

Desolus Twitter: @DesolusDev Website: http://www.desolus.com DevLog: On TIG!
DXimenes
Level 0

writer, pixel artist, game designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 02:05:11 PM »

The creative center of your brain is inhibited by stress, which for most adults is a reality during most of the day.
Then when you relax - taking a shower, being alone at home late at night or even in the bathroom - it is stimulated again and you get great ideas.

I often go to sleep at 3~5 a.m., so yeah, I know the feeling all too well.
Jordgubben
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 12:42:27 AM »

The creative center of your brain is inhibited by stress,  ...

Does the creative center have a cool latin name? Just curious, is there really a special part of the brain that handles this?

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 07:59:30 PM »

The best shit comes in the middle of the night, because it's not cluttered with obnoxious everyone-elses.

DXimenes
Level 0

writer, pixel artist, game designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 11:10:17 PM »

Does the creative center have a cool latin name? Just curious, is there really a special part of the brain that handles this?
Shit, you got me there. I don't know if there is a specific part that handles creativity.
But what I meant was that stress and anxiety trigger "fight or flight" reactions in your brain. This inhibits lateral thinking and experimentation because it's in the "get me the fuck out of this situation fast" mode.
Orymus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 08:57:08 AM »

For the past 10 years, I've been sleeping next to my notebook just in case. At one point, I used to wake up at night only to record melodies for song ideas (and it paid off) but lately these are text-based.

Body craves for "stops" but I also get decent results with shower and simply going out to run a few laps.
hmm
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2015, 03:52:12 AM »

Most of the brain is involved in the creative process, since it is a process that requires making connections between unrelated ideas. The theory is that in more relaxed states of mind, when the brain is not focussed on a specific task, it is more free to make these associations.

So, there's some science behind the idea that you're more creative when sleepy.

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2015, 04:46:06 AM »

Happens to me but with music, which is probably why I'll never get to compose anything: by the time I can get around sequencing it I will have forgotten what I was thinking on =P (and if not, then I'll forget it while I'm fighting trying to get the right instruments)
Jordgubben
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2015, 02:23:36 AM »

Most of the brain is involved in the creative process, since it is a process that requires making connections between unrelated ideas. The theory is that in more relaxed states of mind, when the brain is not focussed on a specific task, it is more free to make these associations.

So basically the way to intentionally solve a creativity oriented problem is to intentionally not try to solve the problem.

Screamy No No NO Crazy  Who, Me?  Waaagh! Concerned Epileptic

hmm
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2015, 12:02:13 PM »

@Jordgubben unfortunately, yes. There is a lot of anecdotal evidence of people solving tough technical or creative problems in their sleep. Hence the phrase "sleep on it" or the common advice of taking a walk when something stumps you.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic