Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 06:43:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOmniBus - PS1 Style Unstoppable Bus -- Physics Game
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: OmniBus - PS1 Style Unstoppable Bus -- Physics Game  (Read 14633 times)
BuckarooBadri
Level 0

OmniBus Driver

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2015, 12:07:47 PM »

OmniBus is a wacky physics based game, made to look like a classic 3D PS1 title. The core of the game is that OmniBus is a unstoppable force of nature, that cant stop or slowdown. The only way to lose is to flip over or fall off the map. (With some additional losing conditions in mission mode.)

The game has a story mode that features a bunch of weird missions. Like robbing a bank!

We also have some other bus types in the mission mode!

Take people on a tour without spilling!

Survive a rooftop demolition derby!

We also have a trick mode!

Currently our team consists of only two people. The game started as a fun little independent project, but after some guidance from a professor at DePaul University we decided to really crack down and make a full-fledged indie game. We're hoping to do weekly updates on here.

Our current goals:
[Local Multiplayer]
[More Levels]
[Over World Maps]
[More Bus Types]
[Greater Art Pass]

twitter.com/OmniBusGame
facebook.com/OmniBusGame
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 01:31:02 PM by BuckarooBadri » Logged
BuckarooBadri
Level 0

OmniBus Driver

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 01:55:20 PM »

Working a little bit more on our multiplayer mode. Heres a peek of two player demolition derby. We added little cue arrows above each players head to make them more visible from farther away. The only way to lose is to be knocked out of the arena or by getting flipped over.

We also got all our over-world assets wired together for the story mode!
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 02:09:50 PM »

Seems just the right amount of crazy and awesome! Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Right

Yeah.
jiitype
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 02:40:47 PM »

YES. The game looks fun and I love the PS1 look. Keep it up!
Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 05:20:07 PM »

Recently I've been hoping for more PS1-looking 3D games, so that's pretty cool. The map doesn't really look like the same style, though. It might fit better if you took the same textures and stuck them on pre-rendered boxes, or simple polygons.

Guildencrantz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 11:22:19 PM »

Gameplay seems like it'll be awesome fun, and I'm really digging the look too! The world needs more PS1 styled games for sure. Keep it up!
Cranktrain
Level 4

making gams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 05:22:10 AM »

The idea of an unstoppable bus in a world with physics simulation is a lovely one. I'm sure it's not going to be very difficult to come up with all sorts of absurd missions.

One thing I'd say though, is that the graphics don't actually remind me of the PS1. Because the land is just a flat plane, and most of the buildings are just cubes, it reminds me far more of a lot of these Minecraft-graphics-style games, many of which don't look great, in my opinion. I can see where you're going with the style, the texture of the bus itself looks quite good, but then the ground texture and the brick texture all looks a bit grey, brown and repetitive, stretched over the large flat surfaces. I'm assuming it's still early days in that department though.

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 05:43:34 AM »

This looks really brilliant, reminds me so much of burnout revenge's crash mode. Good good good

BuddyCrockett
Level 0

OmniBus driver

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 09:34:23 AM »

Howdy, I'm the programmer and only other person working on OmniBus! Boy I wouldn't have expected PC Gamer to already write about us - we've still got a ways to go!

Anyway we realize that saying PS1-style is more of a commitment than an excuse for cruddy graphics. It was a meaningful choice to us because we both are primarily sprite artists and having two people make a 3D game is challenging if you want detailed, pretty models. We turned to the lovingly hand-crafted look of Mega Man Legends for inspiration and it's our goal to more closely resemble it. We've got a long way to go yet, and the ground textures and underdressed environments are certainly on our to-do list to clean up and make nicer.

As far as the overworld map, we just needed to make a nice looking placeholder to test the functionality. I'd like to have it look more like Mario Party maps, with an outdated-looking 3d render is in the background and low-poly models and sprites are put over it, unless people really like the completely-sprites map more.

And finally here's a gif showing the vertex jitter shader I made to try to replicate that effect the PS1 has:
Captain Uzi
Level 0

I once ate an air...Once.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 09:56:12 AM »

Oh man this is super cool. I'll definitely be following your dev logs, hope to be able to play this one day.
BuddyCrockett
Level 0

OmniBus driver

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2015, 09:12:36 PM »

Thought I'd preview world 1 a little, which is being made after world 2. The design going into it is more tutorial-oriented but we thought instead of forcing people to deal with some boring tutorial, they can learn through playing some easier levels that only introduce a few important concepts at a time. It's a lot shorter as well, but it will feature many secrets.

There's still a lot of environmental art to create for the sky world yet - we're hoping to make it look fully distinct from the city.

This level has you crashing through a bunch of OmniBucks. I tried emulating the look of jiggies and other reflective objects of the era using a low-res cubemap.

EmilMeiton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2015, 12:45:51 PM »

Looks realy nice! Smiley

You've probably read about it before but..., Affine texture mapping (or warping in this case) is something the ps1 did

Check out this unity shader example
http://burningnorth.com/unity/flashback94/

Just mentioning it because I'm quite fond of that "look" it gives. Smiley
hexdie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2015, 01:30:56 PM »

This looks very cool! I like the aesthetic a lot. You make a PS1 style game look good!

cvasquez
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2015, 11:55:44 PM »

Bumpin for my homies, this game is going to be sick  Coffee

Twitter: @3xchris
Eniimal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2015, 04:30:18 AM »

This game looks cool.

The destruction derby mode seems really fun.

Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2015, 11:48:43 AM »

Dumb game quit working on it

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2015, 12:42:30 PM »

Woah I for one would love to see this in a finished state.

BuddyCrockett
Level 0

OmniBus driver

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2015, 07:17:33 PM »

See ya in August, buddy Wink

You've probably read about it before but..., Affine texture mapping (or warping in this case) is something the ps1 did
Just mentioning it because I'm quite fond of that "look" it gives. Smiley

I didn't get around to coding in the affine texture mapping yet but I did want it there. The only reservation I have is how it sometimes looks a little too gnarly, especially on large tris.
GrahamOfLegend
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2015, 08:43:03 AM »

Holy crap this looks so authentic! Definitely could be on a ps1 without a doubt! looks fun too haha

BuddyCrockett
Level 0

OmniBus driver

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2015, 02:33:34 PM »

We're still pumping out more OmniBus, but we've been pretty busy with a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff! Sorry for being quiet lately.

Here's a taste of a new level though:

« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 02:41:06 PM by BuddyCrockett » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic