Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 02:53:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesNintendo President Satoru Iwata Dies At 55
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Nintendo President Satoru Iwata Dies At 55  (Read 3170 times)
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2015, 08:51:26 AM »

Never heard of Takeda either.

Takeda focused more on the hardware side of things (basically he was pretty much in charge of the consoles and arcades). He also was responsible for Punch Out, for what matters.

And no, I didn't hear about his name until yesterday either =P
foreignsubstances
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2015, 09:17:21 AM »

Rest in peace.

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2015, 11:58:36 AM »

Wow, I am surprised Takeda is not as recognized as I would have expected.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2015, 12:04:52 PM »

I heard of Totaka. Does that count?

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2015, 12:25:42 PM »

Well, people from the industry are finally getting recognition but most developers are still pretty unknown to most people. While everyone knows Miyamoto and Sakurai, there are dozens of talented developers inside Nintendo like Takeda and Koizumi that never take the spotlight.

airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2015, 12:30:07 PM »

Awful news
still dont believe it

mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2015, 06:12:34 PM »

There are many things to say, but words only go as far. In our hearts and minds we are game developers and gamers, not writers, so we felt the most appropriate way to express our feelings and gratitude was through a videogame.

http://simogo.com/2015/07/13/thank-you-mr-iwata/

Where's the Spelunky 2 DevLog, Derek?
chrisDeneos
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2015, 02:18:50 AM »

My tribute to Satoru Iwata Sad He was a great man, and the gaming world will miss him. Worst news from a long time.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2015, 02:53:51 AM »

The Guardian: Satoru Iwata changed the whole games industry and now leaves it in mourning
When Iwata arrived, he brought with him a “blue ocean” philosophy: instead of competing with rivals like the PlayStation and Xbox on technical specs, Nintendo would explore entirely new areas of design. He thought differently from other corporate leaders in the industry, for one very important reason: Iwata learned his trade in the trenches of game development

Speaking at the Game Developers Conference in 2005, Iwata said: “Making games look more photorealistic is not the only means of improving the game experience. I know, on this point I risk being misunderstood, so remember, I am a man who once programmed a baseball game with no baseball players. If anyone appreciates graphics, it’s me! But my point is that this is just one path to improved game. We need to find others. Improvement has more than one definition.”

When the Wii was first revealed, the industry scoffed once again. The graphics processors were inferior to those in the latest PlayStation and Xbox machines and the Wii remote controller seemed like a gimmick. But then people started playing early titles like Wii Sports and Wii Play – they were intuitive, fun and social. Anyone could get involved. Word of mouth spread and by mid-2007, Wii had sold more units than the PS3 and Xbox 360 put together. People were holding Wii parties, and everyone who attended was going out and buying their own machine the next day. It sold over 100m units.
In 2013, following the sluggish performance of the Wii U, Iwata was pressed by investors to cut Nintendo’s staff to save money. “If we reduce the number of employees for better short-term financial results, employee morale will decrease,” Iwata replied. “I sincerely doubt employees who fear that they may be laid off will be able to develop software titles that could impress people around the world.” Nintendo cut no staff.

When a (non-gamer) friend asked about who he was, I summarised it as "imagine if Steve Wozniak had been put in charge of Apple instead of Steve Jobs"
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2015, 03:37:42 AM »

In 2013, following the sluggish performance of the Wii U, Iwata was pressed by investors to cut Nintendo’s staff to save money. “If we reduce the number of employees for better short-term financial results, employee morale will decrease,” Iwata replied. “I sincerely doubt employees who fear that they may be laid off will be able to develop software titles that could impress people around the world.” Nintendo cut no staff.

wow that is pretty rad. he will be missed Sad
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2015, 06:53:06 AM »

Can we please celebrate more people like this while they are alive? Would it not be great if people went out of their way to recognize the worth of leaders who genuinely care about their craft and people? I sincerely hope this wave of everyone learning about Nintendo's staff achieves this, because no one deserves to die unappreciated for their efforts only to be called a visionary postmortem.

PixelJunkie
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2015, 03:49:43 PM »

I don't think anyone expected him to die at the age of 55!
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2015, 06:45:43 PM »

Can we please celebrate more people like this while they are alive? Would it not be great if people went out of their way to recognize the worth of leaders who genuinely care about their craft and people? I sincerely hope this wave of everyone learning about Nintendo's staff achieves this, because no one deserves to die unappreciated for their efforts only to be called a visionary postmortem.

Well, Nintendo celebrated him enough to make him president. He was frequently praised in the press. I'm not sure how you would celebrate a guy more, while he was alive. Build a creepy stalker shrine?

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2015, 07:53:31 PM »

In honor of Satoru Iwata, Game Developers Conference is posting his GDC keynotes in full onto YouTube. This keynote, held in 2005, is entitled Heart of a Gamer.

Where's the Spelunky 2 DevLog, Derek?
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2015, 01:37:51 AM »

I love what he says at the beginning of that video

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic