Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 04:57:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSOLUS
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: SOLUS  (Read 4941 times)
doobieshrum
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 16, 2015, 01:59:29 PM »

This is where your shadow goes when you sleep.

SOLUS is a sidescrolling platform adventure game where you play as someones shadow. Due to uncontrollable events - you forget who you are. Midnight strikes as your human counterpart falls asleep. But what becomes of you? Do you have any purpose as to who you are? Or are you just a mimic of another personality? Welcome home.

The game will feature a dark, post apocalyptic-esk environment accompanied by a dark ambient soundtrack. You will explore the world you go when you are no longer needed. The game will feature scenes of dialogue and interaction with other shadows along with platforming and scavenging mechanics. Everyone needs help in such a desolate place...

This game is in a really early development phase at the moment. I am a one man team but I am working every week at getting a demo out which will feature a good 20 minutes of gameplay to give everyone something to get their hands onto. You can expect the demo to be out in around 2 months. It will be posted on here when its done so you don't miss out!

Thanks for checking out my game in development.

SOLUS on indedb - http://www.indiedb.com/games/solus

The game itself is inspired by games such as Limbo and botanicula. SOLUS is being developed in Game Maker.

My twitter where I post updates on everything I do including SOLUS - www.twitter.com/doobieshrum
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 12:48:16 PM by doobieshrum » Logged

twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 04:08:35 PM »

I'd suggest a name change. But I love the art man, can't wait to see more.

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 08:29:29 PM »

Man that GIF has so much character to it. Awesome work, keep it up.

doobieshrum
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 02:44:31 PM »

17/07/2015

+ We now have basic movement ability which I will post soon.
+ More art is being produced.
+ I am still sane.

But seriously. Here are a few more teaser art pics for the time being. (both wip at the moment)
Im preparing a big DevLog update for next week which will give everyone a bit more information on the game + actual gameplay(I know, right?).

Thanks for the kind words so far, guys.

House - Work in Progress

Note Design - Work in Progress
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 02:54:32 PM by doobieshrum » Logged

twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
MintBo@rd_9322
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 03:10:35 PM »

Dude!! Really love the art man!! love the grunge feel that it has!
Mark Mayers
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 05:09:26 PM »

I'd suggest a name change. But I love the art man, can't wait to see more.

Also, no relation to 'Desolus' hahahaha.

I'm not one of those people to pursue a trademark claim over a relatively common word ('Solus' being a Latin word for 'alone' or 'solitary').

I don't know about those devs, however.

*Back to your game!*

I like your theme and the art is interesting! I'm curious to read about the mechanics.

Keep up the good work Smiley

Desolus Twitter: @DesolusDev Website: http://www.desolus.com DevLog: On TIG!
doobieshrum
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 05:35:25 PM »

Thanks a lot guys! All it needs now is a nirvana soundtrack and it's definitely a contender for #1 grungiest game of the year! I should have really done a bit more research in the naming regions. Although I wasn't really planning on trademarking anything as I don't plan on selling it - it's just my first game. But I will look into it!

twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
Mark Mayers
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 06:27:15 PM »

Thanks a lot guys! All it needs now is a nirvana soundtrack and it's definitely a contender for #1 grungiest game of the year! I should have really done a bit more research in the naming regions. Although I wasn't really planning on trademarking anything as I don't plan on selling it - it's just my first game. But I will look into it!

RIP Kurt Cobain never 4 get Sad

The name thing is largely irrelevant, do what you want to do, and keep on making cool stuff!! Smiley

Desolus Twitter: @DesolusDev Website: http://www.desolus.com DevLog: On TIG!
doobieshrum
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2015, 02:54:45 PM »

Here is some more art for the time being. (Im also liking these development gifs - So im going to keep posting more of them throughout development.

I will be posting that big update tomorrow on the first gameplay developments.

Til then.

twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
sidbarnhoorn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 04:33:47 AM »

Hi Thomas, this looks great. Good luck with the development! :-)

Siddhartha Barnhoorn
--------------------
Award winning composer

Composed music for the games Antichamber, Out There, The Stanley Parable, Planet Alpha...

http://www.sidbarnhoorn.com
Bandcamp:
https://siddharthabarnhoorn.bandcamp.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/SidBarnhoorn
Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

Iron Synth Chef & Voltage Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 06:03:20 AM »

Looks great! Don't go overboard with the note design... looks a tad cheesy.

doobieshrum
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2015, 12:28:14 PM »

Leo J - Thank you. And yes I noticed they were looking a little cliche so Ive revised the writing. (Turns out pretending your mentally ill while writing a depressing note is quite difficult haha)

sidbarnhoorn - Cheers! Im enjoying it so far.

Its been around a week since the last update of this games development. I have mainly been writing story and scenarios with different shadows you will encounter as you explore (which I think will make this game really special). I have also been implementing basic movement and animation. (Although I think the walk is looking a bit too 'sassy' at the moment, any thoughts?)

As I am more of an arty guy I make alot of art. I dont want to show alot of the art I have made as it will reveal stuff that spoils the story etc. But there are a few assets below of one of the screens you will first step inside of - which is an old man's shack.

(I am also updating my first post on this page as I have realised its a little shallow in detail of the game. So I hope this game makes alot more sense when Im done with that.

twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2015, 01:21:01 PM »

Man, this is gorgeous! I'm a huge fan of dark games (art and story-material). i'm really impressed with the artwork, and am eager to see how it plays a part in further pushing this environment you've made.

Ha, I dig the sassy walk, though it feels as though he is sliding (on the first initial step)? Almost like he is taking bigger than normal steps, and having to slide to cover distance a bit. It could just be me, though!

doobieshrum
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2015, 01:29:41 PM »

M4uesviecr - Seems like this game should be right up your street then. I agree with the sliding. Im definitely going to be tweeking it when I come back to it. Thanks for the kind words Smiley

(The gif has cut the framerate in half but it definetly looks better in raw in-game footage.)

twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
doobieshrum
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2015, 09:11:52 AM »

+Implemented room transitions

+Added ladder. (Still a few bugs to fix with them + the animation is placeholder)

twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
doobieshrum
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2015, 04:06:48 PM »

+Fixed ladder collision bug where you would continue to go through the floor when going far down ladder
+Fixed wonky animation
+Fixed some animation glitches
+Added fall frame for smooth(er) falls off ladders
+Player snaps to ladder

Im currently experimenting with ways that I can play a get on/get off animation when you touch a block at the top and bottom of ladders. Im going to experiment doing this by making a variable true when you first press up and you are inside a collision block. An animation of you getting on the ladder will play and the var will be set to true so you can progress up the ladder.

twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2015, 04:13:30 PM »

Just wanted to say I'm really digging the mood you've got with this. Best of luck...

doobieshrum
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 08:42:16 AM »

I am using this Snooty's Bar scene alot - but only because it is the only fully animated scene at the moment. For the rest of this week I am mainly focusing on programming > art.

The really bad gif above demonstrates some simple NPC Interaction. I am currently trying to figure out a way I can have an arrow pointing to the person speaking so there can be back and forth conversations without any confusion.

Really proud of what is being produced so far though.

More cool art and animated environments coming soon!  Evil

twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
ChuquiStudios
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 09:02:39 AM »

Nice style, somehow reminds me of the Dig.

Looking forward to see more content coming, keep up the good work!

Cheers,
Bluebutton
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2015, 02:24:37 PM »

The art style is fantastic!

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic