Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 06:18:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallPlanetbase on Steam Greenlight
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Planetbase on Steam Greenlight  (Read 1806 times)
tucho
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 14, 2015, 11:12:31 AM »

Hi there, our game Planetbase is on Steam Greenlight. The game is being made by just 5 people; I'm the responsible of all the visuals (except for the UI), from the art direction to the asset creation.

I hope you like it, any vote or help to spread the project is more than welcome Smiley

I paste below the content of our Steam Greenlight page. Later on I'll post more stuff on this same thread, as soon as I have a bit of time to set up some pictures of the models, etc.

In the meantime you can find more pictures from this project on our website

Planetbase is a strategy game where you guide a group of space settlers trying to establish an outpost in a remote planet.

In the game you play the role of the base architect and manager, telling your colonists where to build the structures they will need to survive. You will have to ensure that they have an constant supply of oxygen, food and water to stay alive.

You will get them to collect energy, extract water, mine metal, grow food, manufacture bots, and build a fully self-sufficient base.
Even if the game is not intended to be a simulator, all the mechanics are plausible, and based on what the expected challenges of establishing a colony in an new planet would be.

• Three different planets with different conditions and increasing difficulty.

• Harness solar and wind energy (if available) in order to power the base's structures.

• Grow hydroponic Vegetables and synthesize Vitromeat to feed your population.

• Mine and produce raw resources, process them, manufacture goods, and establish a production chain.
  • Carefully manage the colonist immigration flow to ensure you have the people with the right skills.

• Survive disasters like meteors, sandstorms or solar flares and defend your base from intruders.

• Mechanize your base by manufacturing your own bots that will help with the more arduous tasks.

• Grow your colony from a few initial pioneers to a vibrant planetbase with hundreds of colonists.

Madruga Works is a studio founded by MartiƱo Figueroa and Tucho Fernandez, two ex-EA and ex-Ubisoft veterans of the games industry, you can find more info about us at our website

The expected release date for the game is September 2015.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 02:22:59 PM by tucho » Logged

tucho
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 02:22:08 PM »

Here are a couple of pictures of one of the character models: the astronaut

And also a W.I.P picture of the biodome components, the models which I'm working on right now.

tucho
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 02:51:35 PM »

Planetbase has been greenlit in just one week :D

Thank you everyone for your support!!! We are now working flat out to finish the game and release it as soon as possible.

If you want to get updates on the progress you can follow us on Twitter or Facebook or on the new forum in our website.

del
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 09:52:27 AM »

Congrats! Any tips on how you did it?

Four Realms. Action RPG. Platformer. Animals.
tucho
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 04:33:03 PM »

Thank you del, It's hard to summarize all the process in few words... I think that one of the most importan things when you start a game project is to set up realistic goals and deadlines keeping in mind the team and resources tha you have, I think that we did quite well that part, and if everything keep going well in September our game will be ready for release.

tucho
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 04:33:15 PM »

We will be showing a live demo of the game at the Media Indie Exchange at the SIGGRAPH next week in LA, come around and have a look if you are there!

tucho
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 02:53:50 PM »

I've just finished all the art for the character variations for the game: we have various ethnic and hairstyle versions of every character, which will make colonists more unique and relatable.

This is the last major piece of art left in the game, we are now in the process of finishing some minor things and we will be launching a closed beta very soon.

Anyway I'll post here some more pictures of the existing art, as soon as I have some time to prepare the images.

woodsmoke
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 11:23:08 PM »

Hey this looks really good. I'm in. Smiley

tucho
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 08:36:24 AM »

Thank you melerski Smiley

We are finally ready to start the closed beta for Planetbase later this week. The plan is to stay in beta for about a month and then launch the game (so the estimated launch date is now mid October).

We will be giving away keys for the first 100 mails received, We expect some feedback and bug report if it is the case, and you will receive a copy of the final game when released.

If you are interested in participating please mail us to [email protected], please include your system specs and also specify if you are fluent in any of: English, Spanish, French or German.

terahard
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 09:46:01 AM »

Wow, looks great! And congrats on getting Greenlit so quick!

tucho
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2015, 11:47:04 AM »

thank you terahad and thanks to all of you for so many mails!!! Smiley, We've now given out all of the 100 keys for the beta of Planetbase. We might do another round in a couple of weeks.

tucho
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 09:26:06 AM »

We've published the final trailer of Planetbase

Steam page for this game is also done, you can follow the game there; the countdown for the release (Oct 16th) has started Smiley

« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 09:36:50 AM by tucho » Logged

tucho
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 10:45:07 AM »

A video showing food production mechanics in the game

BishopGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2015, 11:47:36 AM »

Looks outstanding.

Just my type of game too. I'm a huge sucker for sci-fi/survival-RTS and space games. I wish you the best and will definitely purchase a copy once it goes live.

Cheers!

Co-founder at http://bishopgames.com/ and http://lightfallgame.com/
Currently working on our first title called Light Fall
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bishopgamesstudio
and Twitter: https://twitter.com/BishopGamesStd
Lugen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2015, 12:55:48 PM »

Looks fantastic, in context with the Mars-like environment in particular. I do wonder why they're building colonies on uninhabitable planets though.
Maybe not the most exciting trailer but it still looks fun. Any plans for Linux?
Jabberwocky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2015, 10:48:27 AM »

Looks like you guys know what you're doing! 

At first, I was wondering why you went to all the trouble to model the insides of the buildings, with all the associated activity inside.  Seems like a lot of work for what I assume is a cosmetic feature.  But at the end of the trailer there's a camera fly-over of the base with all the workers and bots milling around doing their thing.  Everything just looks/feels so alive.  So, you won me over on that.

Good luck with the launch! 
That wish seems double fitting for a space colonization game. Smiley
tucho
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2015, 11:08:59 AM »

Thank you very much for your kind comments guys, you encourage us to give our best!!! Smiley

Any plans for Linux?

We're focused on Windows version first, but maybe we make ports to Mac and Linux in the future.

I was wondering why you went to all the trouble to model the insides of the buildings, with all the associated activity inside.  Seems like a lot of work for what I assume is a cosmetic feature

Yep, as you said it is mainly a cosmetic feature, I refined the models a bit more than necessary for the regular point of view of the game, to let the players use the close up cameras on the domes and see what their colonists are doing Smiley

tucho
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2015, 11:09:12 AM »

After a year of development, Planetbase, the off-world colony builder, is finally out on Steam!!!

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2015, 10:17:02 AM »

I purchased your game and made a Steam review here.

I'm sorry, I wish I could be more positive, but ultimately your game is not sufficiently challenging and/or giving direction to the next challenge.

SC2000, to take a classic in the city-management genre, made you work your ass off to get arcologies and stuff and encourage constant growth. Here, the only thing that encourages growth beyond survival is the achievement list, which is not very engaging, as a player. You've made all the mistakes that Prison Architect and Banished did, and very few of the correct moves.

But you've made a very lovely game, don't get me wrong.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
tucho
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2015, 05:13:27 PM »

Thanks for the purchase and feedback starsrift Smiley, I'm sorry to hear that our game didn't meet your expectations Sad.

I guess that our game is not for everyone, if you're a user who love the games that you mentioned (Banished and Prison Architect, etc...) probably you will love Planetbase, if you dislike this kind of games, Planetbase probably won't be your favourite either... we are receiving mixed reviews, mostly positive so far, from people who love the game, but also many ones like yours from people who is not totally satisfied with it.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic