Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 05:36:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeAdvantages/Disadvantages of Retro-Style Games
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Advantages/Disadvantages of Retro-Style Games  (Read 5072 times)
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2015, 03:42:44 PM »

PNG allows alpha values in the palette colors, actually (all of Sol's graphics are paletted, and a few of them have translucency). You'd still need a significantly high amount of colors for it to work, though (this is probably the one situation where a palette with more than 256 colors would be useful).

Sol's graphics are paletted only so I could keep around the palette for editing the pics, for the record. They just get converted to ARGB the moment they're loaded in RAM in the game.

(Also first SRB2, then Retro, now here- we always wind up in the same place somehow!)
roflmao =P
Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2015, 05:44:51 PM »

The big con here is that pixel art
Thought I'd point out that was a very interesting read. Thanks for sharing.
FNKVSSL
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2015, 08:30:47 PM »

PNG allows alpha values in the palette colors, actually (all of Sol's graphics are paletted, and a few of them have translucency). You'd still need a significantly high amount of colors for it to work, though (this is probably the one situation where a palette with more than 256 colors would be useful).
Full disclosure: Whenever you see me evangelizing color cycling, I'm really just humoring my pipe dream that some intrepid coder might come along and develop Rich Franzen's PNG-16 for me so I can have the fidelity of true color with the flexibility of palettized graphics. 65,536 colors with interpolation, color cycling with alpha, cycling colors as they're being cycled- I'd use all of that! I'd be the only one though

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2015, 05:18:34 PM »

From that link:
Note that the colors used for cycling come from the entire palette of 65536 colors, even allowing, crazy fool that I am, color cycling of color-cycled colors!

Amusingly one of Sega's arcades did exactly that... (palette to a palette)
FNKVSSL
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2015, 08:17:18 AM »

Ooh, which one?

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2015, 07:16:58 PM »

I don't remember ¯\(º_o)/¯ I recall the main advantage of such a setup is that you could apply palette rotation on some sprites without having to do it for all of them, but of course you could take it to the other extreme of doing double color cycling, or doing color cycling that isn't in sync, or really just arbitrarily rearranging the order of palette colors in general.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic