Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 08:19:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGameshitting things vs. shooting things
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: hitting things vs. shooting things  (Read 1079 times)
DJFloppyFish
« on: July 11, 2015, 11:52:57 AM »

I was looking at my ps4 games today and I noticed that all my games involved either hitting things with fists or hitting things with things. I didn't have a single game purely about shooting stuff.

My favorite shooty game right now is Nuclear Throne on PC, but I suspect a lot of my enjoyment in that title comes from the ability to dodge projectiles. With Fish, I can do so by rolling, which gives me a similar thrill to dark souls dodging.

At this rate, I think I'm still partial to melee games. The tactics behind succeeding in melee games appeal to me more. Looking for openings, waiting for your opponent to overextend themselves, etc. All these things are more apparent to me than the chaos of a competitive or even PvE shooter, and I enjoy the experience of it all more because of that. I never liked FPSes simply being a test of shooting first, and I always thought they could be more. But can they really? Do you think there is room for a methodical shooter? Or have we already reached it?

Regarding the two types of combat I mentioned, do you find yourself preferring one over the other? Why?

I realize I'm being a little bit nebulous, but understand that I'm talking about the current state of games. The way you dispatch enemies in games shouldn't necessarily dictate what kind of systems are in place (like parrying, why don't we parry bullets?), but given the current landscape of games, it seems that people have definitely fallen into keeping certain mechanics tied to certain types of games. I want to talk about both why that is the case, and why maybe we end up preferring melee or ranged combat. Hopefully this isn't just a dumb topic. :|     
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 01:01:00 PM »

Regarding the fps side and dodging. I think it was reached with S4 league and the idea could be more exploited.
I spent a long time playing this game and couldn't find the same fun anywhere else.

Unfortunately it was a f2p (p2w) , but the gameplay was solid. (spent 150$ in this game in a year >_<)

It's the only fps (well tps here) i played with no test of shooting first , no 1hit kill in this game.

I think a slight + preference for ranged combat mostly because there is more games with solid gameplay.
(i'm waiting for Enter the Gungeon, got a bit sick of playing Nuclear throne all over again)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 04:42:56 PM »

Do you think there is room for a methodical shooter? Or have we already reached it?

resident evil 4
JWK5
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 06:03:07 AM »

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 06:40:35 AM »

I've always preferred shooting things.
Preferably as a surprise.
From a long way away.
With a scope.

I've dedicated much time in games to just finding that sweet spot where you're close enough that the enemies don't pop out of view distance but far enough that their alert or alarm AI routines won't trigger or screw up as they instantly give you up as 'target lost'.

Smacking things is so messy and takes hardly any skill to aim. Blech, I hate blood spatter "effects" on my HUD.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 06:48:44 AM »

What about a game where it simulated blood splatter effects on the enemy huds and you would see them flailing around at the air trying to get it off in combat

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 07:00:02 AM »

What about a game where it simulated blood splatter effects on the enemy huds and you would see them flailing around at the air trying to get it off in combat
i'd love to see that kinda satire

it's the stupidest effect ever

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 10:02:57 AM »

Mario Kart.

DJFloppyFish
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 11:00:14 AM »

Playing rocket league, I'm finding myself wanting more car-infused mashups. Maybe that is the secret after all. Add cars to things.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2015, 12:43:10 PM »

It's a known problem: hitscan fps (call of dooty aka click to kill) vs projectile shooter (doom aka dodge that bullet)
Destiny is big because pve have hitscan player vs projectile enemy

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic