Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:07:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignTurn Based Game [Help needed with mechanics]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Turn Based Game [Help needed with mechanics]  (Read 987 times)
Royal Den Studios
Level 0

Hello

View Profile WWW
« on: July 11, 2015, 08:55:28 PM »

Hello. I making a RPG game with turn based combat and having trouble with some mechanics. I'm not sure of the over world aspect of the game should be platformer or top-down. I'm doing this in game maker and not using the 3D. (Platformer like child of light or top down like final fantasy or bravely default.) if I do platformer it would be easier on the graphics side by harder on the design side. Then if I do top down it would be the other way around. And if I do top down in not sure if I should have enemies walking around or if should just be a random encounter. I'm thinking of a chroma squad styled view of the world atm due to the similar sized sprites I have. Sorry if there I any spelling errors im typing this on a phone because this literally is keeping me up till 1:00am. Thanks in advance. Also I would be glad to give out more info if needed.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 09:06:05 PM by Royal Den Studios » Logged

-Thank you for your time.
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 11:57:25 PM »

I normally wouldn't pair turn-based combat with action-like map movement.
Top-down.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
PixelJunkie
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 10:53:51 PM »

I tried making a turn based rpg on gamemaker before. I found it really difficult. Even something as simple as a dialogue engine drove me insane
DanglinBob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 08:51:02 AM »

Seeing as you can get RPG maker right now on the humble bundle (which granted, can't do an action RPG as well) - it just seems more suited to what you want to do.
Jordgubben
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 11:18:09 AM »

Hello. I making a RPG game with turn based combat and having trouble with some mechanics. I'm not sure of the over world aspect of the game should be platformer or top-down. I'm doing this in game maker and not using the 3D. (Platformer like child of light or top down like final fantasy or bravely default.) if I do platformer it would be easier on the graphics side by harder on the design side. Then if I do top down it would be the other way around. And if I do top down in not sure if I should have enemies walking around or if should just be a random encounter. I'm thinking of a chroma squad styled view of the world atm due to the similar sized sprites I have. Sorry if there I any spelling errors im typing this on a phone because this literally is keeping me up till 1:00am. Thanks in advance. Also I would be glad to give out more info if needed.

It does not sound like you have any special mechanic that benefits from the platforming. Top down view is simpler to navigate, this is why most traditional (W&J)RPG:s use them. Having the player  do a lot of jumping around will not really help a game that is probably more about strategic preparation and less about real time input.

Royal Den Studios
Level 0

Hello

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 11:49:41 AM »

It does not sound like you have any special mechanic that benefits from the platforming. Top down view is simpler to navigate, this is why most traditional (W&J)RPG:s use them. Having the player  do a lot of jumping around will not really help a game that is probably more about strategic preparation and less about real time input.

Thanks for the advice. That makes a lot of sense. My only problem is that game maker has a not so good isometric tiling system as well as isometric coliision so i'll have to improvise. Thanks again!

-Thank you for your time.
DXimenes
Level 0

writer, pixel artist, game designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 09:24:15 AM »

You can always aim for a more organic movement/action system determined by decreasing AP and having a button that "resets" your movement.
More recently, I can only remember Supergiant Games' Transistor, but you should take a look at Quest 64 (N64) and Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter (PS2).

All of them are either orth or 3D, but the system can be applied to any camera view you can think.
It goes like this:

- Each character has a certain number of "AP" to spend;
- Moving spends AP;
- Actions (attacks, skills) also do;
- Each character turn, you move around and "plan" your actions, which will decrease your AP according to what you chose;
- Press [Button 1] to confirm your actions or [Button 2] to reset the turn, refunding your AP and starting over.
- Rinse & Repeat.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic