Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411498 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 08:05:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsColosseum Fighter
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Colosseum Fighter  (Read 5260 times)
pixel-boy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 03, 2015, 03:03:25 PM »

Watch preview :

Hello !
I've started Colosseum Fighter over 1 year ago now and I think it's time to post on TIG  Toast Left, forgive my English, I'm a french guy.

I use GameMaker studio, make code, art, and music, but my brother also takes part in art and he makes all character illustrations for the stage mode ( something like 100+ really cool character illustrations )
It's our first serious game project, and we work during our free time, hope you'll like it and will have fun !

THE GAME

Colosseum Fighter is a nervous 1- 4 Player brawler with blood, sand and gladiators ( like any other gladiator games ), it also has a stage mode with waves, playable in cooperation at 1-2 players
You can customize your fighter with haircuts, faces, weapons and skin colors, most of the weapons have specific stats, speed, range, damage and some have special effect ( boomerang, ice staff, etc. ), you can create a big variety of characters, and they will be saved for the next time you play

Gameplay

The game is playable with keyboard or gamepad ( I've just be able to test with xbox 360 gamepads ) you can move, jump, crouch, attack, roll, and launch your weapon and shield. You can easily change your weapon during fight, the shield protects you if you don't move and you can throw a kick in the air, health is represented by hearts ( you can grab meat or a burger to regain health ) and shield icons ( tunic, helmet, armor and shield give 1 armor point )

Versus mode

This mode is especially for multiplayer, play with your friends, family, dog and more, but you can also play against an AI with different levels of difficulty, spectators launch items into the arena to help (sometime kill) you, some special events can take place, like a spectator joining the fight, tigers or arrow rain, the goal is to take all lives of the other players/teams and have the best score

Stage mode

In this mode you must overcome all waves, you can play with a friend, but it's also fun and challenging on your own, and it's the only way to unlock all customization elements (haircuts, faces, weapons, etc.), the difficulty increases gradually and peaks with the final boss
The 6 best highscores are saved, you can try to unlock all elements of the game and make the best time in this mode

Release

The game will probably be releasing before the end of the year for Windows, and surely Mac and Linux, demo coming in the next days.
The next months I'll work to finish the stage mode, all waves, final boss and ending and some other details and after that, we will really near the release

Thank you for your attention ! I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have Smiley

SCREENSHOTS

« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 04:28:51 PM by pixel-boy » Logged

Pezomi
Level 0

swag swag swag

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 05:00:06 PM »

Looks amazing! I've been following you on twitter and really excited to see you here on Tig!

My questions for you are:
  • Is if there are any plans for an online mode?
  • Are you shooting for a full release on say, steam? and if so have you thought about a price-point?
  • Continued support? Once it's released do you plan on bringing updates to it?
  • Did you ever think of making it in SuperPowers? It'd be a really cool 'benchmark' of the engine.

I'm super excited to get my hands on the game! Great job on the English btw, I didn't spot any errors.

Welcome to TIG!  Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

pixel-boy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 04:21:01 AM »

Glad to hear! And thanks for your questions

My first goal is to release the game on itchio, for a reasonable price, I have not decided yet, but something like 6$ look great for me, and yeah, try to publish my game on steam with greenlight seems also a good idea.

For the moment, game updates is not planned ( just bug fix if it's necessary), if someday, the game has a community and a form of success, maybe make sense to release an extension with more content, but I've also lot of others game projects and maybe it would be better to start something new with more solid foundation.

It starts to be hard to add new features on the game without changing lot of things, online mode looks really, really hard to add for this reason, I fear it will take a long time for a bad result, also because I have no idea to how make this on game maker, I've no experience with online features.

Superpowers didn't exist, when I've started to work on Colosseum, and I was using game maker for a long time now, changing tool is always hard, also superpowers is young, but when I will have released the game I'd like to take time to pass at superpowers and probably stop using game maker

and remake all the game in superpowers ? Looks like a waste of time I prefer start something new on superpowers

I hope this answers your questions and thanks for your interest Smiley
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 05:50:46 AM by pixel-boy » Logged

falafel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 05:53:07 AM »

This looks fantastic! I absolutely love the audience participation and there's a lot that you could do with that. Perhaps they could all start counting down from 5 before the tiger is released to build anticipation. My favourite part is when the tiger explodes into drumsticks. It was one of those genuinely inspired moments in a game that made me laugh out loud.

I can't fault the graphics. Those colours are lovely and there's a good sense of impact to everything. Just one thing stood out to me that could possibly be improved: player health being represented by a row of hearts is okay, but when players are close together it becomes confusing when the information overlaps. It makes me wonder if there could be a better way to display health bars - perhaps, below the players' shadows where there's a lot more uncluttered space and/or displaying it as a circular/pie icon, or simply as a number?

jmakegames
Level 1

Jordan @ j make

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 10:20:22 PM »

Looks absolutely awesome! I'm digging everything about the aesthetic.

Just a question: your movement looks so fluid and tight, I'm curious to know what method you've used? Are you controlling your own x/y player coordinates directly or are you using physics? I've been looking into using physics for my games and I feel like if I could achieve movement half as tight as yours it'd be totally worth pursuing!

Keep up the amazing work!

Jordan @ j make

TWITTER | BLOG
SunWuKong
Level 5

Help me, help you.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 11:43:46 AM »

This game is so freaking charming! Saw an update on Twitter and came right over here.

Love the art and the look you have. Game looks fun too. The best part is it really looks like YOU enjoy what you are creating.

Well done and best of luck.

-Tim

Modog
Level 0

Rogue Knight Mage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 12:14:16 PM »

GIVE DEMO PLEASE!!!

Finding what I can do better
Flabby__Fabby
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 06:59:58 AM »

Looks amazing... Following!
Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 09:55:41 AM »

This looks like SO MUCH FUN, AHMAGAWRSH!

Is online multi-player a possibility? I feel like this would up the value tremendously! It already looks fan-freakin'-tastic.

WladM
Level 0

Film & Game Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 04:06:42 PM »

This looks like a lot of fun! Can't wait for the demo!

Dave_C
Level 0

Retrophile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 08:03:39 PM »

this looks epic - I love the pixel art, all the characters seem like they have real weight to them.. good luck!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic