Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411484 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 03:25:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesGame Club: Crusader of Centy
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Game Club: Crusader of Centy  (Read 1114 times)
Dragonmaw
« on: July 03, 2015, 08:43:18 AM »

Y'all ready for a new game? Because it's that time!

Crusader of Centy is a Zelda-like game for the Sega Genesis that turns some aspects of Zelda on their head. That's about all I really can say about it, as I don't want to spoil it at all! Play it on the original console, download a ROM, whatever. No downloads or links will be given out through this thread.

Discuss all your findings and thoughts in this thread! Please put spoilers behind glow tags, like so. The tag is below, if you need a copy-paste for it.

Code:
[glow=black,2,300][/glow]
MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 05:08:40 PM »

I regret not picking up a copy of this when I saw it for like 30 :<

I regret a lot of things though and that's a pretty minor regret.

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 05:19:52 PM »

I regret buying this instead of Alien Soldier back in the day so it took me eleven years before I started to appreciate it but by then I had access to other games of this type that I liked more. So I guess I had a pretty minor regret too.
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 04:21:19 AM »

So, Crusader of Centy!

For those of you who haven't started it yet, there's actually two different English translations: the US on and the European one.  The US version, Crusader of Centy, does have some awkwardness to its localization, including a few times where a line of conversation goes by without a pause, or an instance or two where you're given a "yes/no" prompt to an open-ended question.  The European version, Soliel, I think is a better localization on the whole, except that most characters' names are more boring.  Even so, there's a point where both versions kinda awkwardly lapse into narration...
But it shouldn't matter too much which version you play.  It's the same game either way, but if the cheesy localization is part of the charm, then Crusader of Centy will do the trick.

Anyway, I really love this game.  I feel like it should have been a part of my childhood, but I don't think I'd ever even heard of it while the Genesis was a thing.  So please don't mind me pointing out little things about the game that I adore.

Like...

I love the little pointless things you can interact with.  You can hide inside things like holes or bushes or toilets, but there's never really any reason to do so.  And if you jump up and down on a chair too many times, the thing breaks and you get hurt.

I love how the game starts with this guy...

...a typical manly, sword-toting video game hero, who receives a legendary sword from the king and embarks on a quest.  And that the game has nothing to do with him.

And I love the music.  The song from the Rafflesia Training Grounds is one of my favorites to play on the piano.

...And more to come, but since nobody's really started yet, I don't want to spoil things.  It's a fairly short game, in any case.  You could probably play through it in a couple sittings.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 06:25:18 AM »

i like how ur healthbar is apples instead of hearts
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 06:32:53 AM »

I will get playing this game later today. I post this as a reminder to myself

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 09:44:34 PM »

I got a bronze medal, but I cant seem to be able to progress any further. I cant find a way to get the jump ability. HALP

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 11:26:20 PM »

Hmm nevermind, while it was a bit obscure, I figured it out and now I got a silver medal, saved a penguin and I asm headed to a volcano land. I really must commend on the level designers, as each new level really gets to explore your newly acquired skill in new ways to interact with the world, and each level seems to introduce a given gimmick that is implemented around your current skillset and obstacles so elegantly.

It is sad to see that the two boss fights I have had are really lame tho.

Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 12:55:48 AM »

Thinking back, the boss fights were one of the weaker aspects of the game.  There were only one or two bosses that felt truly challenging, and several bosses just ended up being bizarre.
MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 01:11:15 AM »

why is that a dead dog

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic