Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:14:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingWord Climber - unique new word puzzle
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Word Climber - unique new word puzzle  (Read 1014 times)
lobosan
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 05, 2015, 07:51:45 PM »

We just released the first early version of Word Climber. Word Climber is a unique word puzzle game that’s designed to be both challenging and fun. Think of it as a cross between a word puzzle and an infinate climber with a touch of Flappy Bird rolled into one. Except Word Climber isn’t actually infinate in that the towers that you climb actually have a top but most will never actually make it there. The fun is in trying to get as high up as possible.

There are multiple towers to chose from. Most of which you will need to earn gold to unlock. Certain towers feature foreign languages such as Japanese, Tagalog, Spanish among others.
Please check the game out and provide feedback. The Leaderboards are not enabled at the moment but we’ll do so in a couple of weeks.

Gameplay Video

Screens

Features Multiple Languages

Mutiple towers to choose from

Unlockable Characters

« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 09:53:22 PM by lobosan » Logged
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 08:24:58 PM »

Maybe I'm just missing the link somehow, but...where do we go to play it?

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
lobosan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 08:33:00 PM »

Quicksand-S,

Yeah, I really don't like the new GameJolt design. The Play button really needs to be placed at the top and it should really be more prominent. The play button is right above the game description under the "Releases" heading. You actually have to scroll down.
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 10:47:27 PM »

What I mean is that I don't see any links in your post other than the YouTube one. What's the URL of your GameJolt page?

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
lobosan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 11:16:04 PM »

Sorry about that, I forgot to add the link. I've added it now.
lobosan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 01:06:53 PM »

A new release is out for Word Climber. This release changes a few of gameplay aspects:

- You will no longer lose all of your acquired coins if you don't make it to the next floor before the timer runs out
  - You will now get a bonus for completing a floor before the timer expires. The bonus doubles the coins acquired in the floor.
  - Because it's now much easier to accumulate gold, the amount of gold required to Unlock a tower has been increased
  - The words now shuffle each time you enter the tower.

Aside from the gameplay changes, Gold and Coin synching has been introduced for logged in GameJolt users. This will allow you to continue to accumulate coins and gold should you need to use different computers.

Check out the new changes at: http://gamejolt.com/games/word-climber/77812
lobosan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 02:19:06 PM »

Version 0.5.8 of Word Climber is out. This release features a new Item Store. The Item Store allows you to purchase power ups with the coins that you earn while playing the game. Checkout this neat new feature at:

http://gamejolt.com/dashboard/games/77812
lobosan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 09:55:20 PM »

I've released version 0.5.9. This release features greatly improved graphics and unlockable characters.

Meet Doigy, Poigy and Froigy

Check out the new changes at: http://gamejolt.com/games/word-climber/77812
moomat
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 11:04:57 AM »

Kind of a cool concept; kept my attention for a bit Smiley

I believe I sort of see your reasoning behind doing so, but it seems odd to have a rote sequence of words on the levels. If I were you I'd consider (or reconsider, if you already have) randomizing at least the order of the words presented.

I also found the squishing animation of the character a little annoying after a while. He is cute though Smiley

I didn't play for a truly extended period of time, yet I should mention that some of the UI elements aren't entirely clear in terms of what they apply to, namely the various counters (like the coins and stuff?) Perhaps they are advanced features that I just hadn't played long enough to figure out. Some hover tool tips or something would be useful for mitigating the mystery a bit, perhaps.

Check out Junk E.T. at junketgame.com

lobosan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 11:47:48 AM »

Hi moomat. Thanks for the feedback. The word sequence changes randomly on tower entry. So each time you exit and enter the tower you will have a different sequence of words. The goal of the game is to try to correct as many misspelled words as you can without making a single mistake. So memorization is crucial and the word sequence staying the same is important for memorization. The game is intended to be a fun way to learn new vocabulary whether it be a foreign word or a technical term. Each tower will have it's own theme.

The squishing animation is just a placeholder. It'll be improved before release.

As for the coins and gold. You'll need to play a little longer to see what they're for. When you have 100 coins or more, an item shop pops up after you press the play button. The item shop allows you to buy Luck and Time power ups which will allow you to better accumulate more coins. 1000 coins gets you 1 gold. Gold allows you to unlock other towers and other characters.

Lastly, in regards to tooltips, check out Practice Mode. The character will give you hints as you move up the tower. The hints may get annoying after while so you can turn them off through the Settings button on the top right of the screen. The best way to play Word Climber is to play in practice mode until you've memorized enough words. Practice mode allows you 10 mistakes. Then go back to Standard Mode and see how high you can get up to without making a single mistake.
moomat
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 05:11:42 PM »

Oh, I see. Yeah I figured I just needed to have gone a bit deeper in to understand.

If you get a chance, would you mind giving my game a spin?

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=49284.0

Check out Junk E.T. at junketgame.com

lobosan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 11:58:19 AM »

moomat, sure thing. Download now.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic